G.
Parallel RCT

H.
Prospective Cohort

I.
Qualitative study

J.
Systematic review

1. To look at the number of suicides following an episode of overdose.

2. To look at the number of children developing cardiac abnormalities in mothers on lithium.

3. To compare whether a new drug has fewer side effects than another, established drug.

Can some one clarify these Qs pls:

A.
Case-control

B.
Cross over trial

C.
Cross sectional survey

D.
Ecological survey

E.
N of 1 study

F.
Open Label RCT

G.
Parallel RCT

H.
Prospective Cohort

I.
Qualitative study

J.
Systematic review

1. To look at the number of suicides following an episode of overdose. case control or retrospective cohort (Prospective cohort may be unethical)

2. To look at the number of children developing cardiac abnormalities in mothers on lithium. case control

3. To compare whether a new drug has fewer side effects than another, established drug. prospective cohort

My guess

Ans: 1 Case cont ( for ethical reason)

2. Ecological std???????????

3 Parallel RCT???????????

To look at the number of suicides following an episode of overdose. (case control)

2. To look at the number of children developing cardiac abnormalities in mothers on lithium. (cross sectional survey)

3. To compare whether a new drug has fewer side effects than another, established drug. ( RCT)

To look at the number of suicides following an episode of overdose. (case control)

2. To look at the number of children developing cardiac abnormalities in mothers on lithium. (cross sectional survey)

3. To compare whether a new drug has fewer side effects than another, established drug. ( RCT)

• Like This

I have a slightest reservation for the third one. It is unethical to conduct an RCT merely for side effects. Yes RCT is an option if you are measuring benefits as well. Your answer is right but I think provided we measure the positive effects as well.

Posted Today, 06:55 PM

A.
Case-control

B.
Cross over trial

C.
Cross sectional survey

D.
Ecological survey

E.
N of 1 study

F.
Open Label RCT

G.
Parallel RCT

H.
Prospective Cohort

I.
Qualitative study

J.
Systematic review

1. To look at the number of suicides following an episode of overdose. case control or retrospective cohort (Prospective cohort may be unethical)

2. To look at the number of children developing cardiac abnormalities in mothers on lithium. Cross sectional survey

3. To compare whether a new drug has fewer side effects than another, established drug. RCT (if positive outcome measured too) or prospective cohort

My revised guess

For 2 i too thought Cross sectional.

But for some reason the ans is Ecological study

For 2 i too thought Cross sectional.

But for some reason the ans is Ecological study

OK. We go by the course answer.

The answer is let us say Ecological Survey

The reason is that they are counting the numbers not calculating incidence and prevalence ratios and not accounting for confounding factor. Ecological survey is less robust than a cross sectional survey. Ecological study points towards relationship between cause and effect but does not measure incidence and prevalence. Cross Sectional study measures incidence and prevalence but does not tell about the temporal relationship. That is my understanding.

http://quizlet.com/7264177/study-design-iecological-and-cross-sectional-studies-flash-cards/

http://www.rfcom.ca/glossary/index.shtml

http://www.eaaci.net/images/files/Pdf_MsWord/2012/EpidemiologyIG/Ecological%20and%20Xsectional%20studies.pdf

http://www.drcath.net/toolkit/descriptive.html

Posted Today, 06:55 PM

A.
Case-control

B.
Cross over trial

C.
Cross sectional survey

D.
Ecological survey

E.
N of 1 study

F.
Open Label RCT

G.
Parallel RCT

H.
Prospective Cohort

I.
Qualitative study

J.
Systematic review

2. To look at the number of children developing cardiac abnormalities in mothers on lithium. Cross sectional survey

3. To compare whether a new drug has fewer side effects than another, established drug. RCT (if positive outcome measured too) or prospective cohort

My revised guess

option 1: case control: you have a case and control, u r studying a care outcome, which is why CC, yes you can argue retrospective cohart, its more tedious, hence easy peesy is CC.

2: cross sectional, can disucuss about prosp cohart also. still looking for the outcome

3. RCT: good method, to test drug, doesnot matter efficacy, effectivness sideffects,