Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bluemoon

What investigation will you do to confirm his diagnosis:

12 posts in this topic

An elderly man admitted to a medical ward is experiencing agitation, confusion. He has a cardiac pacemaker. What investigation will you do to confirm his diagnosis:

a) CT

b MRI

c) SPECT

d)EEG

e) LP

ok, may be u are rightand itis infection butwhy did she mention pace maker which makesnyou think it i something embolic because he must be on anti coagulants with the pace maker

I thnk it is CT scan.

With traditional pacemakers, MRI scans can pose associated device-related risks. The extremely strong magnetic fields used in MRI procedures could affect the pacemaker’s normal functions; therefore, patients with traditional pacemakers should not have MRIs.

However, you can safely have a CT scan, chest and dental x-rays, diagnostic ultrasound, mammography and fluoroscopy.

2 people like this

I thought pacemaker - could be source of infection. I may also be totally wrong.

usually CTscan would be for space occupying lesion - and theme they mention one side weakness etc.

I thnk it is CT scan.

With traditional pacemakers, MRI scans can pose associated device-related risks. The extremely strong magnetic fields used in MRI procedures could affect the pacemaker’s normal functions; therefore, patients with traditional pacemakers should not have MRIs.

However, you can safely have a CT scan, chest and dental x-rays, diagnostic ultrasound, mammography and fluoroscopy.

agreed

MRI is contraindicated as it can cause damage to the MRI machine.

If fever then sure LP otherwise it should be CT

Edited by siaad

Are we sure fever was mentioned?? Then LP would be the choice i suppose

even for LP one needs to ensure ICP is not raised with CT scan first.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0