RedStar

Return to India??

24 posts in this topic

I know this has been discussed ad nauseam in the past, but I suppose it is more relevant today than it was many years ago.

With the standards of living falling here and future prospects improving India, are there others like me who think about taking the plunge and returning home? I know some have and would love to hear from them. You may have heard from those who have returned and may be familiar with their experience. Any input would be helpful i helping me make up my mind.

I know this has been discussed ad nauseam in the past, but I suppose it is more relevant today than it was many years ago.

With the standards of living falling here and future prospects improving India, are there others like me who think about taking the plunge and returning home? I know some have and would love to hear from them. You may have heard from those who have returned and may be familiar with their experience. Any input would be helpful i helping me make up my mind.

By the time the Standards in India and Uk even out, we all be dead long time...so better stay put if ur only reason for moving to India is Future prospects of Improving standards.

Yes your right in thinking, 5 of my friends have recenlty moved back to india and they were all ga-ga about how things are better there now. At the end of the days these guys wanted to live with there family, did not want to wash dishes, did not have to worry about child care.

At the end of the day what are you happy about, living with your family or away from them. Living in the place where you grew and know people.

It a choice we all will make one day but at different times

I don't think it's about parity, as one poster suggests.

People ususally migrate only when there is a significant advantage (monetary, or in some cases security) in doing so as it means having to live with the disadvantages of being in foreign land (social isoaltion, discrimination, etc). Therefore, you do not see people migrating to countries that do not have much additional to offer. As an example, one would not normally migrate from India to, say, Malaysia as the advantges do not make up for what you lose.

So, if the gap is narrowing between India and UK, I suppose it becomes less and less attractive.

Plus, investment now in psychiatry in India may reap benefits in the future as it is a rapidly developing field. Those who have parents living alone in India will have additonal reasons.

As everybody agrees, UK is becoming more and more expensive without a comparable rise in incomes. We can all see house prices dropping all the time. Plus all the amount of effort that goes into work and day to day chores.

Therefore, I wonder....

Yes your right in thinking, 5 of my friends have recenlty moved back to india and they were all ga-ga about how things are better there now. At the end of the days these guys wanted to live with there family, did not want to wash dishes, did not have to worry about child care.

At the end of the day what are you happy about, living with your family or away from them. Living in the place where you grew and know people.

It a choice we all will make one day but at different times

Does anyone know what sort of income can one expect in the beginning in a private hospital in a metro?

My friend has returned to India for good few months ago.He was trained as physician,MRCP.During my visit to india i was really surprised how fast his private practise has picked up within few months. He is doing practise in rural/village areas as his home town is in rural area. People in his home town were quite pleased with his return and "foreign degree".In his town there was no physician with post grad experience.Practising in the metro cities is quite different. There are plenty of highly qualified doctors in cities with well established practise and their territories,sustaining in the metro cities might be tough initially but might yeild good results on long term basis.

Psychiatry -there is not much awareness in rural areas,in cities it is slowly picking up.

1 person likes this

I don't think it's about parity, as one poster suggests.

People ususally migrate only when there is a significant advantage (monetary, or in some cases security) in doing so as it means having to live with the disadvantages of being in foreign land (social isoaltion, discrimination, etc). Therefore, you do not see people migrating to countries that do not have much additional to offer. As an example, one would not normally migrate from India to, say, Malaysia as the advantges do not make up for what you lose.

So, if the gap is narrowing between India and UK, I suppose it becomes less and less attractive.

Plus, investment now in psychiatry in India may reap benefits in the future as it is a rapidly developing field. Those who have parents living alone in India will have additonal reasons.

As everybody agrees, UK is becoming more and more expensive without a comparable rise in incomes. We can all see house prices dropping all the time. Plus all the amount of effort that goes into work and day to day chores.

Therefore, I wonder....

I agree with RedStar's post...its echoing many of our thoughts.

Ofcourse individual circumstances vary and for some continuing in UK will be a better option

But generally speaking UK is slowly becoming less attractive and less renumerative for the things we endure being away from home - is the trade off still profitable ??

For those with family commitments ( like me), going back in a planned manner is definitely an option..reality is dawning.

It will helpful to hear from colleagues are planning to make the switch

Edited by Optimist77

Final song: We like go towards East only for holidays, but shift more towards West

Edited by Mental

I am itching to get back to India after my CCT.

Cant wait..!

:angry:

Good luck

Tell us howz ur prepn going?

We are in your boat as well mate!

I am itching to get back to India after my CCT.

Cant wait..!

:angry:

This news highlights the appalling shortage of psychiatrists in India.

India ~4000 psychiatrists for a population of ~1100 million

UK ~10000 Consultant psychiatrists for a population of ~ 65 million

USA ~ 45000 psychiatrists for a population of ~ 300 million

India needs ~ 170,000 psychiatrists to match UK level availability !! Frightening statistics

On a positive note- for those willing to accept the challenge of non-NHS type work, there is good scope to thrive in India.

there is plenty of scope to practice in india.. it is just a question of whether u are able to adjust to the system there and whether you are willing to grind it out for 10-12 hours a day to set yourself up in the 'market' in order to earn the money to live a comfortable life, such as you live here...

Hi SagirParkar....

what do you mean by "living a comfortable life ,such as you live here"..

Can you mention some comforts which are not available in India .....I always felt that people who Can afford (in India) are having more comforts than people like you and me here. I may be wrong .. it will interesting to see others opinion aswell

i didnt mean material comforts... what i meant was you dont work 9-5 over there and have the evening all to urself (unless you are oncall).. or get to pursue your hobbies on the weekend or spend the whole weekend with ur family..

and as i mentioned earlier to afford those comforts, you have to grind the hours far more than we'll do here.. you can get many more comforts, and they will be affordable as long as you have a thriving practice.. difference is the number of hours you put in to get those results.. i have seen psychiatric practice in Poona atleast and have always told my friends that the scope of practice is immense.. but no one listens to me :(

the way the system is in india, it more or less conditions you to work as much as you can.. ofcourse, there are people i know who will set aside time for themselves and the families and dont run around at every phone call from a hospital or for a referral.. i personally am that kind of a person and i personally have no problems in going back to india.. in fact my plan is to go back to india..

it is a pity that certain financial issues have made it necessary for me to have hung back in the UK so far..

neways, the reason i mentioned that point in my earlier post was because some ppl i know who have returned from india, couldnt adjust to the hectic work life over there...

neways, the reason i mentioned that point in my earlier post was because some ppl i know who have returned from india, couldnt adjust to the hectic work life over there...

Do you mean they went to India from here and then returned?

yeah.. well, not many that i know have gone back.. among those that did, a couple of them did return..

hence i was being inclusive in my earlier statement about lifestyle, work-life satisfaction etc..

the system in india might not bother me, but for some it is a big deal, esp if they have been in UK for 10 odd years.. more so when u have kids and they cant adjust to the schooling system and pressure back home...

yeah.. well, not many that i know have gone back.. among those that did, a couple of them did return..

hence i was being inclusive in my earlier statement about lifestyle, work-life satisfaction etc..

the system in india might not bother me, but for some it is a big deal, esp if they have been in UK for 10 odd years.. more so when u have kids and they cant adjust to the schooling system and pressure back home...

Thats true..the longer one stays away from India, more difficult it will be to reintegrate when going back....one has to be convinced and willing to grind it out before taking the plunge back to India....the option of being one's own boss is very inviting !

Edited by Optimist77

Veny

I would like to go back to india due to child issues and personal reasons...

I am giving my diploma in clinical psychiatry and could not complete my MRCPsych..may be someday will come back to finish..

can anyone advice me if I can practice with this DCP ireland or not pls

Veny

I am giving my diploma in clinical psychiatry and could not complete my MRCPsych..may be someday will come back to finish..

yes you can.. i checked with the IMA (Indian Medical Association) office in Pune, and they said it was fine.

HI,

folks

It has been an interesting conversation... i f you intend to practice in India , just out of curiosity , where would you start, is it any praticular state.. 

@sagir -- seems like ur  plans are in pune???  and you have checked with  the IMC.. do you have to register before you start practice ?? is there any advantage having a MRCPych  or CCT ....

bcos i am thinking  myself to move to bangalore....

would it be in private practice?  or private hospital??? what would be the remuneration... ??

Lots of questions... I would appreciate it if  people could make comments......

Veny

yes you can.. i checked with the IMA (Indian Medical Association) office in Pune, and they said it was fine.

Permission should be from Medical Council of India not IMA .Having said that I have seen many people practising different specialities with irrelevant  degrees and diplomas and it is not well regulated in India

What Sure says is right.. medical practice is not well regulated at the moment, but MCI and respective state councils are trying to get this under control at the moment, hence the 5 yearly renewal of registrations that are currently in place..

i cant speak for other states, but in Maharashtra, i will have to get my additional qualifications registered with the MMC..  i have DCP from Ireland too, and checked with the president of the IMA in Pune, who confirmed that i can practise psychiatry on that diploma's basis.. as far as i know, the MMC has no objection to it.

It is always better to have the full MRCPsych as a registrable post-grad qualification compared to DCP... and always better to have CCST compared to just MRCPsych. however, as far as the patients are concerned, they only want to see additional letters after MBBS.

as a rule and regulation, no law or MCI (or state council) prohibits any qualified MBBS doctor from prescribing any licensed medicine. so, technically, you can even practise psychiatry with just MBBS as your qualification ! After all, all the years spent in that discipline does count as valid experience and expertise. 

2 people like this

Hi all,
Could anybody pl let me know if there is any tax to be paid in India for rental return from a property overseas. I will file Tax return for this in that country. I have OCI.

A line of reply would be appreciated.

Regards.