Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tee-Tee

BASIC PAY FOR SPECIALTY DOCTOR POST

11 posts in this topic

I have completed three and a half years of core training and now going to a specialty doctor post for the mean time to complete exams. can anyone tell me what my basic pay should be ?

i have also done FY2 for one year.

Prior to this, i had worked for couple of years before coming to the UK but that experience was never taken into account so i have basically being rated from FY2 upwards.

thanks for your help and advice

depends on supply and demand concept.

if there are too many people showing interest in same job then you will be paid starting point which is around 36,000

if you are only one to apply you can negotiate upto 40-45 easily,if you are lucky even 50.

if the Trust is fair they shud put you directly on 40 with no fuss

Adding to Sures' reply

Apply for the job you are interested asusual, attend the interview and discuss salary only if asked in the interview.

If not, bring up salary through email to HR on offer of job.

Wait to hear from HR, definetly they will offer first point on the scale.

Reply stating your current take home, number of mouths to feed, mortgage to pay, hassles of relocation etc etc and gently remind the HR about your overall experience in psychiatry, irrespective of country and grade.

This is a process- exchange of emails, don't panic and accept whatever HR offers, stand your ground and make a subjective decision about what you would gain from the post/ what you would lose etc etc while then deciding on how much you want to compromise on salary.

Also keep an eye on agency locum market, register with few agencies the meanwhile, who will bring you work while the negotiation is ongoing.

The above process may take anywhere between 3-6months but never accept the offer in writing unless you are satisfied with the salary, if not, HR can threaten with GMC referral for not honouring the accepted offer!

Hope the above is useful, do keep us posted.

1 person likes this

Hi Tee tee

Do not agree to any gross salary less than £50,000. You need to stand your ground as Kris says. I completely agree with what he has said. Staff Grades are gold dust these days, so you will in all likelihood get at least £50,000. If not try the agency locum (Staff grade) jobs.

that is if the staff grade does any work in the first place. Mostly they r just skiving around

Hi Tee tee

your previous experience in ur home country will only count if you have proof of that experience from the hospitals you worked in stating your periods of employment.

if u applied to my current trust after what seems to be your four and half years of continuous experience in the NHS you will def. not be offered £50000. You will only get your basic pay. Your basic pay will either be the same as your last basic pay or the next point up, with no added banding as you will not be on call.

above all there is no harm negotiating but you can always consider an LAT or LAS post if you can still bear the thought of doing night and weekend shifts.ughhhhh!!!!!or better still, as highlighted previously,going the locum staff grade route.

all the best

Edited by soeva

that is if the staff grade does any work in the first place. Mostly they r just skiving around

Very interesting view!!!

Could you please elaborate what you mean?

meaning My experience of most Staff grades is THEY DONT DO MUCH PRODUCTIVE WORK.PERIOD.

Thank you all for the advice. I am trying to sort this out with negotiations as you have all stated.Problem is i have started work but have not signed any offer paper as it is a Trust i know. they told me to start and that they will negotiate. what do you guys thinks?

Well, I am afraid to say you are taken for a ride!!!!

Tee Tee can you please advice about what's been the outcome of your salary since you last posted here.