ianb78

Are Psychiatrists Boring?

37 posts in this topic

perhaps it is just a reflection on those people rather than the profession..

It pains me to say this but I'll bring it up anyway

I've been working in Psychiatry for many years now and have come across very few fellow psychiatrists that are interesting as people. Most tend to be very boring, humourless people with little to say that isn't work related. Indeed whenever I attempt to talk about non work related themes it becomes apparent that they have nothing to say and have little in the way of charisma.

When selecting psychiatry as a specialty I assumed that because of its more relaxed nature the people would be easy going and warm. What i discovered was cold, humourless people with no life outside of their jobs.

I believe that a good psychiatrist should be well rounded and personable and that patients respond better to these people

What do other people think? Maybe it's just me!

Nah.....at least, not when compared to other specialties!!

Don't take it personally pal. Like I said, maybe it's me but one thing I've noticed is how a lot of psychiatrists only talk about work related topics. To me this makes for a dull person.

This is only my opinion

well you need to hang out with my friends then.. we very rarely talk about work, unless it is to express frustrations :)

other than that it is always about things that excite us - gadgets, games, gossip, girls, movies, sport, photography, outdoorsy stuff etc etc depending on whom i am talking to..

@ Sagir: Dude, you forgot to mention FOOD - the most important thing! ;)

1 person likes this

Don't take it personally pal. Like I said, maybe it's me but one thing I've noticed is how a lot of psychiatrists only talk about work related topics. To me this makes for a dull person.

This is only my opinion

well you need to hang out with my friends then.. we very rarely talk about work, unless it is to express frustrations :)

other than that it is always about things that excite us - gadgets, games, gossip, girls, movies, sport, photography, outdoorsy stuff etc etc depending on whom i am talking to..

@ Sagir: Dude, you forgot to mention FOOD - the most important thing! ;)

ou would have bet he wouldnt miss that!!! :mellow:

I don't think it is just psychiatrists- it is all of the medical profession. I have friends across most specialities and yes I agree that most doctors talk only about work, work and more work.

doctors in uk talk "NHS"

Depends in what context I suppose. I certainly woud seem boring to the demographic and many in my local area. But then again i dont drink as much as they do.

So career obsessed - no wonder people are boring.

I think it is a doctor's problem. Overall. Not just psychiatrist, every doctor out there. When we meet up all we talk about is work related topics, maybe because we don't really have time for anything else?

Haha, I dunno, I think psychiatrist are boring.
Doctor's are boring too.

Some interesting psychiatrists. A LOT of interesting doctors.

But at the end of the day, nobody reading this will think they're boring.

When hehe, the sad sad truth might be that you're the boring psychiatrist this thread is referring to.

This is an interesting thread ...

This is a very strange question. There are boring psychiatrists and some are not. There are boring footballers and interesting ones. There are boring politicians and interesting ones too, and the list goes on.. Could it be that you are boring???