Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest PJ

How much to study?

6 posts in this topic

I'm planning on taking the part 1 in autumn this year. I'd be interested to hear how many weeks/months is considered adequate preparation time. Note that the World Cup takes place this year as well, not that it will distract me from my studies ;)

From what I've heard from a number of people with different study styles (ie hours a day, days in a week), I have come up with a sum of 180-240 hours in total for the MCQs. If you spend 10-12 hours a day cramming you should make it in less than three weeks. Or maybe not ;)

Z

Do lots of MCQ's and little else. I reckon no more than 3 months at a couple of hours a day and then a good solid week or so of 4-5 hours before the exam. Take days off from revision too!

:)

It varies depending on how you study. I needed to do a bit regularly for 3 months cause I can't cram.

Psychology is really important to understand. Make sure you have a study free time when you don't feel guilty that you are not studying. Some people love study groups, I find them intimidating.

There is no right or wrong except that you already know what style of study suits you and has got you through O and A levels and Medical school. Don't change it cause someone else works in a different way. Thats the way that suits them.

Above all some of the best psychiatrists I know took several attempts at their membership (and the way my part 2 revision is going, I will have to list myself amongst them!!!!)

All in all it's a bit like a creme egg, everyone eats theirs differently!