stridorus

Which locum agency?

40 posts in this topic

Hi, does anyone know how much a psychiatry locum should expect to get paid with my level of experience. Have completed CT3, have membership and am S12 approved, have only worked a a psych reg in NZ since end of CT3.

many thanks for your help,

Hi Serena,

Unfortunately although there are instances when we as agencies can charge (and therefore pay) more for a doctor with more experience, there are Trusts that have "rate for a grade", and so although you may well be top pick for a particular job, the rate would not change in those organisations.

However there are places where we are able to do more in the way of negotiating on a rate, and in those trusts/boards you would be on a better rate.

As a guide, the lowest that you could expect would be £52/hr, the top end would be £60 - £63, although at the very top end you are probably looking at 1 (or all!) of remote location, difficult job, immediate start.

Hi, does anyone know how much a psychiatry locum should expect to get paid with my level of experience. Have completed CT3, have membership and am S12 approved, have only worked a a psych reg in NZ since end of CT3.

many thanks for your help,

Are you back in England or still working in NZ (where in NZ?)

Hi, Thinking of doing some locum work as staff grade. Any good locum agencies. I worked in past for Athorna which was good, but tried them for last couple of days to register but they are not getting back, may be they are not into psychiatry anymore.

Have not worked for any other agency. Can people suggest any good locum agencies please.

Good afternoon,

I would like to share my views as a senior Recruitment Consultant who has been working solely within Mental Health recruitment for nearly 8 years.

I have seen all the changes, the new frameworks, the pay rate changes, the rise and fall or agencies but the one thing I don't see enough of is the honesty and trust. We are both trying to make a living so why can we work together to achieve it.

Long gone are the days where you would sign up with one agency and that would be it. The market is polluted with agencies looking to make a quick buck offering more to one doctor than the other, charging more to one trust than the other. These agencies do not last long and quickly come under fire with financial regulations. Framework agreements were brought in to control this and try to stop over-charging from happening but unfortunately it still happens.

You may think "what does it matter, I am getting more money" but what you have to think is how manageable is that going to be for the hospital? how long will they keep you on that rate?

What doctors and agencies need to find, is the middle ground. There needs to be a better understanding of how it all works, how hospitals are effected, how we make our money and how you make yours. I apologise for the constant lists but consistency, flexibility and honesty will ultimately make my job much easier and build the trust for a better working relationship. The same principles apply when we speak with the hospital.

I am human, I have bills to pay but so do you. I have to make sure that placing any locum doctor is of benefit to all involved. eg the hospital get a good charge rate (normally agreed via the framework agreement) the locum is paid fairly within that rate and the agency (me) is also receiving reasonable commission for work completed.

This is how I run my ship. Honesty.

You might not believe me and may have your own thoughts on me or my agency but it is the one thing I will guarantee. Sometimes I might even be too honest but it is a principle I don't intend to lose during my career in Medical Recruitment. I will tell you if I can get you a job, I will tell you if I cant!

Please feel free to ask me anything in relation to Mental Health Recruitment and I will do my best to answer.

Colin Price

DRC Locums

01908 545926

I think it's sad that hospital locums are forced to work through agencies whereas GP locums are not. It's another sign of NHS wastefulness. 

I am a speciality doctors ,doing NHS locum  post for last 6 months.Now that I have registered with a locum agency, they had offered a job  for General Adult ( community & inpatient) post in Chelmsford , full time post 37.5 hours a week £45/hour (Limited company rate) . Any comments regarding the offer. Please help as I have no idea regarding the agency rates they pay to the staff grades.

On 12/8/2016 at 23:04, Summer sky said:

I am a speciality doctors ,doing NHS locum  post for last 6 months.Now that I have registered with a locum agency, they had offered a job  for General Adult ( community & inpatient) post in Chelmsford , full time post 37.5 hours a week £45/hour (Limited company rate) . Any comments regarding the offer. Please help as I have no idea regarding the agency rates they pay to the staff grades.

Hi there,

Hope you're well.

Out of interest are you registered with Athona?  We are a preferred supplier to North Essex and the East of England region.

One of my team would be more than happy to discuss your post and offer if you wish?

Kind regards,

Steve 

Steven Anthony, Operations Director - Athona 01277 217777

Any update on current agencies with good psychiatry jobs?

On 10/4/2017 at 23:00, Zoran said:

Any update on current agencies with good psychiatry jobs?

Hi Zoran,

Hope you're well. The team have a number of vacancies at the moment, feel free to give them a call on 01277 217777

Thanks,

Steve

01277 245866

Hi Steve, I'm great, how are you?

I've tried Athona three times in the last five years, most recently a month ago, and the bureaucracy I came across is only surpassed by MEDACS and HOLT. In fact, even these two have a bit more of a personalized approach nowadays.

19 hours ago, Zoran said:

Hi Steve, I'm great, how are you?

I've tried Athona three times in the last five years, most recently a month ago, and the bureaucracy I came across is only surpassed by MEDACS and HOLT. In fact, even these two have a bit more of a personalized approach nowadays.

I'm good thanks.  First of all apologies - i feel quite embarrassed that you feel you we don't offer a personalized approach as this is something I've always pushed for. Are you around for a chat to see if there is anyway I can improve things here, and help you?

Thanks

Steve

Ok you have quite a few options.. firstly ask yourself are you set on getting posts outside of IR35, thereby allowing yourself to work as a limited company and pay much less tax. If this is what you want (it’s probably your most lucrative option) then go for a private company.

If you want to work NHS, bear in mind that in England locum rates are capped.  So I think as a consultant you can’t earn more than £75 per hour unless they’re absolutely desperate and make an exception. So if you want uncapped rates it’s either private, Scotland or Wales.

Then coming onto the agency.  A Trust will have a preferred agency that they go to first.  Ring their recruitment department to find out who this is.  This will be the easiest way to get a locum job.  However, once the trust struggles to fill the locum post they’ll go to their second, third, fourt etc. Choice of locum agency.. and they’ll likely be able to pay you more than the primary locum agency.

Hope that makes sense.