Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Wildtouch4

Advice on becoming an SAS

4 posts in this topic

Hi

I like that I can be completely honest anonymously here. The general attitude amongst my colleagues is that everyone should aim to be a consultant and anything less is bad. However...

I'm a CT1, I love psychiatry but I'm not particularly interested in the status, big bucks or killing myself over exams and having a ton of outside of work responsibilities ie a consultant. So I was thinking of becoming a staff grade. Is it possible to be an SAS and have a nice 9-5 Monday to Friday job on a reasonable salary with no on calls? Or do you end up being a dogsbody with the same responsibilities and workload of a consultant but half the pay?

Thanks

Is it possible to be an SAS and have a nice 9-5 Monday to Friday job on a reasonable salary with no on calls?

It is possible to have a nice 9 -5 day. Salary - that is individual choice but with the extra time make something extra if not satisfied with the salary.

Or do you end up being a dogsbody with the same responsibilities and workload of a consultant but half the pay?

These days SAS doctors cannot be anybody's dog. You have a clear job plan and stand up to your rights!! But if you allow yourself to be used and misused then you sure will be a donkey!!

Thanks

1 person likes this

I do agree with euthymic. Because of the job plan, you are the only one who will allow being made a dogsbody to happen. You stick to your job plan and demand what is duely yours. Pay is negotiable depending on your skills and demand, reasonable pay depends on your lifestyle!

Hi Guest_Wildtouch4

I have worked as Speciality Dr in community paediatrics for 7 years and I have to say I loved the job and the freedom! But be careful where and the field you choose; I choose a remote part ( as main land people say but its not!!) of Scotland and over the years developed the service hugely and the work was much appreciated and valued by non-dr community colleagues. But I have seen similar colleagues in a city near by had less freedom and more of  consultant lead service.

Of course if you want to lead a non-stressful 9-5 job certainly you can do. I feel the SD post is all depends on what you want out of your job, job satisfaction and your interests. 

But downside is sometimes you were made 'aware' of under-grade sadly mostly by hospital doctors and especially senior drs. You also feel your voice is 'not loud enough' to be heard if you want make changes in service or management level. 

Sometimes it depends on your speciality, department and your CD/HOD. 

Good Luck!