Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest docashim

SIMS EXPERT NEEDED!!!!

8 posts in this topic

Hi there, I passed my MRCPsych some years ago. There is one sentance which i remember reading in Sims' book (Symptoms in the mind) which I cant locate now.

It goes something like 'See Naples and Die'

I am sure all of you have read Sims in great detail, so can somebody direct me to the chapter (and page number in the 2nd edn. if possible!) that it is in?

My wife and I are going to Italy, I am having a job convincing my wife to visit Naples, so any assistance is greatly appreciated!

I don't know much about Sims but can tell you about the phrase you have mentioned.

'Vedi Napoli e poi Muori'

'See Naples and die.'

It was a phrase coined during the reign of the Bourbons of Naples, considered by historians to have been the city's Golden Age. Until its annexation to the Kingdom of Italy in 1861, the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies was the wealthiest and most industrialized of the various Italian states. Naples was the third most populous city of Europe (after London and Paris), and certainly one of the most opulent. Even today, a visit to Naples would not be complete without seeing the royal palaces in and near the city.

It means that before you die you must experience the beauty and magnificence of Naples.

Some say that it was Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe of Faust fame who coined the phrase. In 1786-88 he made a journey to Italy, which inspired his play IPHIGENIE AUF TAURIS, and RÖMISHE ELEGIEN, sensuous poems relating partly to Christiane Vulpius, who became Goethe's mistress in 1789.

The phrase can be found in Italian Journey {1786-1788} (Penguin Classics)

Vedi Napoli e po' mori (See Naples and die) is an old Italian saying that implies 'nothing more beautiful remains to be seen on earth.' Those who have visited Naples report the city's reputation for beauty is deserved, but word lovers will note there's a bit of a pun involved in the phrase. Naples was once a center of cholera and typhoid, where visitors did indeed see Naples and die.

just a quick note of caution really;

if i tried to sell a trip to Naples to my missus with the line 'see Naples and die', i don't think she would buy it.

good luck with it nonetheless

How will all these earn me a pass in the MRCPSYCH PART 2. SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME. I thought it was see PARIS and die

Chicks dont dig that kind of stuff when it comes to holidays. Tell her about the fabulous hotel, gorgeous tightly buttocked young waiters, oodles of designer shopping, fine foods, fine wines etc etc. By all means THEN use your fancy (but not v sexy) line. If she still doesnt want to go, I have some annual leave to take so please get in touch through Webmaster!

Elvis 8)

Thanks Imran for the very Erudite bit of prose!! Thanks everybody else for the suggestions, I am still keen to see Naples, I will keep searching in Sims for the line (atleast it will improve my knowledge of psychopathology!

Bets thing is to tell your wife that Capri is a short boat ride from Naples. As are Ravello and Positano. Gorgeous places, great shopping and food and almost every man is an adonis.

What more could a girl want?

hi ashim,hope you do convince dhu to visit Naples,i tried and failed with my missus!! :(

have fun!