sands73

Wimbledon 2012

42 posts in this topic

So Wimbledon started today. Men's tennis has become quite predicable these days, and it would be foolish to bet against the grand slam greedy trio of Djokovic, Nadal and Federer- especially the former 2 who are at the peak of their powers. I am afraid, for Murray it will be the same story again- there isn't as much Murray mania in the media at the moment and I think that should help him a bit. I wish some of the second tier players like Tsonga, Del Potro etc give more of a fight and cause an upset or two by challenging the stranglehold of the mighty 3. On the women's side, Sharapova is in dominant form and should be the hot favourite, but Kvitova and Serena should fancy their chances as well

Sharapova looks really good for the women's.

I'm tipping Novak for the men's.

unless there is a big upset, let us talk when we get to the quarterfinal (or even semis) stage :)

What a shock result! Nadal dumped out in the 2nd round by Lucas Rosol! I have heard experts in the past say that the way to beat Nadal is to just go all out for winners and hope you can make most of them- no point trying to play a rally and beat him, you just won't, and that's exactly what Rosol did today- never allowed Rafa to settle in to a rhythm and dictate rallies

That guy Rosol showed real nerves of steel tonight....his hitting of the ball was remarkable. I think Nadal was out-played tonight and not necessarily that he didnt play well.

Looking dicey for Federer. ...has to claw his way back from 2 sets down against a fired up Bennetau.

Roger survives.......the legend lives on.

Well, Benneteau needed to finish that one in the 4th- he stood no chance in the 5th. But Djokovic seems the top dog at the moment- it will take a Rosol like performance to stop him

things arent right in the world when Nadal crashes out so early, Federer has a major scare, Italy beat Germany in football and England continue to win in cricket..

And now Serena is about to be dumped out.

serena needs to get a slightly longer outfit for the matches.. what she has worn today could be appropriate for her bedroom.. on court though, it is a different matter.. i might be considered old fashioned though, but there is a difference between fashionable and erotic sports wear !

serena needs to get a slightly longer outfit for the matches.. what she has worn today could be appropriate for her bedroom.. on court though, it is a different matter.. i might be considered old fashioned though, but there is a difference between fashionable and erotic sports wear !

C'mon man ......your eyes are too erotically perceptive. lol Her outfit was cool this time, it has been more outrageous in the past.

What would you say of women atlethic wear or swim wear then.

yes, her previous outfits, esp in the French Open and US Open in previous years have been outrageous..

this time round, it was conservative in design, but the hem was too short and free flowing.. like i said, it was perhaps appropriate in her bedroom, but not on a tennis court for sure.. not that i am complaining..

swim wear, i have no issues with, it is part of the sport that they have to wear something like that.. love the beach volleyball outfits :)

but in indoor volleyball, they have progressively become smaller, and some teams have now started having ads on the back of their shorts.. if they are still called shorts..

moot issue really.. i just think that when other women can dress more conservatively without affecting their game, i wonder why Serena cant.. Venus definitely looks more classier in her outfits and yet retains that modicum of decency..

Sharapova and Cjisters also dumped out of Wimbledon now. Federer struggles again, with a back problem but makes it to a record 33 straight quarter finals in grand slams. Djokovic playing superbly- it will take a speacial performance to stop him

yeah.. the title is Novak's for the taking unless something dreadful happens.. in which case Murray has a chance too.

Serena really looking good in d women draw now. ..having nearly been dumped out in d 3rd round.

Yes its all 4 Novak now.....except if Federer can roll back d yrs.

Reckon this is a great chance for Murray to fiannly win a grand slam...more so on the grass of Wimbledon.

Potentially he only has to face 1 or the top 3 to win ......rather the insurmountable 2/3 in the past. The God's have been kind to him this time, now it's left for him to rise to the occasion.

Assuming he goes past Tsonga.....he will have a rejuvinated Federer waiting for him (i think Murray will fancy his chances with Fed) or the more daunting prospect of the world no 1 and superhuman Novak.

Tsonga can be unpredictable- he can be brilliant and thrash Murray in straight sets or can be equally pathetic and lose in straight sets. You will never know which Tsonga will turn up. The other semi, one has to favour Djokovic as he his simply the best player at the moment. I agree Murray would rather play Federer in the finals than Djokovic

err Kreely.. i dont see The Fed getting past Novak in their semifinal tie.. Novak is in the prime of his form at the moment... and as you say, he is part super-human

Also as you say this is Murray's best chance so far to win at Wimbledon... on the radio this morning they were talking as if his match with Tsonga is the final and Murray has already half lifted the trophy.. i dont think they realised that there was the teensy weensy matter of going past Federer/Novak in the real final match of the tournament..

but nonetheless, i wish the guy luck, he has played better this tournament than his previous attempts. .and as usual, he gets to the semis.. this will hopefully be his first final and then it is upto him to prove a point or two..

Edited by SagirParkar

Serena in the Final.....and will take some stopping.

Didnt see the match but followed the text commentary and looking forward to the highlights tonight. Heard it was alesson in how to serve...24 aces to 1. I didnt believe she was playing well in the championship but demolishing Azarenka that way does sends out a clear message ....she's still the top babe in the women's draw, irrespective of the WTA rankings.

Just hope she doesnt freeze in the final as she did at last year's US open.....but with a serve like that she's unstoppable.

yep.. she is a cinch to win now... she does pack a lot of power in her shots...

Serena, the obvious favourite to win, but I must say Radwanska has looked good all through the tournament and does have a chance. Serena was quite scartchy earlier on, but has picked up momentum now, and she does know a thing or two about winning matches that matter most.

Lots of rain predicted for tomorrow, which may mean that the semis will be played under the roof making it an indoor court. Federer would like that and I don't think there has ever been a better player than him indoors. But then, the way Djokovic has played over the last year and a half, one wonders if surfaces and conditions are in any way relevant.

Well well well, did anyone see that coming? Beating Djokovic comfortably.

Told you guys King Fed lives on.

As well as Federer played today, I thought Djokovic was somehow very subdued- he didn't seem half the player he has been for the last year and a half. I never thought I would call a Federer win as an upset, but this one comes close to being called as one. So Murray in the final as well beating Tsonga who was brilliant in patches, but way too sloppy many a time, which won't be good enough against a consistent player like Murray. My pick for the finals- Federer in 4 sets. I think the pressure will tell on Murray to clinch his first grand slam. Federer under no such pressure, though he does have a point to prove that he is still good enough to win grand slams. Whoever wins, I think they deserve it- Federer for beating top dog Djokovic and Murray for coming through a tough draw- beating Baghdatis, Ferrer and Tsonga- all quality players.

In a way. I think both Nadal and Federer have sent a strong message to Djokovic by beating him at the French Open and Wimbledon respectively. It is as if they are saying 'Ok mate- you had a great year, but now keep off our territories'. How Djokovic now responds will define how great a player he will end up at the end of his career.