Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bluemoon

Study design

8 posts in this topic

1-Theme: Study design

A. Randomised control study B. Case series C. Retrospective cohort study D. Analytical cross-sectional study E. Ecological study F. Case-control study G. Qualitative study H. Prospective cohort study

1-A researcher collects information on a small number of patients who have all been regular users of a new designer drug nothing of which is known. The researcher looks in detail at effects on mental and physical health

2-A research team interviews people with antisocial personality disorder and a group of controls and asks questions on a number of suspected risk factors such as physical abuse and substance misuse

1. I think answer to question one is c retrospective cohort stuydy - as he is just collecting the infomration to see what happened.

2. I think asnwer is F. Case-control study (my tip to remember control study is when they mention control group in the question).

What do you guys think ?

1. I think answer to question one is c retrospective cohort stuydy - as he is just collecting the infomration to see what happened.

This is an example of a case series. A case series is a descriptive (observational) study on a small group looking for an association between an exposure and an outcome.

2. I think asnwer is F. Case-control study (my tip to remember control study is when they mention control group in the question).

Agreed,. The study begins with outcomes (ASPD) and then looks for historical risk factors

What do you guys think ?

For Question 1 yes I see your point it is a "one man show." and he is observing

What do you think about this question ( here they do intervention as well).

You are a doctor in SA clinic. Concern about the methamphetamine use might cause an increase in STDs in your patient. You decided to give educational talk to alternate patients.

Which study design to use for study relationship between methamphetamine use and STDs?

A. Focus group

B. Observation

C. Semi-structure interview

What study design you conducted to test the hypothesis?

A. Controlled trials

B. RCT

C. Case control

What is the primary outcome of the study (Concerning giving lectures)?

A. Understanding of methamphetamine and STDs relationship

B. Incidence of STDs

C. Prevalence of STDs

D. Abstinent rate of methamphetamine

For Question 1 yes I see your point it is a "one man show." and he is observing

You are a doctor in SA clinic. Concern about the methamphetamine use might cause an increase in STDs in your patient. You decided to give educational talk to alternate patients.

Which study design to use for study relationship between methamphetamine use and STDs?

A. Focus group

B. Observation

A. Controlled trials

B. RCT

C. Case control

B. Incidence of STDs

C. Prevalence of STDs

my guess are

A. Focus group

B. RCT

correct me if wrong

1-Theme: Study design

A. Randomised control study B. Case series C. Retrospective cohort study D. Analytical cross-sectional study E. Ecological study F. Case-control study G. Qualitative study H. Prospective cohort study

1-A researcher collects information on a small number of patients who have all been regular users of a new designer drug nothing of which is known. The researcher looks in detail at effects on mental and physical health

2-A research team interviews people with antisocial personality disorder and a group of controls and asks questions on a number of suspected risk factors such as physical abuse and substance misuse

Q1. I think it is Qualitatve study(or cross sectional but not analytical cross sectional): collecting information, views or opinions is Qualitative study.

What others think?

Sorry guys for the absence :

1. For question 1 I still think it is case series as in qualitative study we ask other people opinion. He is just collecting information.

2. For other question

A. Focus group

B. Observation

A. Controlled trials

B. RCT

C. Case control

B. Incidence of STDs

C. Prevalence of STDs

I remember the theme also said you allocate one pateint to the group (whom you will give talk ) and the next pateint you allocate to other group.

I knew it was a trial as - we are doing an intervention.

I wasn't sure b/w RCT and case controlled trial .