Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gollu007

Apple set to unveil iPad Mini next week

20 posts in this topic

http://www.ft.com/cm...l#axzz29U7OAelw

High quality global journalism requires investment. Please share this article with others using the link below, do not cut & paste the article. See our Ts&Cs and Copyright Policy for more detail. Email ftsales.support@ft.com to buy additional rights. http://www.ft.com/cm...l#ixzz29U8ZP7Ai

Apple set to unveil iPad Mini next week

By Tim Bradshaw in San Francisco

Apple hopes to maintain its dominance in the tablet market despite competition from Microsoft, Google and Amazon with a cheaper, smaller iPad, which is expected to be unveiled next week.

The California-based technology giant sent out invitations to a press launch next Tuesday, which months of leaks suggest will include an 8-inch iPad “Mini

It is interestingly 3 days before Microsoft conference, allegedly outing Surface and Win 8. Good timing!!

If Win8 tablets are good enough, they will beat apple by far as they are much cheaper in the market. At present they have a better spec.

Such a good time to be a gadget geek! Spolit for choice.

I'm wondering where Sagir is in this hoha?

where i usually am.. watching from a distance as the drama unfolds..

i will be honest, the miniPad doesnt hold my interest at all. at the price they will be offering at, i'd be able to get to TWO quality Android tablets. in fact i already got 2 Nexus 7's for my sisters.. and if i hadnt bought my iPad before the Nexus 7 was announced, i'd have got one for myself too.

I am interested in watching what MS do with their specs (they havent yet released a complete list) and the price tag. the RT version is priced at 300 dollars in the States, which is about 100 bucks cheaper than the base iPad. the Nexus 7 is at 200 dollars. a majority of people wanting to get a tablet do it for browsing, email, music, some videos and books. If MS is targeting a niche market and touting the practicaility and productivity of Win 8 tabs, then their price is right. if they want the mass market, then i think they should look at a further 50 dollars drop. This is more so as apart from a different OS, there is nothing much Win 8 is doing for tablets that Android already isnt - both in terms of hardware and software. the more practical Android tabs like Asus Transformer already are at that price tag and many have invested in either Android or iOS ecosystems. if MS want to take that audience away, they will have to do so by offering a better software experience and package or getting the price cheaper.

Edit - forgot to add that the key difference in screen size.. the RT version at $300 is probably a 9" tab.. whereas the NExus 7 is, well, 7" tab at $200.. so after all, they will be able to make inroads..

however, i still wish they had gone ahead with their Courier.. that device was promising awesomeness !

the Sammy Note 2 is doing just that but is still in infancy.

Another interesting development will be whether OEMS like HTC, Samsung, Asus etc will offer Win 8 tabs as well. and how will their pricing differ from MS own brand hardware. MS have really thrown a challenge to these guys by manufacturing their own hardware.

dont get me wrong, i like the look and feel of Win 8 Metro style.. didnt like it on the laptop (had isntalled a version in development, barely used it.. too cumbersome if you arent using touchscreen) but it will be really good on a touch interface. so waiting for the respective announcements to be made..

as for the miniPad something tells me it will be an even larger iPod Touch ;)

Apple generally have pushed the envelope for hardware with each release and with the existing iPad i wonder how they can improve on the miniPad.. unless it is just a smaller version of the New iPad.. me thinks Apple is a bit late in entering the 7" tablet market where Amazon's Kindle Fire and Nexus 7 have made significant inroads so far..

what would really grate is for iFans to say "wow, what a marvellous release by Apple" when all along they have been criticising other 7" tab makers.. Apple this year have reversed some of their earlier decisions - we wont make large screen iPhones, we wont make 7" tablets, we dont see a potential for LTE in our phones etc etc.. seems liek they are playing catching up instead of being the leader..

Well, they are still right about the large screen phones.. 4" is hardly large by today's smartphone standards :P

Edited by SagirParkar

Apple this year has been in the business of elongating or shortening their products. One wonders about some magical blue pill

well.. the miniPad event came and went.. barely a ripple through the tech circles.. i read the press releases and comments and every ooh and aah associated with a new product's launch... and i must say.. this one was even more damp than the 'meh' that the iPhone 5 elicited... i find really hard to believe that even the most die hard of iFans would be excited about this product...

with i5, Apple was catching up with flagship Android devices.. with the miniPad, it is not even doing that !!! the Nook HD, Kindle Fire HD and Nexus 7 are much better devices and value for money compared to the miniPad.. and just a little more than the miniPad, you get a full fledged Win RT tablet, which i must say is really tempting me at present..

what the hell were Apple thinking.. also, if you cant praise your own product, atleast do no slag off other market leading devices in your speeches Mr Cook..

brilliant both of them !!1

i think i will wait for the iPad mini mega micro :P

yes I am an apple fanboy but I have been underwhelmed by both the iphone 5 and the mini. with the iPAD why bother with the mini.I have hugeeee hands and Im happy. The iphone 5 is just a longer and lighter version of the last iphone 4s (that I have) so why would I get too excited about something like that. I want something different and unfortunately the apple people have not delivered this time.

Prefer normal ipad which is not bad for touch typing. mini-ipad might be too small to use all fingers to type quickly.

One big disadvantage of using Ipad is that you can't do multiple things at the same time. e.g. surfing a website while listening to something. It's all or none law.

yes I am an apple fanboy but I have been underwhelmed by both the iphone 5 and the mini. with the iPAD why bother with the mini.I have hugeeee hands and Im happy. The iphone 5 is just a longer and lighter version of the last iphone 4s (that I have) so why would I get too excited about something like that. I want something different and unfortunately the apple people have not delivered this time.

dude.. u were NEVER a fanboy.. you only jumped onto the bandwagon when the iDevices became very popular..

to illustrate my point i want to ask which was the first iPhone u got ? if i remember right it was either the 3GS or the iPhone 4... and it was only after that you got hooked onto Apple's pretty products.. wont be too long before you jump ship to either Android or Win 8 phones..

Prefer normal ipad which is not bad for touch typing. mini-ipad might be too small to use all fingers to type quickly.

One big disadvantage of using Ipad is that you can't do multiple things at the same time. e.g. surfing a website while listening to something. It's all or none law.

i think you can listen to music and do stuff at the same time.. it is a pain when u want to use two other applications at the same time .. but i think with iOS 5, you can use 4-finger gestures to use switch between diff apps which are held in a 'pause' mode in the background..

on another note, my biggest gripe with them is that you CAN'T attach files to an email !!!! how annoying is that.. i dont believe that this is Apple's vision of 21st century tablet-based computing experience.. they sure do use fancy words during their presentations and launch speeches..

as for the miniPad, many reveiwers have commented that the smaller sized screen makes typing a bit difficult for people with larger hands.. and also that the the screen res isnt on par with the Fire HD and Nexus 7, let alone on par with the Retina Pad.. but then this is not surprising at all, given that Apple expect people to queue up again next year when they launch the Retina display equipped miniPad 2..

Damn they have sold 3 millions of it in the first week!

i m waiting for release of i phone mini

Damn they have sold 3 millions of it in the first week!

yep.. no surprise there. but given Apple's recent sales, 3 million is not much.. having said that, there is always a market for a quality 7inch device.. and there are ppl who will only buy apple

i think you can listen to music and do stuff at the same time.. it is a pain when u want to use two other applications at the same time .. but i think with iOS 5, you can use 4-finger gestures to use switch between diff apps which are held in a 'pause' mode in the background..

on another note, my biggest gripe with them is that you CAN'T attach files to an email !!!! how annoying is that.. i dont believe that this is Apple's vision of 21st century tablet-based computing experience.. they sure do use fancy words during their presentations and launch speeches..

as for the miniPad, many reveiwers have commented that the smaller sized screen makes typing a bit difficult for people with larger hands.. and also that the the screen res isnt on par with the Fire HD and Nexus 7, let alone on par with the Retina Pad.. but then this is not surprising at all, given that Apple expect people to queue up again next year when they launch the Retina display equipped miniPad 2..

Thanks. I was not aware of what you said. Sometimes I want to listen to youtube clips (videos) while doing something else. e.g. opening different pages at the same time. While reading a news article, I might want to to listen to a youtube clip etc.... Can you open two internet windows at the same time?

ahh youtube is an enirely different kettle of fish as it is a fully functioning app as a whole.. and therfore cant 'run' in the background like music does..

i am certain that music can be run in the background using the music player on ur iDevice and i have even listened to podcasts while browsing Flipboard or sending out emails or just staring at photos of sexy models :)

and you can do this, not just with the 4-finger swipe across the screen but by also pressing the home button..

to internet windows cant be opened.. two tabs can be. i dont use Safari on my iPad as Chrome gives me better functionality. but even with the tabbed browsing on Chrome, the way iOS runs it seems that the the other tabs are frozen when u are using a different one.. and when u return to the other tabs, they then refresh as u browse the content on that page.. have not tried it specifically for youtube though. but i will give it a try and let u know - there is only one way to find out if you can do it or not :)

Thanks. I was not aware of what you said. Sometimes I want to listen to youtube clips (videos) while doing something else. e.g. opening different pages at the same time. While reading a news article, I might want to to listen to a youtube clip etc.... Can you open two internet windows at the same time?

Check the app store for an app called play tube.