Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
makara

people taking paper 2

13 posts in this topic

May I ask the people who have passed to suggest the best study material apart from spmm and bir please

1 person likes this

Companion to Psychiatric studies 8th edition and oxford shorter text book of psychiatry. + previous exam questions on superego cafe website. That's how I passed. A lot of the previous questions here are repeat and I mean a lot. If the question seems incomplete read as much as you can around the topic. Best of luck

well i would suggest spmm notes , go through them cover to cover, spmm high yield questions, Birmingham past papers/questions on superego cafe website.go through them as many times as possible.Albert Michael 1001 emqs and selected topics from Oxford hand book psychiatry.try to do mock exams few weeks before the exam

well i would suggest spmm notes , go through them cover to cover, spmm high yield questions, Birmingham past papers/questions on superego cafe website.go through them as many times as possible.Albert Michael 1001 emqs and selected topics from Oxford hand book psychiatry.try to do mock exams few weeks before the exam

Xentric,

Thanks I read the materials you have studied.What about B'gham notes?.What chapters from Oxford handbook of psychiatry?

Sulagna

hi sulagna

i have not read birmingham notes for any of the parts at all.you need to read the following topics from oxford handbook

4pages of history of psychiatry

culture bound syndromes

the table regarding antidepressant switch over

rest is adequately covered in spmm notes

you can go through the quick reference tables in maudsley guidelines about scenarios like antipsychotic in liver failure, pregnancy, renal failure and so on.This would make it easier to answer the questions related to clinical phrama

All this reading up is for covering 10% of the paper when one has to guess, rest is covered by doing the past papers and high yield as it is repeated quite regularly in the exams

mansoor

1 person likes this

hi sulagna

i have not read birmingham notes for any of the parts at all.you need to read the following topics from oxford handbook

4pages of history of psychiatry

culture bound syndromes

the table regarding antidepressant switch over

rest is adequately covered in spmm notes

you can go through the quick reference tables in maudsley guidelines about sc

enarios like antipsychotic in liver failure, pregnancy, renal failure and so on.This would make it easier to answer the questions related to clinical phrama

All this reading up is for covering 10% of the paper when one has to guess, rest is covered by doing the past papers and high yield as it is repeated quite regularly in the exams

mansoor

It seems you are a great fan of SPMM.Of course I don't deny the fact that the notes are worth reading,but I only hope they cover all the divisions of Neurosciences and Genetics.Sulagna

well true. on the face of it the spmm notes are very boring and monotonous but its worth reading as it covers most of the topics.Birmingham notes are like a novel,very interesting but not as comprhensive as spmm. but birmingham past papers and mock exams are a must.neurosciences is very well covered but i agree, genetics is very thin and even in the paper most of it is guess work,so one has to know the stuff about genetics thats in the notes , in case a question comes thats from there.other wise it is a difficult section

mansoor

well true. on the face of it the spmm notes are very boring and monotonous but its worth reading as it covers most of the topics.Birmingham notes are like a novel,very interesting but not as comprhensive as spmm. but birmingham past papers and mock exams are a must.neurosciences is very well covered but i agree, genetics is very thin and even in the paper most of it is guess work,so one has to know the stuff about genetics thats in the notes , in case a question comes thats from there.other wise it is a difficult section

mansoor

Thanks a lot Mansoor...your feedback has been very informative and pls keep doing the same..I am taking paper 2 In April but not sure about paper3?bit confused:(.

No problem

well if you do need any info bout paper 3 feel free to contact.

mansoor

has anyone used mrcpsychmentor website? is it any good?

Many thanks

I personally think the mrcpsych mentor website is great - its cheap and the notes are succinct and relevant to the exam.

has anyone used mrcpsychmentor website? is it any good?

Many thanks

Its an excellen website. I would definately go for Psychmentor, although I didnt use it for paper 2, I am for paper 3.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0