Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kreely

Aussie Open 2013

12 posts in this topic

We are already in the 2nd week of the tourney and the usual suspects are already in the quarters. No big upsets yet except for Del Poltro in the 3rd round.

For once I miss Nadal. ....will like to see him back soon, he adds good competition and any one that beats him knows they've gone through hell.

So, is Murray here to stay and win back to back slams? Or will Fed prove yet again the king never dies? Or is it 3rd in a row for Novak?

In the women draw....can anyone see past Serena? .....maybe Sag studying her tight skimpy dresses.

Sharapova seems to be in great form, but normally she comes short against Serena. Novak stretched to the limits today by Stan Wawrinka. He is still the favourite along with Federer and Murray

i havent really been following the tennis to be fair.. not got much time on my hands... apart from Sharapova, i thought Azarenka was doing well too.. Serena seemed a bit sluggish initially but she usually comes up trumps on the main matches later on..

with the men it is the usual suspects.. i'll probably start watching from the quarters.. i reckon Murray is in good nick to grab this title too.. unless Novak or the Fed pile on the pressure.

Well, well, both Serena and Sharapova dumped out, and it is Na Li against Azarenka. Li has looks very good and should be the favourite. The men's has been predictable. Djokovic against Murray. Novak is the favourite, but my respect for Murray has gone up. He now consistently reaches the later stages of the grand slams.

I agree, Novak is favorite for the title and I can't see him slip up.. Yes Murray has shown consistency but is it any coincidence that Nadal hasn't been around? If he takes this title then he'll prove he's no fluke.

Serena loss was a shock but she was injured. Its now Azarenka's to lose....unless Na plays like she did against sharapova.

blown away by Djokovic's performance in the last two sets..

for the first two, the match looked evenly poised.. but from the third onwards, Djokovic looked several miles ahead in his game and fitness compared to Murray..

Murray played well and i think he is a very very good player... and deserves his due credit.. however, i did not like it when the BBC panel pointed out a stray feather in the tie breaker of 2nd set was perhaps the cause of Murray losing his concentration which led to his defeat !

Djoker is simply too good at the moment. Nothing seems to daunt him. With him, the match is not won, till it is won- he can comeback at anytime and is never really out of any match. He showed it today, by hanging in there when the going was tough in the first 2 sets. I thought Murray played very well in the first 2 sets, but after that it was all Novak and Murray didn't know what hit him. Even I agree that Murray is an excellent player, but there is no need for the BBC to come up with excuses for his defeat, when he himself doesn't give any. Somehow the British media want to talk about him in the same breath as Novak, Federer and Nadal, but the other three have 34 grand slams between them and Murray has 1, so it would be best if they call him as the 4th best player of this era and be happy with that, as that is no mean achievement in itself

If Murray could have taken the game in 2nd set at 0-40 with 3 break points, it might be a different outcome. May be he relaxed his mind a bit and it was a lesson for him. He could have put more effort into each breaking point to take that game away.

If Murray could have taken the game in 2nd set at 0-40 with 3 break points, it might be a different outcome.

But that's exactly what tennis is all about. Making the most of break points, not squandering them. Break points come and go, it is how well you play those points and how mentally strong one is at those crucial stages is what matters and Novak did that remarkably well today as he has done for the last 2 years. Besides that 0-40 happened in the first game of the 2nd set- who is to say that Djoker would not have broken back- he has done that too many times in the recent past.

Edited by sands73

If Murray could have taken the game in 2nd set at 0-40 with 3 break points, it might be a different outcome.

But that's exactly what tennis is all about. Making the most of break points, not squandering them. Break points come and go, it is how well you play those points and how mentally strong one is at those crucial stages is what matters and Novak did that remarkably well today as he has done for the last 2 years. Besides that 0-40 happened in the first game of the 2nd set- who is to say that Djoker would not have broken back- he has done that too many times in the recent past.

Yes but if Murray was able to take one of those break points, that would give him a decent advantage and more than likely that it might boast his mental strength to finish the 2nd set off. If 2 sets to nil over Djokovc, he got an upper hand. But like in any sports, anything can happen even if he is up 2-0. Djokovic appears to have better stamina than Murray.

what i'd like to add to that is that champions create their opportunities... their confidence and mental strength is present even when they are on the backfoot.. that is what separates the true greats from the also-rans..

Murray just couldnt match Djokovic today, especially in the last 2 sets. The match wasnt really a spectacle and only provided 1 or 2 brilliant moments. Murray played well but you always knew Djokovic could move up a higher gear at any time......his mental strenght is unbelievable.

I cant believe he's already won 6 slams, really remarkable especially as we were wondering just 3 years ago if he would ever fulfil his true potential. Infact, he's won 5 of the 9 slam titles...unbelievable.