Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dr_khan

Moving to middle east after CCST.

6 posts in this topic

Hi, can anyone guide me around the prospects of working middle east as a psychiatrist after completing training in uk.......salary, opportunities, living costs etc.

Im not surprised to see a fellow Khan wanting to move to the middle east. To be perfectly honest I would struggle to move to any part of the middle east apart from the UAE. I have a very good friend who is doing paeds in Dubai and he loves it there. He is doing part 2 of his membership exam at the moment and gets paid 10K Dms a month ( No taxes). He also gets paid a little for his kids schooling etc. The one thing to remember is that you get paid a lot more in the private sector, which is a big part of the health service there but I am not sure how secure these jobs are. If you have a British Passport then you get paid a lot more.

i agree with Peech on all points.. having lived in the middle east for 10 years and seen some of the practices there, it isnt surprising.. pay in Kuwait is probably more but i'd rather live in UAE than kuwait..

visiting Dubai later this month, so if i get an opportunity, i will make a few enquiries..

your pay depends on your color,nationality and religion .

It is open discrimination in middle east.

2 people like this

One things that people forgot to mention is language. They all speak Arabic and maybe little english. As a Psychiatrist you need to communicate effectively. If you were going to apply for a job in Surgery, then thats no problem.

Also,

No Wine or beer in Saudi Arabia

there is no dearth of interpreters from what i gather. besides most of the younger generation have a working knowledge of english and therefore communication isnt as much a problem as it was approx 10 years ago..

and to go with no wine or beer, there are no taxes either !