Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
slartibartfast

PS Vita - where's your story at?

8 posts in this topic

Went out yesterday and bought a PS Vita.

Saw some of the amazon reviews, that had people creaming in their jeans. And when I saw it, it was a kinda impulse decision.

It's a bit of a letdown in terms of content.

Okay, let me rephrase that. A massive letdown.

I bought Uncharted Golden Abyss and the video quality is something else. Better than anything else out there. Not as many PPI's as say a 4S - but looks like a beaut.

The only other games I'd feel like getting are AC3 and one of the two god of war games in the PSP section. The tomb raiders, and resident evil pieces in the PSone area are a good deal too.

But nothing really present gen that jumps out at you.

But by god, does it feel good!

Uncharted is a hoot.

But little choice after that.

But I don't intend to spend gazillions of time on it. Which is better than my 10-20 hour max investment in all my consoles wii/ps3/psp/ds.

yep, impulse buy. But I thought if not now, then when? :)

How're you guys doing with your's?

Any tips. Experiences. Games to play.

the problem with the Vita, in my opinion is the software support.. and also the use of proprietary material.. otherwise it would have been a must buy..

i played a bit with the 3DS and since i wanted a small portable console for light fun gaming rather than serious stuff, i bought the 3DS and a couple of Mario and Prof Layton titles.. good fun..

on the Vita though, i'd suggest u stick to the genres u like.. there are good racing games, then there is Metal Gear as well, there is a solid platformer in Little Big Planet. not sure where RPGs are at the moment but the God of War game is good too..

Not too excited about platformers. I usually like my third person adventure on consoles. Not really fps or rpg either.

Whilst fps oriented on PC. Occasional rpg.

Rts and third person joint second place.

Downloaded ghost of Sparta a PSP port from the ps store. Great optimisation for the vita.

But the comparison from enhanced PSP level graphics to the graphics of uncharted is huge. Environments look stunning in uncharted. Often have to stop just to look around :)

Uncharted. Ghost of Sparta. AC3 are my next three. Then we'll see.

Such a good decision to get one. Hours of fun.

Reccommended. I thought the PSP was as good as it got. The vita is streets ahead.

Not too excited about platformers. I usually like my third person adventure on consoles. Not really fps or rpg either.

Whilst fps oriented on PC. Occasional rpg.

Rts and third person joint second place.

Downloaded ghost of Sparta a PSP port from the ps store. Great optimisation for the vita.

But the comparison from enhanced PSP level graphics to the graphics of uncharted is huge. Environments look stunning in uncharted. Often have to stop just to look around :)

Uncharted. Ghost of Sparta. AC3 are my next three. Then we'll see.

Such a good decision to get one. Hours of fun.

Reccommended. I thought the PSP was as good as it got. The vita is streets ahead.

Vita is an obvious evolution of the handheld console.. why you ask me, one simple answer -TWIN joysticks !!!!

it is instantly instinctive, intuitive and feels natural to play not just ur usual platformers, RPGs but also FPS, a genre that has usually been under-represented and suffered on the handheld..

i got the first, second and then teh 3rd gen psp's with loads of games in teh begining but somehow down the line have lost interest and my psp and the games are just gathering dust now. sure i take them every where i go but hardly ever play them.

so my question is what is so different in a vita that would make me want to get one? yeah i know teh duo joystick and improved graphics etc are great but still its the functionality of it, wouldnt it have been just better if they released a phone/hand held game console like the sony erricson one (dont remeber the name) they realeased a few years ago and just improved the graphics and battery life on them?

:huh:

i think where Sony lags behind in the console market, and Nintendo excels, is the software that is available for these consoles.. whereas the games on the PSP and PSV feel like proper games, high end graphics etc etc, they are still hardocre stuff most of the time... you have to invest time in these just as you;d invest time with ur PS3..

on the DS and 3DS, most of the games are casual fun.. you play a level or two on super mario and then give it a rest, go to sleep etc etc.. heck you can even take it to the loo and play out a level while you are doing ur business.. therefore game saves are very speedy too.. and many of these games bring about a nostalgic sense of fun... :)

i'll admit, i am loving my 3DS and using it on a casual basis, which is pretty much atleast every alternate day !

insane - its the graphics, the handheld vita is a beast - sorry battery life of 4 hours in this day and age - but only because it is such a beast.

I agree with you completely. I bought a PSP too, and it gathered dust after a while. I did enjoy GOW - chains of olympus, but very few other games I can remember. I remember buying a shedload of psp games too. :(

The Vita is pretty much the same experience - piss poor selection (there are psone games, and PSP games to be downloaded) - and game developers are shunning it because of low console numbers.

I'm happy enough having bought it - but am wary of similar concerns that you've noted. Poor game choice, and I'll outgrow it.

The vita is different in that moving the handheld around moves the cursor - so you can get headshots with moving the console around. The touch screen is utilised (not as well as nintendo may have) and adds to the fun. Sliding your fingers through a route to climb through is a welcome change. Holding the vita up against a bright light to solve an encrypted puzzle opens your eyes to some of its possibilities. But big selling point is the PS3 level graphics on a handheld.

My reason for buying it - I live only once. There have been two consoles released over the last 10 years, and I can't miss out on one for reasons of cost, or waiting for the price to come down. (its 160 quid which is cheap enough - though games can pinch too at 20-40 quid each). And yes, the graphics too.

Playing a game while out on a train, or waiting for a friend is far better on a vita than an iphone/ipad.

Finished uncharted on normal, and it has a completely different feel on hard. Probably give crushing difficulty a go when its unlocked.

I'm playing persona4golden at the moment, which is my first introduction into japanese RPG's, and I'm really liking it so far. Even if I had to pay almost 40 quid (39) for the game. But 80 hours of gameplay for one of the best games (not just on the vita) ever made seems to add longevity to it.

AC3 up next. GOW ghost of sparta is still being played (PSP upgraded version).

So game wise, I'm sorted for the next few weeks. After that is a whole different matter.

SP - I think the vita (PSP too) was made for pick up and go (and throw) gaming. Most firefights in Uncharted, are just a few minutes long. Perfect for pick up and play gaming. I cant play nintendo games (did buy a DS, but didnt play it for longer than the first couple of hours), as they're just too cutesy for me (says mr P4G, but yeah, the cutesy characters are a drag. And the graphics on it are abysmal after being spoilt with uncharted).

Not many games coming up. Would I recommend people to get it? On balance, probably not. Poor game selection. Nothing after uncharted, AC3, P4G apart from PS2 ports like MGS, or PSP ports like GOW, GTA series. Doesn't look like it will move any more stocks in the near future to tempt third party developers. Hence, longevity and gaming library concerns.

However if you have 160 notes to drop on an on the go gaming device, 3DS or not, this is the best handheld console gaming experience on the face of the planet for the next few years. I don't regret buying it. But then again, I'll be the first in line (three months or so down the line when prices first crash) for the next iteration. Of course, I might be an early adopter, but if I get an absolute dick softener down the line like the PSP GO, then maybe not. But if I do get a generational iteration, Im picking that bad boy up. Just the difference between the psp and the vita makes me get wood for the next big small thing.

Really at the end of the day, sony shot themselves in the foot. Poor marketing. I didnt really hear of how good the machine was till I saw it. Proprietary memory sticks which add another 15-30 quid to the price. Way to piss third party developers and buyers alike.