Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Wildtouch4

Careers advice

4 posts in this topic

Hi

I'm a CT1 and feel unable to discuss this matter with my colleagues as I find that the general attitude amongst psychiatry trainees is anything less than being a consultant is considered a failure.

I love psychiatry but I'm unsure about all the exams and relocating every few years etc. I'm also not particularly a type A personality and I'm I'd like a life outside of my work. I'm not particularly motivated by money or status either, I'd happily take half a consultants salary for a 9-5pm mon-fri job.

So I was thinking of being a locum or staff grade in the future. My question is at what stage can a trainee drop out and apply for a staff grade post? I heard a colleague mention this was possible even after CT2, is this correct?

PS I'm posting in here not the staff grade section as the last post in that forum was in 2010!

There is a requirement of minimum 3 years as SHO experience to apply for staff grade post. However, there can always be exceptions depending on demand and supply.

My advise would be to complete basic training as SHO. Your career can then go in any direction depending on your success in exams, CPD etc etc and all importantly what you want in life.

I would always advise to get your MRCPsych if at all possible, but there are opportunities in the private sector to think of as well. Depending on where you are located they may welcome an application if you've got a couple of years experience/training. Salaries are better initally but with much less in terms of progression, you are looking at £65,000 being the going rate, but not too many people on over £70,000. Some hospitals have an on-call rota, some do not, some are resident, most are non-resident.

The issue with locumming is that you may have to travel more than you would like (there are always exceptions, but most locums end up away from home) However if as you say your needs/wants are simple, you could quite easily work for only 6-8 months/year and take time off as the pay is so much better than substantive posts.

One thing to remember is with regards to on-call payments when/if you move to a substantive NHS Staff Grade post. At the moment you would get between a 20-40% uplift/banding for on-calls, as a substantive Staff Grade you would be looking at 1-5%. It is entirely possible to have an effective pay cut on moving to a Staff Grade post.