Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest satya

can i do it??

31 posts in this topic

::)the written exams,i have tried and tried,how does one crack it? is there a strategy to it or is it pure hard work?

I don't know about strategy it seems to vary from person to person. It is partly hard work, partly luck and partly confidence.

Step 1 read how to pass MRCPsych and go on the course.

Step 2 go over old questions

Step 3 read the journals -at least the editorials

step 4 use the college syllabus to guide your revision.

I think Bird and Harrison is a brilliant little book.

Also for Part II, Companion is very useful.

be VERY good on psychology and sociology.

For part II the critical appraisal course in Bristol, the BAP course and the BBR course are excellent

I use mind maps and also employ my very compliant husband to test me! If you can summarise something and explain it to an (intelligent !)non-medic, then you understand it!

hope this is helpful!

???

Have just got part 1 - yeah!

Have just looked at stuff for part 2 - this could kill me?

Don't know how to get all this info into my little head, and people keep saying, take part 2 ASAP.

What do folk think of GUILDFORD part 2 course, Manchester course, and what's this BBR course?

Apart from 'run away', and 'a drink a day' (expertise in these area well established), what did you part 2 candidates do at the outset - how did you come up with a game plan to beat the odds?

THANKS for any help and previous advice above.

PS I also started using Mind Maps, for part 1 and found this an excellent tool for revising, summarising, and lectures. Found speed reading naff, 'cos surely you need to think about material and make connections/sense of it - can't do this at speed (But I may be the odd one out)

Cool pic sammy! Pity it's Richard Gere!

Well done on passing Part I. &nbsp:lol:on't even think about worrying about Part II for a while. Have a well earned break!

I agree that mindmaps are fab. Congrats for passing Part 1.

Manchester course is well worth it as far as I'm concerned. Very exam focussed. Good at question spotting.

I think that clinical experience and reading editorials have been two of the most useful things for Part II , also the BBR clinical course..really scary!!

Don't rush into part two, have a break, do some specialities and chill!

???thanks for the comments,mind maps are the only technique i have not tried, critical appraisal,clinicals are not the problem, mcqs are .... I have done all the courses except NB :o,never read the material again. Manchester is defnitely the best.gilford is a good two weeks off work and great nightlife 8)

will 4 months do with amygdala technique?

???any good books on sociology, esp the ape questions ,divorce ect..

I've just passed my part 2 writtens and am waiting for the clinical result. I found the manchester Course excellent. It's concise and to the point and helps you get things into perspective. Don't worry about basic sciences questions on the hierachy of baboons because nobody knows it. Manchester helps you focus on what is likely to come up and technique.

I remember looking at the part 2 syllabus and thinking i needed a career change...honestly its not as bad as it seems!

Use th force...you'll get through! (also exam day is very long...I find red bull helps!!!

: :othanks for the positive vibes,good luck for the clinicals,any tips for the sociology questions,is it worth reading the seminar series??

:-/To be honest the sociology questions in the exam were mainly guess work. It may be worth following the syllabus to the letter for revision and use a specific sociology text.

::)maybe i need a exam coach,or a life coach,all this obsessive collection of notes,not reading them as if owing them will magically help me pass :'( or the years of having fun has shrivelled my brain.

8)I wonder what peoples thoughts are on,life coach, psychoanalysis for chronic underachievement! has anyone tried it?

Shouldn't everyone be in endless analysis?.

Tough one that.

'life coach' is like a parent, and we {physically} leave them behind, or are supposed to.

If it is true that by our natures we are all life long jueveniles, then lifelong parental guidance would not be inappropriate.

8)that is cool,dude.what are other people's thoughts?

stratergy and a reasonable knowledge base. do the manchester course they give succinct up to date notes and lots of past isq.tend to be good at guessing essays too. leung book on critical review is useful. slimline your reading +++. you can't hope to cover it all. learn to act on your initiative not all essays or pmps are book answers but require an assimilation of the basic knowledge that you have. don't be scared act confident.

8)my analyst acted in the 'pelican brief', thanks for your brief,pellican.....

220 visits and only 17 posts,come on budding psychiatrist ,say something

Thanks for the tips.. never too late!!

I went easy peasy (and lucky, I guess!) through Part I and will have to complete other 6/12 training anyway even if I pass tomorrow..

So, the Q is: having started (propper) revision only a fortnight ago, what r the odds of passing part II at first attempt to that of never passing it??

Feeling quite hopeless, really, especially for the essay.. got too little experience in all these literature & Laws around..

Anyway.. if u feel anything like me.. Nevermind!! Still worth giving it a try & make treasure of the experience, right??

I promise, I start revising earlier next time & maybe a booze less per week could help :lol:

can you guys please tell me what mind maps are?

i note that 'jack', ' marianna' and 'amygdala' use it and find it helpful....

but, what on earth are they???

i tried a new approach and it appears to have worked

ist: learn classification until u are blue in the face

2. learn TCA's and SSRis and whether they act pre or post synaptically

3. learn the atypicals

4. the psychopathol is kinda always the same.

5 the psychology is bitty enough but i could do most of them for a change,

i think i worked harder on it.

the emi's

if u know icd10 u can rule out some of the answers immediately. ie somatization disorder isnt the diagnosis in someone with unexplained illness of 7 months duration/

learn dom/non dom lesions for parietal, occipital frontal and temporal regions.

learn midd, ant and post cerebral art occlusions.,

the emis are taking greater importance in this exam

i passed this time cos i knew icd10 better

Regarding the part 2 exams, there is no substitute for clinical experience, so only rush into them if you have plenty of it. I think that the majority of people who pass part 2 quickly, walk away with a secret smile on their face, coupled with an enormous sense of relief. The secret smile is usually because they passed, and the majority of the stuff they learnt in the preceding weeks had nothing to do with it. The relief because they know they could easily fail the writtens if faced with a rerun.

The key to passing is to understand the assessment system. Let me expand:

1. Try as you may, and however much basic science you cram, the basic science mcq paper will be a nightmare. So you must understand that you need to be as rubbish as the average psych SHO at this paper.

2. Clinical psychiatry mcqs: This is where clinical experience really counts. Even if you cover the whole syllabus in your reading, you will apply educated guesses to the majority of questions using your clinical nouse. Again you need to be as rubbish as the average psych SHO at this paper.

3. The critical appraisal paper is what everyone is rubbish at. Know this subject inside out and try loads of past papers. I can't stress it enough, cleaning up in this paper boosts your chance of passing in a big way, you need to and can be significantly better than the average SHO in this paper. Do whatever it takes, get good at critical appraisal under time pressure.

4. The essay paper is another paper that you must and can excel in. You don't need volumes of psychiatric knowledge, you need to be able to produce a nice bit of writing. It needs to be beautifully written, colourful, diagrammatic, well-argued prose; oh and there needs to be some psychiatry in there.

In my opinion it is points 3 and 4 that discriminate the pass from fail candidates. So before you do anything get kick-arse at critical appraisal and learn to write, and then learn some psychiatry.

That's what i think anyway.

Mathematicus