December 2012 - MRCPsych Paper 1 Feedback   19 members have voted

1. 1. How difficult was the exam?

• World record performance! Woohoo!
    • Gold medal - the training paid off!
    • Silver medal - should have done a bit better
    • Bronze medal - just good enough
    • Missed the medals - need to train harder
    • False start - I just want to forget all about it

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

341 posts in this topic

One about the wrong word order- a disorder of speech....

A woman works in an officw with others but she is a loner although she really would like company ---Anxious Avoidant Personality Disorder

A person who is constantly stressing the group to to focus on the commitment than anything else is

a.... Persuasive

B... Task orientated

C... Visionary.

???????

A doctor has just been appointed the team leader, he is focused on team commitment rather than team compliance

Ans. Visionary.

Autocratic was in the options as well

Just remembered another question about , which of the following is true regarding narcolepsy?

Night sleep is not commonly affected,

Duration varies between minutes to hours,

I don't remember other options but I know I have marked that wrong answer.

God save me. So many mistakes...

The answer to narcolepsy question is .... Association with HLA DR2.

The answer to alcohol question was ... Precontemplation stage

I don't remember any question about automatism

The Alcohol question said he had received detox and since 2 weeks he was off alcohol. I marked it as he was under maintanence stage. It looked like question repeated from Birmingham course.

u r absolutely right , now since u mentioned. I remember the question. I put maintainence as well. Thanks for reminding me. Post a few more . We'll discuss

Narcolepsy sleep is unrefreshed isn`t it?

Just remembered another question about , which of the following is true regarding narcolepsy?

Night sleep is not commonly affected,

Duration varies between minutes to hours,

I don't remember other options but I know I have marked that wrong answer.

God save me. So many mistakes...

The answer to narcolepsy question is .... Association with HLA DR2.

The answer to alcohol question was ... Precontemplation stage

I don't remember any question about automatism

The Alcohol question said he had received detox and since 2 weeks he was off alcohol. I marked it as he was under maintanence stage. It looked like question repeated from Birmingham course.

u r absolutely right , now since u mentioned. I remember the question. I put maintainence as well. Thanks for reminding me. Post a few more . We'll discuss

Narcolepsy sleep is unrefreshed isn`t it?

Narcolepsy sleep is always refreshing. Confirmed 100% positive abt that

The person who focuses on commitment is persuasive, hassan checked thru google. I was thinking between visionary and persuasive but finally went with persuasive which I think is right finally.

The correct answer was 100% , association with HLA dr2

There u go guys

Narcolepsy

Narcolepsy is a disorder of unknown etiology that is characterized by excessive

sleepiness that typically is associated with cataplexy and other REM sleep phenomena, such as sleep paralysis and hypnagogic hallucinations.

The excessive sleepiness of narcolepsy is characterized by repeated episodes of naps or lapses into sleep of short duration (usually less than one hour). The narcoleptic patient typically sleeps for 10 to 20 minutes and awakens refreshed but within the next two to three hours begins to feel sleepy again, and the pattern repeats itself.

There may be sudden and irresistible sleep attacks in situations where sleep normally never occurs (e.g. during an examination or while eating).

A history of cataplexy is a characteristic and unique feature of narcolepsy. It is

characterized by sudden loss of bilateral muscle tone provoked by strong emotion. Consciousness remains clear, memory is not impaired, and respiration is intact. The duration of cataplexy is usually short, ranging from a few seconds to several minutes, and recovery is immediate and complete. Cataplexy is always precipitated by emotion that usually has a pleasant or exciting component, such as laughter, elation, pride, anger, or surprise.

The use of tricyclic antidepressant medications such as protriptyline hydrochloride or imipramine hydrochloride almost always ameliorates cataplexy.

Sleep paralysis, hypnagogic hallucinations, automatic behaviour, and nocturnal sleep disruption commonly occur in patients with narcolepsy. Both sleep paralysis and hypnagogic hallucinations almost always correspond with sleep-onset REM periods.

Narcolepsy most commonly begins in the second decade, with a peak incidence around 14 years of age.

They t

I don`t think the question was a straightfoward association though

They took the question from paper 2 and put it in paper 1, that's why it's straight forward all the other options were wrong

They t

I don`t think the question was a straightfoward association though

They took the question from paper 2 and put it in paper 1, that's why it's straight forward all the other options were wrong

Cheers mate,

A few questions on medical ethics: Utilitarianism, deontology, paternalism, justice, principlism,

Yes , but I still question whether utilitarianism was an answer as the question was stressing on individual benefit first and then other things.

Paternalism 2 questions.... William tule in his book.... Paternalism

Doctor does what is best for the pt regardless of his wishes... Paternalism

Right based action .. Deontology

Action based on consequences..... Teleology

Which is a feature of 4 principles of medical ethics .... Justice.

No idea about the principlism question

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0