Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kris

CASC- Helping hand for Skype practice

12 posts in this topic

Jan 2013 CASC takers, who are serious about the exam and willing to take constructive feedback in order to pass, please personal message me as I am keen to help with some skype practice.

kris i am interested will u b able to help with some skype practice

Sure Makara. First come first serve!!!

Please personal message me with your background like-

1. CASC previous attempts, if any

2. CASC courses taken previously, if any

3. CASC course material on hand, if any

4. CASC course due to take now, if any

5. Brief background about yourself regards psychiatric sub-specialty experience, what stations you feel are difficult or easy, what is your understanding of the feedback of your CASC performance in the past (if unsuccessful in the past), what does it mean to pass CASC and get membership for you in Jan 2013.

I would welcome other candidates too wishing to take up my offer but it will be first come first serve basis with the information on above points.

The reason I want the above information is I do not want to commit my time and effort to something, which will not be beneficial to both parties.

Earlier one starts practicing for CASC is the better and hence earlier I have a group to work with, it will be better. Give some serious thought.

Hey Kris

Thanks for your prompt reply

I cant find a way of sending a personal message to you.

Could you suggest if you knew

Also I am serious about passing my Casc in this first attempt

I can send me you a detailed message

Hi Makara

I have sent a personal message, to which you can reply with the details.

Kris

Hi Kris,

Thank you for the help offered.

I am very much interested to join your skype practice.

Will you please send a personal mail to share further details about me?

Update-

I have 3 very committed candidates wanting to practice straightaway. I will be willing to take atleast 3 more, if there is anybody committed to pass CASC in Jan 2013, please send a personal message with the details asked in the previous posts by no later than 08 Nov friday.

After that I intend to propose a time table for Skype practice with the candidates considering my availability. I would also encourage the candidates to practice with each other, so that they get more practice. I have also realised that candidates learn a lot by being a patient too!!!

Please be informed that I might not be able to continue to post tips for CASC, when once I commit to help handful of candidates. That is because as I have said before candidates have to be selfish to pass this exam just like local graduates. So I want my candidates to take an edge over others.

Anybody still undecided, now is the time to break shackles and make that all important decision in order to pass the exam.

1 person likes this

There is another advantage for candidates who wish to take my help. That is I have lot of notes prepared by myself (over the years) just for CASC individual scenarious along with website links and sources of information as any notes will become outdated very soon in Medicine.

Hence, I always advice candidates to start early and attend any CASC course thinking that you are doing a station as you would in the exam. There is no point in attending course just to realise how bad you are and feel well everybody is bad (it is true because most of the candidates attending courses will be IMG's who are less likely to pass). It is not about other IMG candidates, it is about telling the College that you though an IMG, you are no less than a local candidate and give no chance for college to fail you, even if College decides to pass only 30% of candidates next time, if there are only 30% local candidates giving exams!!!

IMG's don't think the pass percentage next time will again be 40% above, it will change depending on how many local candidates take the exam and hence it is important IMG's with lot of practice and introspection break even with local candidates. Some might argue you pass if you are lucky, I don't buy this argument because I am the most unluckiest person any of you can even start to imagine. Bottom line is luck factor will favour you only if you have worked hard and determined to achieve what you intend to achieve and have faith in yourself.

Hi Kris,

I want to join the group and happy to provide the background detail you want. Do you mind sending me the personal message/mail and can reply straightaway?

Thank you so much for helping us.

I appreciate willingness of some of candidates who contacted me for help and hope I will be able to help them to the best of my ability.

Due to time constraints, I will not be in a position to take on any more candidates. Best of luck to all.

Update-

One candidate started practice on Google Hangout with me and appears to be satisfied. (If any of you want to check, I can provide his email id with his consent for his honest feedback). Moreover has accepted my offer to pay £20 per hour, time spent while actually performing stations continuously with online timer, where I will be an actor (previously agreed stations) but no charge for the feedback time after finishing stations.

To make the arrangement very practical and beneficial to both of us, we have agreed

1. Mock of 8 single stations continuously with online timer, that will be 64 minutes without any break. Charge will be £20. Break for 15-20 minutes and resume feedback as long as necessary with no additional charge.

2. Mock of 4 paired stations continuously with online timer, that will be 96 minutes without any break. Charge will be £30. Again break for 15-20 minutes and resume feedback as long as necessary with no additional charge.

Finally, I will be looking for another 4-5 candidates only to make my effort worthwhile but at the same time not a burden on me and my family.

Bonuses-

1. If for instance, six candidates agree to my above offer, I am happy for the five candidates to be observers on google hangout while the candidate who performs only gets charged as above and vice versa.

2. I will try and email very valuable notes (some notes/ideas already posted here) and tips to accepted candidates only.

3. I will give my 100% commitment to help you. I will try and accommodate as many sessions as possible based on your request and my time constraints. Please don't forget that you are group of six candidates and you can continue to practice with others within the group.

4. Last but not the least, for personal reasons, I am on leave from now till end of January 2013. So there will be opportunities for more practice during the day time if you can let me know of your study leave days. The benefit of day practice is, we can do a mock test just like exam, 4 paired stations in the morning and 8 single stations in the afternoon (subject to availablility and time constraints).

5. Regarding payments, I have brought in the money element just to bring some seriousness to the efforts and commitment to both parties. We all know how much each (IMG) candidate ends up paying for courses and exams before they finally pass, if they are lucky!! Hence in comparison the money I am charging is meagre. At the same time, lot of people here know my hourly charge rates (£55-65) as locum staff grade, hence in comparison the money I will be earning through this venture is peanuts but the satisfaction of having helped a fellow IMG (most of you with family) who has and continues to struggle in this country will not be measurable.

Last word, regrettably, I have been a witness to so many of my IMG friends, who after all the efforts and sacrifices, today do not have a membership besides their names. I hope those who have an opportunity in their hands to shape their future will take by kicking the monster in them "ego."

If you have been successful in "locking" your ego elsewhere and committed to pass this exam, take this final call and please send hangout request at thalagwara@gmail.com as early as possible.

I am aware, SPMM is conducting weekend course on 1 and 2 Dec, so if you want to be serious and make better use of the course, contact me straightaway without wasting any time.

No time wasters please.

Update-

I have 3 candidates benefitting from paid sessions. There are few more who have shown interest but not taken that big step to request sessions.

Presumably, some might be thinking, I better do some preparation before I take the paid sessions and pay this "bugger." Others and majority, might be thinking, who the hell is he to make claims that he has cracked this exam and claims to help other IMG's to pass!!

I don't blame anybody. Honestly, I am able to spend some of my precious time helping fellow IMG candidates for two reasons.

1. I have no interest in taking up ST4 posts. This is what everybody does after passing CASC and pray god that the pass percentage continues to be 33%.

2. Due to personal circumstances, wholly beyond my control, I have been able to spare some time.

3. Last but not the least, my wife (non medico) is able to empathise with all the fellow IMG's there who have and continue to compromise on many valauable things in life, when CASC has put a "halt." Importantly, my wife, has allowed me to help you fellow IMG's at the cost of not sitting with my 4 year old son teaching alphabets etc

The call is yours! I can't stress anymore, how the decision you are going to make today is going to change your life.