sands73

Wimbledon 2012

42 posts in this topic

This I think is Murray's best chance of winning a slam....finally in d final of wimbledon against a Federer who's lost some speed & aura.

The gods have smiled on him this time by removing Nadal & Novak who he definitely had no chance of beating.

I want Roger to win but for once won't begrudge Andy.

So Serena reigns supreme. A bit of a wobble in the second set and early on in the 3rd, but recovered strongly to finish in style. Good show from Radwanska- didn't go down tamely, but in the end Serena was too good.

That was some unbeliveable tennis from King Federer. Murray started off well, winning the 1st set and being the better player for most of the second. But when Federer got an opportunity late in the 2nd set, he took it, and from there never looked back. It was vintage stuff from him, rolling back the years when he was so dominant. It was not as if Murray played badly- he played as well as he could have, but Federer seemed a man on a mission to prove a point that he is still good enough to win grand slam titles. Murray's emotions at the presentation ceremony were understandable- he tried his best, but perhaps the only way he can win a grand slam is if someone else takes care of the other three, but that may never happen.

Well well well, did anyone see that coming? Beating Djokovic comfortably.

Told you guys King Fed lives on.

ahh man... and just for that, you are great too ! i will admit i did not believe Federer could beat Novak this year, particularly in the aftermath of the scares he faced in the earlier part of the tournament..

and with that he has also won the title.. Murray left high and dry again, despite winning the first set.. perhaps the issue is with the mindset and the public pressure rather than skills alone..

Hats off to Murray (didnt think i'd say that), cant say he didnt try his best this time unlike his previous slam finals. I really felt for him today. I think he played really well but was unlucky playing against a resurgent Roger today. His tears at the end reminded me of the Aussi open in 2009 when Nadal reduced Fed to tears......but Murray has a long way to prove he's a champion and bounce back like Fed. I think he just needs a lucky break to play against a non top 3 in the final ,,,just like Djokovic had for his 1st title.

So remarkably Federer is back as No 1 in the world at 30. That's really more amazing knowing the likes of Nadal and Novak are around. And now increased his Slam count to 17.

Hats off to Murray (didnt think i'd say that), cant say he didnt try his best this time unlike his previous slam finals. I really felt for him today. I think he played really well but was unlucky playing against a resurgent Roger today. His tears at the end reminded me of the Aussi open in 2009 when Nadal reduced Fed to tears......but Murray has a long way to prove he's a champion and bounce back like Fed. I think he just needs a lucky break to play against a non top 3 in the final ,,,just like Djokovic had for his 1st title.

So remarkably Federer is back as No 1 in the world at 30. That's really more amazing knowing the likes of Nadal and Novak are around. And now increased his Slam count to 17.

Yes, Murray tried his best but Federer was at his best yesterday. Federer is said to play even better under the roof and rain didn't help Murray who has to bounce back. But he has a good coach, Ivan Lendl and hopefully he can bounce back.

Surprisingly there's no thread for this year's US Open, but anyway...

another Murray chance to break the final jinx and finally win a grand slam. The omen looks good for him this time....good run of form, won the olympic gold, avoided having to play 2 of the top 3 in a grand slam and facing a 'not on top form' Novak.

If he doesnt win tomorrow then unfortunately he wil have the unenviable record of 5 slam defeats without a title.

i was thinking the same.. good match between Murray and Berdych but Novak will be a different beast entirely... Murray generally looks good in a 3-set final but something goes wrong when it comes to a 5-setter...

sure after Wimbledon this is Murray's best chance to date of winning a Slam final.. i am just bracing myself for the reports in the media..

watched Serena beat Azarenka too.. was a worthy final i guess although leading 5-4 in the final set i think Azarenka was mentally and physically beaten by Serena's serves and court play.. she toyed with Azarenka in that game and the rest came easy to her.. worthy champion i'd say.. and this time round her outfit was better too ! ;)

btw, she reminds me as the Chris Gayle of women's tennis.. *shudders*

Edited by SagirParkar

Djokovic was very strong yesterday when he beat Ferrer. But Murray has rested one more day compared with Djokovic. Previous records show 8 - 6 wins in Djokovic's favour.

Azarenka is beautiful and like her to win the US open but she was not able to hold her serve when she was leading 5-4 in the final set. Also US crowd behind a US lady may have some influence on her mind.

Well, when Serena plays, it does not matter who is no 1 according to rankings. She is the real no 1. Truly a worthy champion. She is up there as one of the all time greats of women's tennis with the likes of Martina Navratilova and Steffi Graf. Good fight from Azarenka- she showed guts after the pounding she received in the 1st set, but in the end it was too much.

With regard to men's, I am afraid, we might see Murray losing his 5th grand slam final. Djokovic may not be playing to the standards he did last year, but he is still playing extremely well. He has looked very good in this tournament and the way he played against a quality player like David Ferrer in the semis would make him favourite. Murray has also been good, and has improved by leaps and bounds this year under Ivan Lendl. He is much more aggressive than he used to be and goes for some winners, unlike in the past, when he used to wait for his opponents to make mistakes. However, I feel that Berdych played very poorly in the semis, especially in the 2nd and 3rd set, where he made too many unforced errors, and Murray did not have to do anything special. Murray, however played a good tie break in the 4th set. Murray won't get any easy points against Djokovic, and I don't think the extra day's rest matters. We saw Djokovic in the Australian open winning a 5 hour semis against Murray and then winning a 6 hour final against Nadal- so he is one of the fittest players around.

Well, when Serena plays, it does not matter who is no 1 according to rankings. She is the real no 1. Truly a worthy champion. She is up there as one of the all time greats of women's tennis with the likes of Martina Navratilova and Steffi Graf. Good fight from Azarenka- she showed guts after the pounding she received in the 1st set, but in the end it was too much.

With regard to men's, I am afraid, we might see Murray losing his 5th grand slam final. Djokovic may not be playing to the standards he did last year, but he is still playing extremely well. He has looked very good in this tournament and the way he played against a quality player like David Ferrer in the semis would make him favourite. Murray has also been good, and has improved by leaps and bounds this year under Ivan Lendl. He is much more aggressive than he used to be and goes for some winners, unlike in the past, when he used to wait for his opponents to make mistakes. However, I feel that Berdych played very poorly in the semis, especially in the 2nd and 3rd set, where he made too many unforced errors, and Murray did not have to do anything special. Murray, however played a good tie break in the 4th set. Murray won't get any easy points against Djokovic, and I don't think the extra day's rest matters. We saw Djokovic in the Australian open winning a 5 hour semis against Murray and then winning a 6 hour final against Nadal- so he is one of the fittest players around.

Murray was in a way a bit lucky due to the weather conditions and Berdych was struggling with it.

But on the other hand, he was a bit not very fortunate because the match between Ferrer vs Djokovic didn't finish on Saturday due to bad weather. Djokovic was obviously struggling with the winds and if the match were to finish on that day, Ferrer may come out the winner and Murray might have much easier match in the final vs Ferrer. Murray might need strong winds to win the US open.

Well Murray still in with a shout. ...but getting a bit bleak.

Not a great match so far...2 highly defensive players with very few winners. There hasn't been d quality associated with slam finals..

I'm off 2 sleep now..not a fan of Murray to stay up & not sleep but expecting to wake uo tomorrow to hear he's lost again.

Murray finally has won a grand slam. The windy condition has helped him as well as his new coach, Ivan Lendl. Murry coped better with a bit of wind while Djokovic obviously struggled making many unforced errors. Commentator said Djokovic made about 20 unforced error per whole match but he made the same amount of unforced errors just in first set yesterday. Not like the match against Ferrer, he couldn't escape from the bad weather.

Any way, congrats to Murray and he deserved it.

Yes, well done Andy Murray. He certainly deserved a grand slam. I watched the match for a set and a half, and I have to agree with kreely that it was very defensive, with both players content to put the ball back in to play and hope the other commits an error. Don't know how the rest of the match was- so can't really comment. This may give confidence to Murray to try and win some more- he has lived in the shadows in Federer, Nadal and Djokovic for far too long. With Federer slowly aging and Nadal having long term injury worries it is good time for Murray to capitalise before other youngsters start catching up

Watched the whole match and it lasted over 5 hours. I would have thought if under normal conditions without rough winds, Djokovic will win. But this time, Murray got a little luck he needed as Alex Ferguson said prior to the match. At the Wimbledon final this year, the cover was closed due to bad weather and it favoured Federer a lot and you can say Murray was a bit unlucky at the Wimbledon final. According to stats, Federer has never lost a single match under cover. Some players like Federer, Djokovic would prefer such environments without outside influences because they go for precision most of the times.

It would be unfair for Murray not to win US open this year after losing previous 4 grand slam finals.

i watched the match from the end of 2nd set onwards when Murray had two set points.. prior to that i was in wet soggy Old Trafford hoping that we;d get a match.. poor weather put paid to those hopes though..

and then despite being tired i watched the remainder of the match and i enjoyed it.. there was a tad defensive approach but in the 3rd and 4th sets, Djokers went hell for it and there were some really fantastic rallies ! drop shots, winners, smashes really made for good viewing.. Murray has really upped his game since Lendl got on board and it shows in his mental toughness. About a year or so ago, Murray would have lost despite having a 2-0 lead.

anyways, back to work now.. but it was a really good match ! and congrats to Murray for being a deserving winner..

my other half and son were there, said they were amazing the crowd they were pulling in all day were in awe.... corr easier to go to work with a day like that Well done, look forward to the outcome on tv today.