Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
singin' in the rain

STIGMA and CASC

2 posts in this topic

I can not remember even one single real patient or angry real relative have refused to shake hands with me or not to have a seat or keep insulting us like the famous Judo coach.

Thankfully ,and in contrast to royal college examination unit views, my patients and their families are so nice and even if they have a problem with the service they do not behave like casc actors.

Difficult communication and angry clients are not exclusive to psychiatry medicine,but royal college of psychiatry has an opposite view by getting at least 4 tasks of diificult communication and dedicating

30%-40% of each other task to communication skills.

I think this attitude increases in an indirect way the stigma of psychiatric disorders,and to great extent is the key word of how to hunt your candidates and how to make failing in the casc for those who passed 3 tough written papers is the common endpathway and of course to get extra 600.000 UK POUNDS.

Testing candidate's tolerance in hard day especially for repeaters with such actors is not the best way,

I do believe that royal college has to be more clear about this exam objectives and passing criteria,because depending on subjective evaluation of 12 out of 16 examiners is not the best way in

the 21st century.

AND PLEASE TRY TO FIND ANOTHER MORE HUMANIST STADIUM IN LONDON,

no need to play in DON VALLEY anymore.

3 people like this

I agree to what you say. Im not even sure about the way the exam is conducted. Psychiatry is based on communication skills, why cant they visit our wards in real life and judge us in different situations over 3 years period rather than 7 mins each. I have been conducting CPAs since ST1 and never had any problem. When it comes to CASC they make life difficult by 7 - 10 mins stations where u have to rush about eveyrthing. Although in real life it takes hours to establish a rapport with the pt and sometimes years towards taking history to establish a diagnosis as most of the diagnosis arent straight forward in real life.

Anyways I wish good luck to everyone.

3 people like this