amansuman

Working in Australia

238 posts in this topic

Hi

I am working in Australia since 2009. Would be happy to help anyone who needs help

Cheers

2 people like this

as british citizen do you need work permit to work in australia for short periods i.e, 6 months .going through agency or contacting hospital directly is better?

Hi

I am working in Australia since 2009. Would be happy to help anyone who needs help

Cheers

Hi,

can you let us knnow , where U R working ,which subspeciality.... locum or substantive... how is the working condition ,...ur role.... pay.....lifestyle... ect..

much appreciated .... do u have CCT..???

thanks

Edited by psych cat

Hi

Cheers

Thank you for your gesture Aman...

- Tigaon -----not very sure if as a British citizen you need a work permit

Psyc cat - I don't have CCT

Working in Sydney western suburbs . Registrar training post. Going to get general registration. As compared to UK training not so good . Practical work as in UK infact somewhat better. Pay much much better. More option to earn in private in future.

Lifestyle much better. Houses bigger , weather nice, people good more multicultural not as polite as in UK. Overall much satisfied.

Pay senior reg ranges from $78000 to $ 145000 (aust dollars) (includes oncall pay)

CMO starts $110000 - $245000

Consultants $150000 starting

Cheers

sorry to butt in but what about someone without RCPsych but almost 7 years of UK experience.do we have any hope of a career there

Peechoo you would be happy to know that In Australia your experience is more recognized than MRCPsych. I am not saying MRCPsych degree is not valued it's only that if you are stuck then there is always hope as with everything in life - it's not end of life. If you apply for training job your experience will be counted first

Peechoo you would be happy to know that In Australia your experience is more recognized than MRCPsych. I am not saying MRCPsych degree is not valued it's only that if you are stuck then there is always hope as with everything in life - it's not end of life. If you apply for training job your experience will be counted first

i read this post with interest - things are ok with this post and am happy aman is trying to help out people -only warning is gen. registration is only beginning you have long 5 years at least in front of you- which includes exams ;psychotherapy etc

i read this post with interest - things are ok with this post and am happy aman is trying to help out people -only warning is gen. registration is only beginning you have long 5 years at least in front of you- which includes exams ;psychotherapy etc

Please advise me how to go about Australia. I am fed up with the changes in visa rules in uk. After being in uk for seven years I dont see settlement, which I think is a sign that I should try somewhere else. Do agencies help in finding jobs or any web site where jobs are advertised. I have 6 years of experience and have done MRCPsych. I have heard that it has become difficult to get jobs in Australia.

Rdgupta - just to clarify some time lines

-- initial paperwork for application and visa - it took 4 months

-- gen reg via competent. Authority pathway -- 1 yr and 1 month

-- your initial 1 yr is counted retrospectively -- people complete their psychotherapy requirement during this yr - infact if you do a long case 40 - 1hr sessions in UK under supervision then you save more time here.

-- you are eligible to give part1 as soon as you become college member which is 3-6 months after gen. Reg.

-- overall I feel if you clear your exams quickly then you can become consultant in 2-3yrs from your initial job application.

Shrey - there are jobs in Australia. Definitely for people like you with experience and exam.

1st decide place you want to go as rules vary from state to state. I can advise you of NSW where I work. There is lot of demand. You can apply online on local websites.

Locum agencies can also get you job although they get you ones which provides them profit. I have not tried one. Always confirm from Locum agency what kind of job they are giving whether training or non training. Tell me if you need further help

Cheers

-- your initial 1 yr is counted retrospectively -- people complete their psychotherapy requirement during this yr - infact if you do a long case 40 - 1hr sessions in UK under supervision then you save more time here.

-- you are eligible to give part1 as soon as you become college member which is 3-6 months after gen. Reg.

-- overall I feel if you clear your exams quickly then you can become consultant in 2-3yrs from your initial job application.

Shrey - there are jobs in Australia. Definitely for people like you with experience and exam.

1st decide place you want to go as rules vary from state to state. I can advise you of NSW where I work. There is lot of demand. You can apply online on local websites.

Locum agencies can also get you job although they get you ones which provides them profit. I have not tried one. Always confirm from Locum agency what kind of job they are giving whether training or non training. Tell me if you need further help

Cheers

So this takes us to the question about Job Websites and the timing of job applications?

Cheers

Dont wish to quarrel on the forum with time lines but from what i am seeing in melbourne i can quote below-

psychotherapy you would need a supervisor - they are unlikely to give you one till you are in training which means post gen reg.

next exams theory ans practs occur 6 mthly -however clever you may be it will take you at least 1 year post gen reg to get that

finally you have forgotten advanced training- there is no policy under RANZCP to give retropective accrd. for advanced which is 2 years- fastest is 4 yrs and it is usually longer than that- important thing is to give a realistic expectation about the things which may happen- the observed interview+ consultative excercises and first contact case standard are becoming tougher so it may be tricky to get it in 5 years which would be a realistic expectation rather than setting up a failing goal

but having said the above in 4-5 y time you may have a career as things stand now which is hazy in uk- with no clear rules; no clear discriminatory criterias anybody can be a king one minute and pauper another

Hi Rdgupta ,

I agree with your time lines and views although things ate quite different in Sydney where I work .

NY

Job websites are local ones. Google it.

I can tell you about part of Sydney I work in. Interviews and ads come out all the time. Usually intake in Jan and then July each year

Cheers

Cheers

Thanks for the reply. I will try to google for the jobs.

Dear RD Gupta,

I saw you that you have passed the FRANZCP part 1

Can you please tell me what FRANZCP exams consist of?

Secondly can you tell me how is working in Melbourne as you are working there. What are the chances of career progression. What does it mean when someone says, Year 3 registrar. Are you working in the Monash Medical Centre, how are the on calls and normal day to day work.

Thanks

I will also appreciate if you could please let us know your email or phone number as you seem to be holding the key to the Worm-hole.

Edited by unknown

Dear RD Gupta,

I saw you that you have passed the FRANZCP part 1

Can you please tell me what FRANZCP exams consist of?

Secondly can you tell me how is working in Melbourne as you are working there. What are the chances of career progression. What does it mean when someone says, Year 3 registrar. Are you working in the Monash Medical Centre, how are the on calls and normal day to day work.

Thanks

I will also appreciate if you could please let us know your email or phone number as you seem to be holding the key to the Worm-hole.

answ.ques.FRANZCP 2 exam parts

theory 2 day game- day 1 EMQ+ Short answer quest- scoring day

day2- critical analysis+essay+ modified essay question- low scoring but must pass 3 of the 5 sections total

pass %can vary but now good

pract 2 types -

ECE- a junior consultant level exam(20-30% pass)(EACH HAS OBSV INTERVIEW + OSCES BUT STANDARD VARY B/W CONSULTANT AND TRAINEE)

training- advanced trainee level(45-50% pass)

to do any Practs you must fullfill all training needs set by ranzcp

for trainee- psychotherapy long case+obsv interview+ consultative exerci.+first case presentation+ngo+indegeneous

for ECE -indegenous_obsv + consl. exercises etc- see college website u will understand+NGO

but for ECEu have to get exemptions first which u r unlikely to get in the current climate

no iam not in monash at least not pre fellowship

all pass % can vary- demand and supply

yr 3 registrar means u shall get 3 rd yr reg pay near i do not know exactly but nearly 90-100 basic

on calls are on the basis of a complex point based system- 3-3.5 points a month- expect 24 hrs wkend +2 wkdays

DEM usually has a committed CMO(daytime)

hope it helped;rest u have to join &find out as each place is different; u cannot join training programme unless u get gen reg. or exempted(ie can give exams pretty quickly)

intake jan 19

I thought RDGupta is a staff grade in UK.

in the past yes but not now- good night mate:D

Good morning, Are you pleased you made the move. Did you fix a job through agency?

Hi

I am just adding to RD Gupta's post.

I have a friend with MRCPsych who has had retrospective accreditation + appeared for ECE in 2.5 yrs. He already had psychotherapy experience from UK. Was exempted from rest of stuff . Infact some of his Aus exp has been recognized towards advanced training.

He is in NSW . It seems condition are quite different in Melbourne.

G'day

Hi

I have a friend with MRCPsych who has had retrospective accreditation + appeared for ECE in 2.5 yrs. He already had psychotherapy experience from UK. Was exempted from rest of stuff . Infact some of his Aus exp has been recognized towards advanced training.

G'day

Another problem with Australia is that even after fellowship, your work is restricted for 5 or 10 years. You will not be able to practice independently i.e privately before this time passes. This is something I could not understand the rationale behind !! Would Dr. Gupta and Aman shed some light into this please?

By the way Dr. Gupta, did you work at the QEPH in Birminghsm just before you left to Australia??

Hi NY

If you have general registration and have not come via area of need pathway, then once you get your papers i.e. complete your training, I think there is no restriction in terms of your work. Your registration is general and unsupervised. Your FRANZCP lets you work in government and private independently.

On other hand I have consultants working in our area who have come under area of need scheme and have been consultant for last 10 yr-- supervising juniors. But they cant work in private or outside the post they are working in as they should always be supervised till they become college fellows.

So best way is

1. take the pathway leading to general registration with AMC

2. appear for college exams

I don't know if other people have different understanding to this

G'DAY

Hi

G'day

didnt get this one if had retrspective then how did he appear for ECE and if did ECEwhy advanced training ?? any way no point doing the posts again and again have answered most things about oz in previous posts- 10 y moratorium hold for ALL doctors unless they wish to move out of cities(area of need)- when in oz as you grow higher you will find hard to resist cities! this is because oz wishes to develop health in rural oz- FRANZCP will make no difference as conditions will apply--why did the person appear for ECE2.5 y after enetering oz-