Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
flakjak

Interesting books recently

2 posts in this topic

Couldnt find another thread although there may have been a while ago?

What do people read apart from medical books? Philosophy is a interst area of mine. I dont know if it is a recent trend, but allegoriacal novel genre appeals to me as i find it tries to connect the fats with abstract.

Anyway I was reading thisbook "immortals of Meluha" by Amish Tripathi. It is the first of a fictional trilogy about Shiva, the Indian God, being thought of as a human who actually lived. It eulogises him as what would be an equivalent of a modern day hero.

It is a thriller come adventure genre with a philosophical undertone re: paulo Coelho? (some have hailed the author as the indian version). The plot starts with Shiva leading a nomadic life in the upper reaches of the Himalyas before being disovered by the leading civilisation (Suryavanshies) in North India to be the legendary saviour who would help them defeat their cultural and philosophical antithesis and enemies (the Chandravanshies).

The book is the first part of Shiva's journey from being recognised as above to becoming a leader to his leading the Suryavanshies into battle with their enemies. On the way Shiva is also starting to learn the philosophy of life from the Vasudev pandits. He learns love and marriage. His journey is that of discovery of Truth from rumours or conjecture, of finding out about personal identity, of expectations placed on him.

Very gripping, couldnt put it down from cover to cover. A lot of modernity is also woven into the story which makes an interesting concept, like The Somras being an antioxidant mixture, or medical sceince having a lot of modern discoveries already known thousands of years ago. The plot is also well set in the Hindu mythology and a lot of incidents bear there origiins in the folklore around one of the most maverick and mercurial Gods in the Hindu belief.

i would recommend a read. My interest was to see whether mythology could be fictionlised in India. I thought it was well written. The plot would meander at times, but the author was abl to infuse thrills and nostalgia that I really liked. Also there was not much religous or ethnic sentiment which I think can increase its appeal to a diverse audience.

Currently reading the second book, The Secret of the Nagas. Will come back with views ....

ooooh... nice... i like Nagas :)