stridorus

Which locum agency?

40 posts in this topic

Hi,

Taking a career break from Aug'11 to do locums for a year. Can people suggest good locum agencies? I prefer to work in London and Essex but dont mind the Midlands and TBH anywhere else if it is difficult to get in those areas.

Thanks in advance for your replies

It depends what you mean by a good agency. You will be surprised if you find one. Just go with the flow.

really does not matter which agency u pick-

these days its pot luck who has jobs going-

i am back in the game after a 3 year hiatus

god things have changed

my old agency does not call me-- worked 7 years straight for them - would expect some loyalty-made them a lot of dough -

but trying times change loyalities

currently

i am getting paid 40 bucks /hour by medacs as a MIDDLE GRADE !!!!!

i have got to pay for my own accomodation out of that pay packet

But work is work

-

Hi blame47,

is that as Ltd Company or P.A.Y.E ?- if LTD, times have def changed compared to 2 years back

hi mtas baby

sorry for the late response

but i was ' working "

-figures were for p.a.y.e-

- damn i was on 45 approx 4 years ago before my sojourn

but noted that low pay usually equates to your agency having exclusive contracts with the trust-

cheers-

I worked for a very good agency and was looked after very well.

Good pay and nice people to work with.

martyn on 07720329170, give her a call and say Karen sent you.

Hi Stridorus,

Not sure if you are already registered with ProMedical, however we are based in Essex and have a contract in place with St Andrew's Healthcare and receive work from local Mental Health trusts.

Should you wish to discuss this further, please call Jason on: 01277 212 797.

Hope this helps.

Hi,

Taking a career break from Aug'11 to do locums for a year. Can people suggest good locum agencies? I prefer to work in London and Essex but dont mind the Midlands and TBH anywhere else if it is difficult to get in those areas.

Thanks in advance for your replies

Hi Guys.

Its my first time locuming and I am having a bit of an issue with a locum company.

Essentially, after I agreed with them on the rate and started the job they are now asking me to sign an Agreement. They tell me that without this agreement they could not pay me. The problem with this agreement is that it states a coupple of things with which I cannot agree e.g.:

1. All previous oral or written understantings are cancelled by this Agreement (therefore all discussions about the rate and the rent become obsolete).

2. I am to keep medical notes following my activity (?what sort of notes, I thought the medical notes are hospital property in secondary care).

3. I am to keep them updated with my home adress without limit of time. I find this very inconvenient. I have better things to remeber in 20 years than updating my adress with them.

4. The contract does not specify important things eg the rate but it does specify that I am supposed to give 3 months written notice in case I want to terminate the contract. I am just wondering, since I am not their employee, why should I give them 3 months notice?

Has anybody run into anything similar before? What did you do?

I would highly appreciate your input.

Hi Alan,

I'm the manager of a recruitment agency for Mental Health locums and this is very strange. We don't make any of our locums sign any kind of agreement, especially one asking you to give them 3 months notice.

Can I ask where you are working and who through to see if I can give you anymore advice? Or you can PM me.

Thanks,

Steve

Steven Anthony

01277 245866

Hi Alan,

I also work in the industry - the only time I have asked a doctor to sign an agreement was when we were renting a flat for them. Basically the agreement said - if the doctor left before the Trust terminated the job, the doctor was liable for the rent for the notice period on the flat. If the Trust terminated early, we would pick up the cost. This only applied for the first 5 months.

3 months notice on an Agency Locum contract is madness, and not something that the Trust would honour from the other side. I would have severe doubts about working with such an agency. I would assume this is not a "framework" agency, as I'm fairly sure there are clauses in the Framework agreement that would make the above unenforceable in any case.

Hi Guys.

Its my first time locuming and I am having a bit of an issue with a locum company.

Essentially, after I agreed with them on the rate and started the job they are now asking me to sign an Agreement. They tell me that without this agreement they could not pay me. The problem with this agreement is that it states a coupple of things with which I cannot agree e.g.:

1. All previous oral or written understantings are cancelled by this Agreement (therefore all discussions about the rate and the rent become obsolete).

2. I am to keep medical notes following my activity (?what sort of notes, I thought the medical notes are hospital property in secondary care).

3. I am to keep them updated with my home adress without limit of time. I find this very inconvenient. I have better things to remeber in 20 years than updating my adress with them.

4. The contract does not specify important things eg the rate but it does specify that I am supposed to give 3 months written notice in case I want to terminate the contract. I am just wondering, since I am not their employee, why should I give them 3 months notice?

Has anybody run into anything similar before? What did you do?

I would highly appreciate your input.

I guess you realise medical notes are confidential and you will be in GMC trouble if you share with a locum agency. Although i dont have experience of locums, as others have said this contract is absolute madness.

Better tear it up and find a better agency.

By the way you can 'Name and shame' the agency here........so others can avoid them.

1 person likes this

My sincere request to Alan

Please name and shame the agency!!!

My sincere request to Alan

Please name and shame the agency!!!

I am waiting to hear from them. I made some ammendments to their contract. If they do not behave, I will name them.

Hello everyone,

I am sorry it took me so long to get back to you. I have an overall impression now and I will share as much as I can. Please refer to the points below.

1. I made more than 20 ammendments to the contract I was offered by the locum agency. It took them a while but they accepted all of them except for one. I suggest that all of you must read the contracts before signing because some clauses WILL turn you into slaves. I am not saying that the abusive clauses will actually be enforced. All I am saying is that they should be in the contract in the first place because they offend one's intelligence.

2. I cannot name this agency because it is one of the biggest in the country if not the biggest (contrary to their opinion I cannot check what the public knowledge on a certain topic is :angry: ). I expect them to be monitoring the internet, especially after I was in contact with their legal department to negotiate the content of the contract. The general impression I have now is that the greed goes ahead of their intelligence.

3. The person to whom I am supposed to be in contact over the phone seems to be overworked and 80% of the time her input is unreliable. Today I called her to say that a friend of mine who is an A&E middle grade of many years experience would be interested in finding out the rates available to him and she gave me something silly like £46/hour. I said to her that this was £24 below what my friend gets as NHS bank doctor. To this she replied that it might be possible to offer him a similar rate but not higher. I then asked her what motivation should my friend have to join under these circumstances. She replied that this was negociable and kept rephrasing and rephrasing essentially saying...NOTHING.

4. They did pay me afterall. I cannot fault them on that except that they did it 5 weeks late because it took them ages to deal with the contract queries that I had produced. The amount was > £10 k.

I find it increasingly frustrating that we, as medical professionals, have Good Medical Practice and countless other documents to comply with whilst these third parties get away with behaving like complete morons and still they are in business.

I am still waiting to hear from a UK government agency what the agency comission rates are. When I do, I will post them here.

I hope you find this post instructive. I am sorry about not being able to name the company. You don't have to look far to find it though.

ahh.. very interesting experience with the agency you have there.. to be honest, i have given up on them now and have had no dealings with them for over 2 years now..

wish you all the best and i might actually suggest that you register with another agency or two as well.. it doesnt hurt to have a few options at hand..

Today I called her to say that a friend of mine who is an A&E middle grade of many years experience would be interested in finding out the rates available to him and she gave me something silly like £46/hour. I said to her that this was £24 below what my friend gets as NHS bank doctor. To this she replied that it might be possible to offer him a similar rate but not higher. I then asked her what motivation should my friend have to join under these circumstances. She replied that this was negociable and kept rephrasing and rephrasing essentially saying...NOTHING.

Hi Alan,

Glad you have managed to get paid now, but I still can't believe the whole ordeal you have had to go through.

My A&E team at Athona would be keen to speak with your colleague if you wanted to pass their details on to me. I can ensure they would get a lot more than £46.00 per hour quoted by the other agency, plus you would receive a referral.

I look forward to hearing back from you.

Thanks,

Steve

01277 245866

Pretty pointless asking about Agency commission rates to be honest. The GPS framework is currently being re-tendered for the next 3-5 years, and in fact the "old" GPS (was Buying Solutions, was PasA) agreement has been extended beyond the end of it's contract length to accommodate the delays.

Most Trusts do not care or collect information about pay rates, their only interest is charge rates.

You can ask under the FOI for details of pay rates charge rates etc under the OLD PaSA/Buying Solutions/GPS framework agreement, but only after it comes to an end. Before this date it is commercially confidential.

I know I tried!

I would like to disagree with Paul on access to agency rates.

The reason is the charge rates for each PASA agent through auctioning including agency commission, doctors hourly pay and other NI, holiday pay etc whilst PASA times was accessible through NHS website. I managed to pull out the whole summary during PASA times. There was no need to go via FOI route.

However in the last few years the framework has been changed to Buying solutions and most recently GPS (I am really not aware of this as was out of locum work for few months). Irrespective of the framework changes, I do not believe it should be a problem asking for charge rates under FOI.

£70 per hour for NHS bank middle grade? Sounds too good to be true.

£70 per hour for NHS bank middle grade? Sounds too good to be true.

May be it was for A & E doctors who are much busier than average middle grade psychiatrist.

It is a fact that there are different charge rates for different specialties at different grades. The differences are due to availability or non-availability of the locum doctors and not on the nature of the work.

It is a fact that there are different charge rates for different specialties at different grades. The differences are due to availability or non-availability of the locum doctors and not on the nature of the work.

It does depend upon the nature of the work. For example, if you do locum for a few days each time, you'll be paid significantly more compared with more long term locum work. e.g. when I was working for £56 per hour, I knew someone who does very short term locum like 1/52 at a time and paid £60+. He said he didn't like long term locum because he was paid much more on short term basis. A & E doctors appeared to be paid more due to their work nature and also because they are usually required for few days at a time rather than many months.

Edited by ryukenden

There are many Locum agencies provide temporary positions to physicians and General Practitioner locum . It is important to make contact with the right agency for your needs.

Thanks !

Which locum agency would people suggest for Consultant LD Psychiatrist locums?

I  cannot suggest here. Sort of advertising and against the rules of house