Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ryukenden

Morbid jealousy. I appreciate your suggestions

5 posts in this topic

I had failed in the station Morbid Jealousy in the linked station when I had to explain to the partner about management plan.

I failed the station with borderline fail stating I lacked "empathy". I was quite firm with my management plan to admit the patient into hospital for further assessment due to risk issues. The partner kept saying that he would not harm her and liked to take him back home.

I explained to her about my diagnosis, "Morbid Jealousy" and history of previous violence to his ex-partners in the past as well as risk being increased by his alcohol misuse. I said to her that he also had had thoughts of attacking her as well as the third person whom he believed having affair with her. In the real situation, that would be usually enough for the partner or family to agree for the admission but she somehow kept saying he would not harm her and liked to take him back home. The bell came and I told her it was my professional opinion and decision to admit her due to concerns regarding violence to others including her and the third party. But failed in that station due to "lack of empathy" and if I passed that station, i would have passed 12 stations.

I appreciate comments and suggestions from people who passed that station on how to deal with that lady.

Many thanks

1 person likes this

Going by your description and the feedback identifying 'lack of empathy'

My suggestion is based on own experience and having observed other perform in similar situation-

I would pause for a second and think, why does this lady want to take her partner home despite all the risks etc etc. She is not insane to not understand candidates reasons, so it is important for candidate to empathise with her!!!!

How does one empathise in these situations. Just reflect back to her politely and ask, well we have discussed about X, Y, Z etc etc but I am still unsure, what is it that makes you think/believe otherwise? Would you like to tell me please.

Based on her response, accept it is a difficult situation and acknowledge that her reasoning is absolutely right given her situation and thought process, don't just dismiss but say something like- we want to help you and your partner, ensure both of you are safe, supported etc etc

Give some time for the partner to reflect and see the genuine effort you are making to help both of them. Don't feel rushed to push your agenda thinking you will fail if you don't insist on admission.

Remember this station is to test your skills of communication and decision making is sometimes a 'process' and should involve patient and carer, while attempting to identify underlying defenses and deal with them appropriately.

2 people like this

Thanks. May be there was a hidden agenta why she insisted to take her partner back home.

Social issues? Being scared to be alone at home? No other support at home apart from her partner? Herself having physical problems? Anyone who passed was able to tease out the hidden agenta?

I should have mentioned social aspects of management including carer support etc.....

2 people like this

Thanks. May be there was a hidden agenta why she insisted to take her partner back home.

Social issues? Being scared to be alone at home? No other support at home apart from her partner? Herself having physical problems? Anyone who passed was able to tease out the hidden agenta?

I should have mentioned social aspects of management including carer support etc.....

Agreed

Carer's support is an important issue in most stations.

1 person likes this

i failed this statiom in january dt same reason the wife keep saying that she loves him n want to take him home i dont know why this insist but anway i ll try to look for reason