December 2012 - MRCPsych Paper 1 Feedback   19 members have voted

1. 1. How difficult was the exam?

• World record performance! Woohoo!
    • Gold medal - the training paid off!
    • Silver medal - should have done a bit better
    • Bronze medal - just good enough
    • Missed the medals - need to train harder
    • False start - I just want to forget all about it

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

341 posts in this topic

Did anyone notice that one of the questions about lithium administration was given in the paper twice or was I just hallucinating?

And if anyone can say what was the answer,that would be great.

I THINK ANS IS...LEFT SHIFT WBC

wht does every body think of the first question

doctor placed patients hand over his head

patient kept it over head for few minutes

whts the answer

catalepsy?(he didnt move it back to his normal position)

mitgehen?( angel lamp pose)

really confusing

please comment

CATALEPSY...

Antique de nervosa is classified under

Other somatic disorders

Other neurotic disorders

Etc etc

CANT REMEMBER

Which of the following is true about afrocarribean population

1. Parents of migrated afrocarribean patients have same risk as general population

2. Studies have shown that most of the afrocarribean who had psychosis were from Jamaica

3. There is no increased risk in people migrated from afrocarribean

CANT REMEMBER

Which among the following is true regarding cannabis

1. Alcohol is associated with early age psychosis

2. Cannabis is the only drug associated with development of psychosis

3. Psychosis is caused by only inhalation of cannabis

4. Following use of cannabis psychosis develops 2.7 years earlier than general population....RIGHT

There were 5 marks questions on validity. I always get them wrong and I don't remember the questions. They gave examples and asked us to identify which type of validity it belongs to.

One question on power, power given to a person due to his accomplishment.

Expert power

Reward power

Coercive power etc

Some questions on history

Who termed psychiatry

Who termed institutional neurosis...BARTON

Who started institutionalism something

Question about first rank symptoms being predictor of social isolation,primary symptoms from which other symptoms are derived etc

Area of reduced functioning in schizophrenia

Prefrontal cortex

The cognitive testing in schizophrenia will show what...impairment in planning etc

Quickest way of testing global cognitive function

MMSE,PSE etc....MMSE

The nonverbal test of intelligence....RAVEN

Memory test which utilises most measures of everyday functioning...something like that

Test to check semantic memory...vocabulary ,naming objects and describing their meanings

Man has read a paper and then shown another paper and asked which words were in the first paper...cue memory,normal recall memory,recognition,,,,,RECOGNITION

Drugs to avoid with fluoxamine - NSAIDs , don't remember other options. There was no Mao I s for sure...NSAIDs

If a parent is diagnosed with schizophrenia what are the chances of son/daughter getting schizophrenia...10-15%

Questions on withdrawal symptoms - sneezing yawning, dysphoric mood due to withdrawal of cannabis, cocaine, heroin, paroxetine etc.....I WENT FOR HEROIN AND COCAINE

Emis on disorders of speech

Emis on types of speech

questions on opiate withdrawl as well as cocaine.

sildinafil SE...NASAL STIFFNESS

a lady diagnosed with cancer , not accepting it as she says she has lived a healthy life style.( Fallacy of fairness)

attributional error..... definition and examples 2-3 questions.

developmental stages 6-7 questions....BABBLING

who wrote myths of mental illness

who wrote the psychopathology of everyday life.

questions on transitional object and klien's theory.

will post more later.

Everyone Good Luck...................................

In my opinion,the exam was tough and especially tricky. But still i think i wouldn't be surprised again if they take up the pass percentage to 65% as last time it was almost 64% and that paper was difficult as well.

Anyways best of luck to all you guys and if anyone can come up with other themes i would really appreciate that as even this time so many questions are repeated from the last time paper.

Goodmorning y'all...

Thanks IDontLikeExams for the compliment:-)

for the bicultarism qts, I chose the young couple, as in, the parents.. I didn't mean the young children...

Also, there was a qts about who came up with the degeneration theory: Morel

-who coined stigma- Goffman

2 Mcqs, one describing bulbar palsy features (so answer was LMN lesion) and the other

describing psedobulbar palsy ( so answer was UMN lesion)... One has to learn what happens to the tongue and speech for this...

1 person likes this

- belief that (??neighbors?? Or something else) can pass through the walls: Partition Delusion

-EMI on agnosias- anosognosia, agraphathesia; astereognosis...

-EMI on key history of psychiatry,like:

-DBT: Marsha Linehan

-Basic Assumption Theory: Bion

-group therapy: Foulkes

Also, MCQ on Minuchin's psychosomatic family traits... I chose overprotectiveness

Mcq on stigma: People with eating disorders are more likely to be blamed for their illness..

1 person likes this

I think it was referent power ad someone who is liked due to their accomplishments are likely to be given more power,but don't know why I went for legitimate in the exam.

For lithium,I might have answered that question wrong twice but I was more than confident that peripheral oedema is it's recognised SE...GOD knows....

I was confused btw catalepsy and psychological pillow as the later an be a form of waxy flexibility,I thought in catalepsy pt would assume abnormal postures by himself not by the doctor...lol...

Catalepsy = Waxy Flexibility = You can mold them into positions and they maintain these for prolonged periods

Posturing = They assume odd positions for prolonged periods

funnything though is what is a 'prolonged period' the exam questions states that the patient returned arm to resting positon after a few minutes

Had also considered Mitghen as an answer- my understanding is that the patient would have returned his arm to resting position but you only have to apply slight pressure and 'they' move thier arm in response (albiet in a exagerated manner that is disproportionate to the force you applied) in the exam question it doesnt suggest this, it seems to suggest that the doctor passively moves the arm all the way above the head and patient maintained it for few mins. Hence is went for Catalepsy

But overall for me it is just an example of poor question setting, its just not clear and no matter how well you memories/know the terms and the differences between them you can still answer this questions wrong!!.....Cue Frustration :huh:

I went for migration as the risk factor for schizophrenia

For aripiprazole,all i knew was that it has half life of 3 days so multiplied by 5, gives the time to reach steady state as 15 days...do people agree?

I THINK U ARE RIGHT, I ALSO WENT FOR THE SAME, IT WAS LAST CHOICE AND TAKES 15 DAYS FOR STEADY STATE

Aripiprazole takes 2 weeks to reach steady state, hence in clinic if you are ever chaning some to aripiprazole or taking them off it, you cross titrate over 2 week periods ----> 1 year ago Drug rep gave us a lecture on it!! Who knew paying attention instead of stuffing my face with stale Asda sandwhiches at lunch time academic sessions would earn me a mark on the Paper 1 exam. 'Still every little counts' :P

1 person likes this

There was question on how many half life does it take for a medication to be eliminated from the body

1. 5 half lives, 7, 10 etc etc

A patient can hear her own thoughts -:thought echo

A patient can see people coming in from a wall. Paraphernalia. This is authctonus delusion

Clozapine induced agranulocytosis in first year after starting it.

1%, 5%,20%, 24% etc: 1%

Following can influence stroop test

1. In attention bias : correct answer

2. Hawthorne effect

Don't remember other choices sorry

There were so many repeate questions from July 2012.

No body helps with answers after we post questions and therefore I am not very interested to post questions this time.

Anyways here are some questions I remember.

Repeats from july 2012 were

ECT introduced in which year? 1930s

William tuke used which kind of approach in York retreat? Humanitarian approach

Which of the following is the mechanism of intrinsic properties of a drug receptor? (I don't remember choices) can anyone please help with explanation of this question?

Which one of the following is true regarding atypical anorexia nervous? I chose atypical anorexia nervosa has milder forms of symptoms related to anorexia nervosa.

Interactions of lithium , which one among the following is true?

1. ACE Inhibitors cause potential side effects when given with lithium

2. Loop diuretics lowers lithium level.

3. NSAIDs cause dangerous side effects with lithium

Which one of the following is true regarding lithium,

1. Causes left shift in WBCS lithium can cause leukocyte sis but not left shift which is simply presence of immature white cells in blood due to stress like acute infections or blood loss

2. Peripheral oedema is common side effect of lithium

3. Lithium when given in therapeutic range causes characteristic EEG changes

Don't remember other choices

In capgras syndrome following are true

1. It's a type of conversion disorder

2. It's a type of reduplicative para amnesia

Don't remember other choices but there was no delusional misidentification

There was a ECG provided to identify the changes in it. I chosen anterior infarct

Will post more as and when I remember

hi,

few questions-

1. NMS- INCONTINENCE, constipation, leucocytopenia, etc

2. Long half life- ?NITRAZEPAM, temazepam, etc

3. a man has first episode of schizophrenia in his 20s, asked risk of relapse...

50% in 3 years, 5 yrs, 8 yrs, etc....?no clue answer

4. neuroasthenia classify in- OTHER NEUROTIC DISORDERS, somatoform, etc

5. depression with ptosis- MY GRAVIS, sarcoidosi, etc

6. EMI on defence mechanism- cant remember, but answered DENIAL, REPRESSION AND PASSIVE AGGRESSION

7. on dementia- ?<82 %, >82 %, others

8. PTSD risk factor- OCD TRAITS, alcohol drinikning, ?something external locus

9. cognitive impairment test in schizophrenia- ?options

10. ?alexithymia

11. options of a question- agitation or akathesia

12. ocd- NEGATIVE REINFORCEMENT

please comment...thanks

1 person likes this

Year of ECT 1930s

William Tuke. Humanitarian

Drug to avoid in fluvoxamine I think is theophyline

Psychological mechanism of OCD is positive reinforcement

It is Negative reinforcement...... For sure

Year of ECT 1930s

William Tuke. Humanitarian

Drug to avoid in fluvoxamine I think is theophyline

Hi....

Just to ask was salbutamol an option as well??? I remember choosing Sulbutamol but have no recollection....

More ?s plz badly trying to remember butvyet at the same time ppl have posted less emi's and more Mcqs

But still amazingly there r way much more ppl participating than last exam

Was theophylline even an option for the fluvoxamine question? I swear it wasn't there...I was looking for it- as this is a common SPMM question, but it wasn't there..that's hwy this question sucked a lil bit!

Psychological mechanism of OCD is positive reinforcement

It is Negative reinforcement...... For sure

I put negative too

5 year old girl loved to help her mother in kitchen. She was scared of going near the cooker after she burnt her hand.

Positive reinforcement, negative reinforcement, extinction, classic conditioning, operant conditioning. There was no punishment in the options. What did you guys answer for this question and what is the right answer please...

1 person likes this

There was question on how many half life does it take for a medication to be eliminated from the body

1. 5 half lives, 7, 10 etc etc....5

A patient can hear her own thoughts audible....gedankenlautwerden

A patient can see people coming in from a wall.....AUTOCHTHONOUS

Clozapine induced agranulocytosis in first year after starting it....1%

1%, 5%,20%, 24% etc

Thank you for the answers, it really helps when someone reassures you with right answers. Thank you...

Following can influence stroop test

1. In attention bias.....RIGHT

2. Hawthorne effect

Don't remember other choices sorry

Question about a boy who wants to avoid being bullied at school, pretends to be a super man. Defence mechanism involved in this is

Projection, denial, intellectualisation, there was no reaction formation. I marked it as projection as I some how felt the boy is trying to show narcissistic defence mechanism. What did you guys mark?

1 person likes this

hi,

few questions-

1. NMS- INCONTINENCE, constipation, leucocytopenia, etc I thought it was incontinence

2. Long half life- ?NITRAZEPAM, temazepam, etc . Nitrazepam

3. a man has first episode of schizophrenia in his 20s, asked risk of relapse...

50% in 3 years, 5 yrs, 8 yrs, etc....?no clue answer

4. neuroasthenia classify in- OTHER NEUROTIC DISORDERS, somatoform, etc other neurotic disorders

5. depression with ptosis- MY GRAVIS, sarcoidosi, etc MG

6. EMI on defence mechanism- cant remember, but answered DENIAL, REPRESSION AND PASSIVE AGGRESSION

7. on dementia- ?<82 %, >82 %, others

8. PTSD risk factor- OCD TRAITS, alcohol drinikning, ?something external locus - I thought alcohol abuse, because people with poor coping statergies are at risk. Not sure.

9. cognitive impairment test in schizophrenia- ?options

10. ?alexithymia- question was patient unable to express her mood. Answer is alexithymia.

11. options of a question- agitation or akathesia - I think answer was agitation, as they clearly mentioned the patient did not complain of inner restlessness.

12. ocd- NEGATIVE REINFORCEMENT- negative reinforcement for sure.

please comment...thanks

5 year old girl loved to help her mother in kitchen. She was scared of going near the cooker after she burnt her hand.

Positive reinforcement, negative reinforcement, extinction, classic conditioning, operant conditioning. There was no punishment in the options. What did you guys answer for this question and what is the right answer please...

It is classical conditioning. Classical conditioning is related to autonomic fear responses.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0