Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ryukenden

Can you share some styles of intro and summaries for CASC stations?

17 posts in this topic

I wonder you, guys who had passed CASC can share how you start intros and how you use last mintue for summary. I believe I am weak in the intros and summaries which are perceived by many as really important.

I appreciate if you could provide examples.

Many thanks

I guess ill take a shot at it

Well I would start any station with.....

"Hello, my name is Dr. XYZ (surname) and I am one of the doctors working here/insert the name of the place if it’s A&E or CMHT etc etc”

"I am here today to talk to you about so and so...depending on the scenario" - now having said that this part can be variable, e.g. if you are seeing someone who is distressed or anxious/worried...you can start of with...

"I can see that you are quite worried/stressed etc and you would most probably prefer not to talk to anyone but I was still hoping that you would talk to me about whatever it is that has been bothering you to see if I can be of any help in anyway"

Next add the appropriate subject here depending on the station.

in the last one minute, I would always advice to summarize, for a few reasons, one- to show you have heard and taken on board what they had to say, two- that you acknowledge their distress, three- so that you can instill some hope, four- and this is for the fake exam scenario, to show to the examiner what you have done so far in case he/she has not being paying attention during the station.

Summary should be full of empathy and reflection.

e.g.

I appreciate you taking the time out to talk to me about your issue/s. but let me summarize in the hope that we have not missed anything important and if there is anything else that you might want to add to the information that you have already given me.

(Now go through a short summary of the history that you have collected) and wrap it up by.....

I’m glad you have disclosed these to me, and let me assure you that together we will be able to find a solution to the problem. I will also provide you with some leaflets/information about the services locally that might be beneficial to you at this moment in time. I will arrange another appointment with you (again this depends on the scenario) in case you might have further questions about any part of our plan or if you have anything else that you wanted to add to the history. I hope I have addressed some of your worries/concerns today.

Thank you once again.

having said this, DO NOT under any circumstances try and memorize these for exam purposes, because under stress you might have trouble remebering the sequence or the words. Instead practice this in your day to day working. Use this (if you think its useful) in your study practice sessions.

Hope this helps in some way

:)

Edited by Insane in da Brain
2 people like this

you are welcome guys.....but how come no one else is taking a shot at this???? common old timers....wake the f up :P

casc was my fav. Im practicing with a few CT3z this afternoon but will deffo let you know what I did by the end of today. Im not very intelligent...rather borderline normal but my way of doing it almost got me all the stations so could let you know what I did

1 person likes this

and i can testify to that :D

Il leave the knowledge bit to you guys as Im sure it must be fresh in your Thobrazz (heads)

For me the important parts at the start and the finish. reflection plays a big role as well as that just shows that you are picking up on the info given to you. Just nodding the head wont suffice. There is no such thing as too much empathy.

Common terms used:

1. I can clearly see that-----------
  2. I can only imagine how difficult it must have been for you-----
  3. I need to ask you a few questions that you might not find very relevant to your case but these are questions I would ask everyone I assess.
  4. So what you are telling me here is that----------
  5. I do apologise if Ive offended you in any way (For a patient that blows a fuse) but that was not my intention. I am just trying to understand your experiences the best way I can.
  6. I have been given some information by (Whoever referred him/her) but I would really like to hear your side of the story as your experience is whats really important here.
  7. I am so sorry to hear that you have been going through such a difficult time.
  8. I am aware that answering all my questions must be very exhausting but I would like to thank you for your cooperation and would like to remind you of how well youve handled this interview so far.
  9. Would it be possible for you to tell me a little bit more about this please.

Il post my standard opening and closing statements later today. I used this format for all my stations but just changed them a little bit , depending on the scenario. Hope this helps

3 people like this

for introduction

hello i m dr ..... i m a psychiatrist working with the mental health team i understand that u ..........".ac.cording scenario"ve been referred from ur gp because u r facing some difficulties lately can u tell me more about it?

thank u for talking with me today from what u said i understand that u r suffering from ................. i think we may need to arrange for another appointement so we can discuss what we gone do about

Il leave the knowledge bit to you guys as Im sure it must be fresh in your Thobrazz (heads)

For me the important parts at the start and the finish. reflection plays a big role as well as that just shows that you are picking up on the info given to you. Just nodding the head wont suffice. There is no such thing as too much empathy.

Common terms used:

1. I can clearly see that-----------

2. I can only imagine how difficult it must have been for you-----

3. I need to ask you a few questions that you might not find very relevant to your case but these are questions I would ask everyone I assess.

4. So what you are telling me here is that----------

5. I do apologise if Ive offended you in any way (For a patient that blows a fuse) but that was not my intention. I am just trying to understand your experiences the best way I can.

6. I have been given some information by (Whoever referred him/her) but I would really like to hear your side of the story as your experience is whats really important here.

7. I am so sorry to hear that you have been going through such a difficult time.

8. I am aware that answering all my questions must be very exhausting but I would like to thank you for your cooperation and would like to remind you of how well youve handled this interview so far.

9. Would it be possible for you to tell me a little bit more about this please.

Il post my standard opening and closing statements later today. I used this format for all my stations but just changed them a little bit , depending on the scenario. Hope this helps

Thank you peechoo.

for introduction

hello i m dr ..... i m a psychiatrist working with the mental health team i understand that u ..........".ac.cording scenario"ve been referred from ur gp because u r facing some difficulties lately can u tell me more about it?

thank u for talking with me today from what u said i understand that u r suffering from ................. i think we may need to arrange for another appointement so we can discuss what we gone do about

Thank you, drkoukou. Are we supposed to mention the diagnosis to the end?

No worries Ryukenden. Just remember one thing......DONT DO MENTAL CHECK LISTS. It comes across as very rehersed and unreal. You have the knowledge and just go with the flow. There will be times where ul be interrupted and taken off track.If ure check listing then ul feel lost. Give a diagnosis if they ask for it....there is a way of giving one anyway...like:

From the information you have given me it seems that you might be suffering from a consition called"-----" . In most cases it can be difficult to reach a definite diagnosis in one meeting but I would like to see you again if possible and would like to get some collateral information from others that know you better and if you would allow it.

1 person likes this

No worries Ryukenden. Just remember one thing......DONT DO MENTAL CHECK LISTS. It comes across as very rehersed and unreal. You have the knowledge and just go with the flow. There will be times where ul be interrupted and taken off track.If ure check listing then ul feel lost. Give a diagnosis if they ask for it....there is a way of giving one anyway...like:

From the information you have given me it seems that you might be suffering from a consition called"-----" . In most cases it can be difficult to reach a definite diagnosis in one meeting but I would like to see you again if possible and would like to get some collateral information from others that know you better and if you would allow it.

Many thanks, peechoo for the suggestions. Do you shake hands to the patient and examiner at the start and the end?

do not shake hands with the examiner.The only interaction you will have with the examiner is when you show him/her you id badge and thats it. As for the patient......I dont think you will lose any points for not shaking hands but could find yourself in an uncomfy position if you try to shake hands with a PD, Floridly psychotic man or a hypomanic woman etc. I did shake hands with relatives and people I felt would not mind shaking hands.It has to be your individual decision

do not shake hands with the examiner.The only interaction you will have with the examiner is when you show him/her you id badge and thats it. As for the patient......I dont think you will lose any points for not shaking hands but could find yourself in an uncomfy position if you try to shake hands with a PD, Floridly psychotic man or a hypomanic woman etc. I did shake hands with relatives and people I felt would not mind shaking hands.It has to be your individual decision

Thanks for your advice.

I was about to start a thread on this but came across this.

Thanks to the oldies.

I like ur name

I guess ill take a shot at it Well I would start any station with....."Hello, my name is Dr. XYZ (surname) and I am one of the doctors working here/insert the name of the place if it’s A&E or CMHT etc etc”"I am here today to talk to you about so and so...depending on the scenario" - now having said that this part can be variable, e.g. if you are seeing someone who is distressed or anxious/worried...you can start of with..."I can see that you are quite worried/stressed etc and you would most probably prefer not to talk to anyone but I was still hoping that you would talk to me about whatever it is that has been bothering you to see if I can be of any help in anyway"Next add the appropriate subject here depending on the station. in the last one minute, I would always advice to summarize, for a few reasons, one- to show you have heard and taken on board what they had to say, two- that you acknowledge their distress, three- so that you can instill some hope, four- and this is for the fake exam scenario, to show to the examiner what you have done so far in case he/she has not being paying attention during the station. Summary should be full of empathy and reflection. e.g.I appreciate you taking the time out to talk to me about your issue/s. but let me summarize in the hope that we have not missed anything important and if there is anything else that you might want to add to the information that you have already given me.(Now go through a short summary of the history that you have collected) and wrap it up by.....I’m glad you have disclosed these to me, and let me assure you that together we will be able to find a solution to the problem. I will also provide you with some leaflets/information about the services locally that might be beneficial to you at this moment in time. I will arrange another appointment with you (again this depends on the scenario) in case you might have further questions about any part of our plan or if you have anything else that you wanted to add to the history. I hope I have addressed some of your worries/concerns today. Thank you once again. having said this, DO NOT under any circumstances try and memorize these for exam purposes, because under stress you might have trouble remebering the sequence or the words. Instead practice this in your day to day working. Use this (if you think its useful) in your study practice sessions.Hope this helps in some way :)