Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gurpal

Microsoft reveals Windows 8 tablet

29 posts in this topic

Microsoft have revealed details of their own tablet running Windows 8. Opening the cover reveals a keyboard. Engadget has all the details and more photos from the launch event. Spec sheet on Microsoft website as a PDF.

microsoftsurfacewindowsrtlead01.jpg

[media=]

ahh you beat me to it WM !!!

the keyboard cover is a paid accessory ofcourse.. but will be very handy with its dual funcitonality.

from what Engadget reports, the RT edition will have Win 8 AND Office installed...

now for that kind of software goodness and the type-enabled cover and the stand i wonder what Microsoft are going to charge for it..

also noticed in the screenshots, that there are Macbook type magnetic charging pins on the side.. interesting !

Edited by SagirParkar

much better info on the Beeb.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-18500954

apparently the stand is built in.. and the casing is made of magnesium ! and if that wasnt enough, it appears that the Surface will also be able to use a digital pen accessory, which when placed on the surface of the Surface, makes the tablet 'ignore' any hand or finger touch gestures on the screen.. brilliant..

seems to be that MS have taken some ideas from their Courier concept into this device.. ohh, how i wish they had actually made the Courier... it was a brilliant device !

It is going to be out when Windows 8 is out! by which time it is going to be out dated by other tablets.

Microsoft hasn't had a clear strategy about tablets and this does not seem to be one. The specs are very good for the current market but in a 9 months time it will be almost obsolete

but isnt that true for most tablets anyway ? or tech in general ?

but isnt that true for most tablets anyway ? or tech in general ?

Yep you are correct but Microsoft tried its own computer hardware in the past and it fell short of advances in the market. You can look at Galaxy Tab, phones etc and Apple product which are forward thinking rather than stuck in the past.

NObody in this market advertises for a tablet or a computer that is going to be out next year. It certainly will be beaten by the Chinese factories!

NObody in this market advertises for a tablet or a computer that is going to be out next year. It certainly will be beaten by the Chinese factories!

That might be what Microsoft want. Show everyone producing Windows 8 hardware what they expect from a tablet and then expect everyone to up their game. The Surface has generated a lot of positive discussion all over the net, even on Apple friendly sites like macrumours.

i will agree with the WM on this point... even if MS have announced their hardware and though the release is many months ahead, it probably wants to give others the time to up their game.. besides, MS's main source of income might still be licensing the software to other OEMs.. it might continue to retain hold of tablets running the Win 8 Pro version.. the other guys can make tablets for Win RT.

I agree with Win 8 being the future of tablet computing. Since trying it on my computer was a little awkward and seemed kinda produced for slates rather than computers. My argument was about the Surface and I standby by that. The history shows some aspects that MS came to such as windows phone did not become as successful as other competitors' products.

Win Phone customers are screwed, MS will not upgrade WPhone 7 to 8.

i dont think u have anything to worry about flak.. u are using Android, arent u?

i know the WM has a Win 7 phone.. but then, he can spare the change to get a shiny new Win 8 when it gets released ;)

I'm eligible for an upgrade but I think I'll wait for the new Windows 8 phones to come out in the autumn, so that I can carry on using the best operating system. No lemming here! ;)

Sony has announced some new tablets, including a Windows 8 tablet. This autumn is going to be crazy for gadget fans!

sony-vaioduo11-370x229.jpg?1346255368

Samsung too

samsung-ativ-smart-pc-pro-laptop-hybrid-370x229.jpg?1346262138

Ativ S looks like my next phone if nokia doesn't come up with the goods.

samsung-windows-phone-8-ativ-smartphone-slanted-angle-370x229.jpg?1346261696

looks like Christmas and Diwali coming early for you this year WM ;)

Just need to accidentally drop my laptop. ;)

Just need to accidentally drop my laptop. ;)

i can do that for free for you ! ;)

Upgraded my mobile to the Nokia Lumia 920 and loving it. Nice upgrade to a more powerful phone and Windows Phone 8. I didn't have any speed issues with my Omnia 7 but this new phone is significantly faster at launching apps. Call quality is a lot better too. Live tiles are adjustable to one of three sizes, so now I can get everything I use regularly laid out on one screen. Some cool built-in apps - Nokia City Lens is incredible. Battery life is more than a day with wifi on. Didn't go for a 4G contract but got an all you can eat data tariff with T Mobile which suits me just fine.

http://youtu.be/V8_Z7_kJ3_g

nokia hardware is always quality stuff.. now if only MS can come up with a good software catalog, i can actually see Win 8 gaining more market share..

Btw, which colour did you get ? i can almost visualise you carrying a canary yellow coloured smartphone ;)

Edited by SagirParkar

played around with an Acer made Win 8 tablet in Tescos.. this was running with an i5 processor and a full x86 version of windows 8..

was really impressed with both hardware and software...

now only if they were a bit cheaper and had a better app selection (which i am sure will happen in due course) it would be a very viable option..

it has a full sized USB 3.0 port and plays files from an external drive... interface is slick and speedy.. loved the look of it.. and can do full PC style stuff on it !

and that includes having vlc player and uTorrent too !!!

just waiting for a few more models to be introduced with win 8 and also MS to announce the cost of MS Office for x86 tablets. definitely the way forward for tablet computing.. and i mean 'computing' with productivity and utility... not just net browsing and facebooking..

I'd love to get my hands on one of them tablets too.

Though i love the galaxy note 10.1, the only thing it lacks is USB ports. Maybe future models will but till then , guess ill have to make do.

i am a bit sad that 3rd party devs are not making stuff that incorporate stylus use.. but hopefully that will change as the Note phone and Note tablets' penetration in the market increases..

but i am seriously impressed by Win 8 tablets.. i hope it hits a sweet price point in the near future...

I like the Sony Vaio Duo 11 but it's expensive.

Hopefully some new Windows 8 gadgets at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in January.

yeah./. waiting eagerly for the CES show... :)

the Acer one that i saw is defnitely cheaper than this sony one... the Acer cost 600 odd and this included a stand, a cover and a keyboard..

Edited by SagirParkar