Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gungho49

Tattooing and Mental Capacity

22 posts in this topic

What are peoples views on requests of tattoing by patients in long term wards and the implications of Capacity and mental health on this choice. Do you feel there are situations other than the person being acutely psychotic to not permit this while an inpatient.Lets say if there is a chance that the tattoo will later feed on to the delusional system of the individual causing his mental health to spiral down.While a long term inpatient its our responsibility to provide a as normal life as possible to the patient.But at the same time we cannot give an opportunity to the patient to accuse us later that we did not prevent him from making a wrong decision when unwell (considering the permanent nature of tattoos). Remember I am talking about long term wards. In short term acute wards I wud imagine this shud b less of an issue.

I think you are talking about patients who are on Rehab due to their long term poor mental health or continuing cognitive impairment.

Usually, in such cases, you have welfare and financial guardianship.

I will leave those things to the guardian rather than interfere, and concentrate on more pressing things such as getting the treatment in place and finding the apropriate placement to rehouse the patient.

Usually, in such cases, you have welfare and financial guardianship.

not necessarily noc.inspite of new ways of working and all sometimes as the chair of mdt we v will be in a position to make this decision even if after thorough consultation with members of mdt.also rather than issues of capacity criteria what i am looking for is individual opinions on this specific issue of tattoos. :)

what i am looking for is individual opinions on this specific issue of tattoos. :)

i got a tatoo a few months ago.. and what people said about them are true.. they are addictive.. once you have one you want more.. i regret my tattoo only because it doesnt leave much room (not because its big, but because of the kind of tattoo (a snake and panther one))..

but will definitely get some more.. maybe even fill up my whole left arm with them..

some of you will be aghast with this.. but those of you who have a tattoo (im thinking nobody on here) will see where im coming from..

one tattoo and the way you view tattoos changes forever..

Personally I don't have anything against tattoos.

I would certainly not mind my patient going out and getting himself/herself a tattoo. I do not think I will consider doing a capacity assessment on him/her just because he/she wants to get a tattoo.

Most of us do silly things when we are drunk. Does that mean we have to have a capacity assessment each time we decide to do something silly under the influence? :-?

Its a tattoo FGS!!!

And bub you should gt a 'snake in the eagle shadow' or something :)

Call me old fashioned - Tattoes get on my nerves

But if somebody wants to have tattoes, patient or doctor, they don't need capacity assessment. But we should assess our capacity to deal with them :lol:

Most of us do silly things when we are drunk. Does that mean we have to have a capacity assessment each time we decide to do something silly under the influence?  

there is a huge difference noc. for people on section here we are treating someone saying that they dont have the capacity to take a decision on their own whether they stay formal or informal.but that does not mean they dont have capacity to decide on a tattoo i agree. and we have allowed many patients to do tattoos as long as it does not involve illegal body parts like face or certain areas of hands. but where it becomes a complex issue is when making this decision for treatment resistant schizophrenic patients with ongoing complex delusional systems inspite of having their clozapine augmented and the whole lot of psycho social inteventions in place.also when these complex delusions are a real management issue as far as their risk of imminent, severe violence is concerned. There is a high chance of the tattoos bcoming a part of the delusional system and start feeding it. So in this case it bcomes quite a diifilcult task to make a decision.  

personally i wud go for tattoos only if they are temporary.I like tattooed looks but i dont want anything permanent on my body and apparently an overwhelming majority of ppl regret their tattoos later in life. but nowadays i thought there were tattoo removals done isnt it :-?

i got a tatoo a few months ago.. and what people said about them are true.. they are addictive.. once you have one you want more.. i regret my tattoo only because it doesnt leave much room (not because its big, but because of the kind of tattoo (a snake and panther one))..

but will definitely get some more.. maybe even fill up my whole left arm with them..

some of you will be aghast with this.. but those of you who have a tattoo (im thinking nobody on here) will see where im coming from..

one tattoo and the way you view tattoos changes forever..

Slarti... thou art not on thy own...

I have two tatoos... one is a tribal one... on my left hand... did it in 2001 - its kind of faded away.. it was a crude one I got when I worked in a tribal area... kind of with fire and a needle...

The second one is chinese... it says 'older brother'... this I got in 2005 before coming here, with my younger brother who obviously got the word 'younger brother' tatooed on his right upper arm...

I was not drunk both times... and it is a perfectly fine decision... never regreted it and never will...

I too have tatoo ,got it done few yrs ago here in uk.Have not regretted uptill now, and agree with bub its addictive .

To answer mp3 question , i dont think having mental illness should take patient's complete human rights away.Next we would question their right to smoke as it damages their lungs. Its qestion of where to draw the line.

matrix personally i am not one for taking away patients rights.in fact i am on the other end of the spectrum who will want to allow patients do things which to others might sound crazy. my points of concern are

only 2 to summarise.

1. there are people whom i hav personally seen who got a tattoo done under the influence of alcohol and hates themselves for doing it the rest of their lives. (patient not friend). what if while psychotic patient wants the tattoo and while not psychotic he regrets it.

2. like i mentioned above in people with extremely bizarre and complex delusional systems and somatic perceptional abnormalities and this directly relevant to their extreme violence to others, what about the chances of tattoo feeding into these.

inspite of all these at the end of the day after proper consultaion with mdt and recording of the same one might agree for the same.but i just wanted to get different perspectives. :)

i really think the right wing authoritarian way in which we are required to practice really gets to us..

if this was in a place like india.. the doc would just tell the patient.. do whatever you want.. just do it after you get better.. and the patient would probably listen.. if he still didnt.. and went out of his way to get it.. then its his problem..

here we learn a 'i know whats best for you mentality'.. well, we fricking well dont.. and its presumptuous to think otherwise..

heck.. i have a good idea about the latest and greatest tech.. but what id buy is completely different from a lot of other people.. other peoples buying decisions might drive me potty.. and vice versa..

it has always gotten to me how we can presume to steal these peoples lives away from them..

OT tests and the like.. and if they fail them then whammo.. long term lock up.. and they call this 'rehab'..

heck.. if i had schizophrenia.. and just want to stay at home playing xbox and eat pot noodles.. that ought to be my choice..

but we are continually exposed, like the powers that be.. to just one reality tunnel.. you cant take care of yourself.. so we WILL take 'care' of you..

how can anybody be sure that the reality they choose for anyone is the best reality for them.. or even the reality that they want..

heck.. most of us dont even know what WE want in our lives..

and the thing is that it only happens to people with a diagnosed mental illness.. if a diabetic chose not to have his insulin.. the government cant touch him.. but god forbid he has a 'mental illness'..

and in some cases create diagnoses and change mental health acts to be able to lock certain sections of society i.e. dissocial, pedophiles up for as long as possible..

and they choose us as psychiatrists to be their agents of social control.. and bless us.. we go along with it with nary a questioning thought..

MP-3... After reading all these articles you have become 'tattoo master' ;)

Jedi Master, this i feel is a cosmetic adornment and anyone is free to indulge in it. If viewed from the perspective of a delusional belief flaring up, it would be better to advise the patient to indulge in the same after inpatient treatment. Thereafter its upto the patient. And why not view it as an attempt to integrate with his contemporaries, who indulge in this as a routine. Thanks.