Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Elvis

Good Reasons to stay motivated for the exam

9 posts in this topic

I got up at 4 am to go through MCQs. Is that good or bad?

The thought that got me out of bed (call it motivation) was job allocations in May - passing Part I should give me a better choice.

Long term motivation: I want a career in psychiatry (SpR, Consultant, etc) with all the trimmings; I like reading some psychiatry (but that really hinders reading for for Part I MCQs); studying is part of the job, what we get paid for (with all that day release, study leave, 'personal study time'); competition; self-actualization, ...

It's tempting to sit here and try to think of more instead of doing some real work, but I'm going back to my MCQs.

I`m sure that answers your question Elvis. Now u can really apply yourself to revision in the knowledge that u can ensure a better future for yourself, and the world in general.

Until next time, take care of yourselves, and eachother ;)

Hos thanks. It is all clear to me now. However, with regards the above reasons to stay motivated for part one -

1. I do not get 'paid to study' - i get a crappy day-release course which is badly organised, poor content and which i would gladly give up to see patients instead. I get no 'study leave' and certainly no 'personal study time'.

2. I am not blessed with a tutor who could be called anything like 'supportive' so dont owe him anything

and he is certainly no motivating factor for doing the exam

3. Re career. Part one will not 'advance my career' - i have always wanted a happy marriage, lots of kids and a staff grade job and could apply for that and my section 12 approval tomorrow. So career is not a motivator for me.

4. 'Competition' is not an argument - I dont feel the need to compete against my colleagues and havent done since med school

The only argument that holds any water for me is self-actualisation and personal growth. I am doing the exam for my own end - i enjoy learning and we are blessed with such a fascinating subject after all. To pass the exam for me would mean achieving a personal goal no more no less.

But hey hos. if it makes the world a better place like you say then i sure will give it a good bash. Dont go changing

Elvis ;)

I can't think of many reasons right now. I'm tired, on call and fed up with either revising, feeling guilty about not revising and fidgeting around doing 2.5 minutes of each subject before staring into space.

Oh well, all over soon. Glastonbury in June.

1. Gotta keep trudgeing up that career ladder.

2. The future; Security, mortgage, kids etc.

3. It's something to do between beers.

4. Psychiatry is the most endlessly fascinating thing that ever happened to my life.

5. You are, actually still a doctor, so all the usual benfits apply, without many of the burdens.

6. The humiliation of past failures.

Money :P

Freedom to work as you please :-X

c ;)onferences

to become an SpR,working two days a week ,a day for research ,a day for special interest and none of the drivel we have to deal with as an sho

Oh; and you don't have to do it again if

you pass!