Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
apple2009

british passport

26 posts in this topic

Hello

I finihsed 1 year of ILR..

i am due to apply for british passport..

can someone share your experince of getting new british passport...

how long did it take it for you to get the passport?

thanks

You have to apply for citizenship 1st...and then passport.

Like Kreely said. You have to apply for citizenship first. Book an appointment for the whole oath taking ceremony and then apply for a passport. The passport form is submitted at the post office and you would need someone else with a british passport to sign it and by someone youve known for 5 years.

Hi apple 2009,

You need to apply to HO again after 1 year of ILR and once your application is approved for Citizenship then contact Local Council for attending ceremony.Approval can take upto few Months really.

I would suggest to ocntact your Local Town/city Council and they can guide you further and can even check relevant documents including AN form for you(they charge some fee for it).

Edited by KS2

I was wondering what advantages one would have with british passport/citizenship compared with PR. Of course i know about travelling abroad to some countires need no visa with british passport.

any other advantages?

1 person likes this

Thanks Sure. Me too would like to hear.

I can think of 2 advantages. One, of course is visa free travel to loads of countries. The other is, just in case you want to test your waters in other parts of the world, you can come back to Britain anytime, whereas your ILR will expire 2 years after you leave the country. Having said that I am still on ILR, 3 years after being eligible for citizenship, and it has served me fine.

You get to vote too. Some may not see that as much of an advantage, but I've always taken the view that if you don't vote, even though entitled to, you have no right to complain about the governments actions.

I believe it is possible for ILR to be revoked, wheras it is much harder/impossible to revoke someones citizenship.

If one is from the Commonwealth, they can vote whether they are British citizens or not- all they need is the right to reside in the UK

1 person likes this

One might get better rates for loans, mortgatges etc with a BP. Although most advisors will say that an ILR is good enough, when I actually went for the better deals, turns out that was not the case.

The visa rules changed many times over the past few years. Permit Free Training could not be recognised towards ILR, HSMP rules changed...who's to say that ILR terms and conditions will prevail?

And isn't there an open recruitment system based on minimum competencies, and isn't there a clause about preference to british, and eu citizens before considering other nationalities for employment?

Edited by Psychoanalytix

thank you for your reply..i completed 1 yr of ILR...can some one share their experience of what to do next to apply for citizenship?

thanks

Check the UKBA website

Check the UKBA website

amazing reply.

there is a saying in one of the indian langauges "after hearing entire Ramayan story,a person asks at the end it seems how Rama and Sita are related to eachother?"

after so many replies Mr Apple2009 is asking same question again.

hehehe

If you are asking for the sake of time, allow yourselves plenty of it.

First step is the Citizenship test if you have not already done it. Next as suggested have a good look at the UKBA website to get up to date information. Once you have everything in hand you can choose to use the 'Nationality checking service' which is provided in many councils. They will charge a fee but the advantage is you won't have send your original passport with the application.

It can take anywhere between 2-6 months to get a letter approving your citizenship. Most people tend to get it by 4 months. The letter instructs you to call your local council to arrange for ceremony. Public ceremonies are free but takes place once every 2-3 months in most councils. Private ceremony costs about 90£. the date of ceremony is the date you become british citizen.

The next step is to apply for the british passport. Forms available in all post offices. Send the required documents( mainly citizenship certificate) . They will send a letter for interview within 2-3 weeks. Once interview done passport arrives within a week.

As already mentioned for the initial application and passport you will need a referee who is a british citizen ( i think they should have known you personally for 2 years not 5 as mentioned in above posts)

All the best!

1 person likes this

for me the whole process took jst about 4 months from application to receiving passport... 5th October to 5th February.. could have got it sooner if it wasnt for the Passport ID checking service who had entered my d.o.b incorrectly on their system.. also i was out of the country for a few days when they sent a letter confirming grant of citizenship and asking me to make an appointment for the oath taking ceremony...

as long as your papers are in order it is not much of a problem.. and i will definitely recommend the NCS facilities.. they charge about 40 pounds.. but it is totally worth it.. esp when u want to hang on to your original documents..

1. I think which langauage and know it is in KANNADA as I am a kannadiga myself

not to be outdone.. there is one in Marathi too !!! ;)

If you are asking for the sake of time, allow yourselves plenty of it.

First step is the Citizenship test if you have not already done it. Next as suggested have a good look at the UKBA website to get up to date information. Once you have everything in hand you can choose to use the 'Nationality checking service' which is provided in many councils. They will charge a fee but the advantage is you won't have send your original passport with the application.

It can take anywhere between 2-6 months to get a letter approving your citizenship. Most people tend to get it by 4 months. The letter instructs you to call your local council to arrange for ceremony. Public ceremonies are free but takes place once every 2-3 months in most councils. Private ceremony costs about 90£. the date of ceremony is the date you become british citizen.

The next step is to apply for the british passport. Forms available in all post offices. Send the required documents( mainly citizenship certificate) . They will send a letter for interview within 2-3 weeks. Once interview done passport arrives within a week.

As already mentioned for the initial application and passport you will need a referee who is a british citizen ( i think they should have known you personally for 2 years not 5 as mentioned in above posts)

All the best!

@ Balmu - thank you very much for explaining clearly ..much appreciated ....

I had done life in the uk test for my ILR.

Applied for Naturalization on 14.02 and got the paper through the post on 14.03. Citizen ceremony is in a month time.

What advantage has a british passport over an ILR visa?

No more visas, means freedom of travel, less cost for stupid visa stamps

Thanks Cage, other than the comfort of travel once which is not an everyday thing, I wonder if there was any advantage.

Thanks Cage, other than the comfort of travel once which is not an everyday thing, I wonder if there was any advantage.

I suppose in an unlikely event, if one commits a crime, which receives a 12 months sentence or over for, on ILR it is automatic deportation but not on passport!

The other thing is (for not commonwealth people) the right to vote and go on electoral register, which means massive difference in your credit scoring and better offers for mortgage, loans and credit cards.

With ILR, you are not recognised as a Citizen, only a resident. So, if you travel abroad and need help, you can rely on the british embassy or foreign office to come to your aid. For exapmles, when they were evacuating people from Libya, only british citizens were evacuated 1st, although they eventually evacuated legal uk residents as well later.

But ultimately, we've all lived long in this country to know that rules change all the time. Remember how many visas have been scrapped in the past? What's to stop a future govt scrapping ILR?