Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gurpal

Catastrophic failings in schizophrenia care

6 posts in this topic

An independent inquiry says a major overhaul is needed in the system for caring for people with schizophrenia. The Schizophrenia Commission, which was set up a year ago, says patients spend too long in "demoralised and dysfunctional" hospital wards.Its analysis suggests the condition costs society almost £12bn a year - and treatment budgets could be spent more wisely to stop people from getting ill.

The commission, which was established by the charity Rethink Mental Illness, says too much is spent on secure care - 19% of the mental health budget in England last year - with many people staying too long in expensive units.

Among the 42 recommendations, the report calls for a better use of "recovery houses" in the community, to provide an alternative to hospital admission.

The average cost of a night in a mental health in-patient bed is £321 - meaning a typical admission of 38 days costing more than £12,000.

The commission says early intervention teams, which aim to help people before their hallucinations or delusions become severe, are popular and should be extended. The report claims some teams are being cut or diluted at the moment.

Full story on the BBC website

Link to ReThink

Link to The Schizophrenia Commission

1 person likes this

can early intervention teams 'prevent' people's mental state from deteriorating or the illness running its natural course by taking them bowling and to the cinema ?

i know that is a very a generalised comment, but the flavour i get from Rethink's recommendations seem to indicate similarly too.

early diagnosis, early institution of appropriate treatment and the requisite support is required, as is education about mental illnesses for the society at large..

can early intervention teams 'prevent' people's mental state from deteriorating or the illness running its natural course by taking them bowling and to the cinema ?

i know that is a very a generalised comment, but the flavour i get from Rethink's recommendations seem to indicate similarly too.

early diagnosis, early institution of appropriate treatment and the requisite support is required, as is education about mental illnesses for the society at large..

The Recovery Star - currently driving models of recovery in the UK.

Core dimensions of the Recovery Star

• Managing mental health
  • Physical health & self-care
  • Living skills
  • Social networks
  • Work
  • Relationships
  • Addictive behaviour
  • Responsibilities
  • Identity & self-esteem
  • Trust & hope

The proper reference to "catastrophic failings" should be in quotes as that is how it features in Rethink's press release

There is no reference to any actual catastrophe in the report itself.

I've written a blog about the report and it's presentation to the media here.

I gave a presentation about it today in Glasgow.

The view of the other consultants there was more critical - viewing the report as reductionist and opinion led.

The word "suicide" is not in any of the 88 pages. "Rehabilitation" only features three times in the text and not in the recovery context.

Anyone else have any views about the report and its presentation to pass on to Rethink?

What do you think Gurpal?

Edited for phrasing in 5th para

Edited by qualitytime

This board is to discuss psychiatry stories in the media, so it's the ideal place to discuss the BBC's slant on the story, although journalists in the popular media are often led by press releases.

Rethink chose to lead the media with their press release.

If a press release features words that are in quotes "...." , it would not be unreasonable to expect that the origin of "...." could be sourced in what the press release is describing.

Glad you agree this is the right board ;)