Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gurpal

THE MRCPsych EXAMS - A SURVEY OF EXAM CANDIDATES

10 posts in this topic

THE MRCPsych EXAMS - A SURVEY OF EXAM CANDIDATES

November 2003

Dear All,

Now that the MRCPsych exams are over for another few months, I think it is the right time to survey all the Superego Café Forum members on their views and suggestions. The plan over the next few days is to contact all the members by email to request their participation. That's over 1300 people!

There is a survey for both parts of the exam. You only need to complete the survey if you sat an exam this year. The survey is anonymous but you can only complete the survey once.

There are questions on the following topics:

1 textbooks you found useful

2 journals you found useful

3 revision courses you attended

4 websites you found helpful

5 revision techniques you used

6 your views on the written paper(s)

7 your views on the osce or pmps/long case [optional]

8 your views on feedback reports [optional]

9 your suggestions for improving the exams [optional]

10 your questions to the Chief Examiner [optional]

As you can see, the survey has questions on a wide range of topics which should take 10-15 minutes to answer. Hopefully there'll be lots of replies. The results will be forwarded to the Royal College.

Please complete the survey. You can find it at this link:

http://www.superego-cafe.com/survey/

The closing date is 14 December 2003.

If you know anyone else who is not a Forum member but has sat an exam, please forward them the link.

Kind regards,

Gurpal

thanks Gurpal for a phenomenal work you have been through over these months and now the survey i have already completed it if i may be of any help i am willing to offer any assistance

you have singlehandedly collected the group of doctors(most difficult buch to be in a forum) and created a very positve vibes and experience in being in the group and we are mutually benefitting from the cafe' I think the college should be ashamed that they have not even done 1% of your effort in getting out views heard about all these

GUYS AND GALS THREE CHEERS TO GURPAL AND MAY YOUR SERVICE CONTINUE AND WE WILL BE BEHIND YOU IN ALL YOUR ENDEAVOURS

santhana

I've already filled the survey but forgot to suggest that people who pass the written shouldn't have to go through it again if they fail the clinical and they should be given a number of opportunities (at least 3 times) to sit the clinical only. Afterall this is what happens in other specialties.

Also, perhaps people should be allowed to get on the SpR rotation if they've done their SHO training and are competent and haven't got their exams yet. Again, in other specialties candidates can sit their final exams whilst doing the SpR training. That could be a way forward for trainees to remain in training posts rather than go to non career grades.

when will we know the results of this poll. also, will u gurpal b forwading ur findings to the royal college or maybe publishing it in the bulletin .

Hi,

The survey is open until mid-December. I've got over 100 replies in the first 2 days, which is great.

My plan is to publish the findings in the Psychiatric Bulletin and to ask the Chief Examiner to add a commentary commenting on the results and answering the top ten questions/themes asked in the last part of the survey. I did suggest to him I was going to do this survey when I bumped into him at the last RCPsych Annual meeting.

However, there's more data than can be incorporated into a paper, and so what I'll probably do is to put the raw data (if the form of graphs, tables, etc) on this website. However, I'm really busy so it's not going to happen straight away - I think you're looking mid-January at the earliest. However, I'm keen to a discussion going about the results. As far as I'm aware, there's never been so many exam candidates answering a survey like this.

Thanks for contributing to the survey.

I should add that all the suggestions and questions for the examiner will be sent to the College.

I've got over 150 replies so far, which is brilliant. If you know anyone who did the exam, please send them an email asking them to complete the survey too.

wonder how the college would feel about the results.but i dont think they would wanna do anything about it!!1bunch of snobs they r!! :-X

You never know :o

Anyway, if we don't do it, we can't really keep on whinging here can we? Let's wait and see.

Thanks Gurpal. Considering we are a profession of listeners the college do seem to deaf to our pleas at times. Hope this goes well. ;)

Dear Gurupal,

You are a star and a guardian Angel to all of us who are studying for the exams.

I failed in the Critical Appraisal but got good grades in the other components.I was short of time.If I had 10 minutes more I would have passed,not that I did not know!Its a shame that I will have to go over all the labour again and pay that exam fees and waste 6 months just for 10 minutes!!

Many of the candidates felt that the time was inadequate.It would be so helpful if I had to take just the Critical Appraisal paper again,like what would happen in the US.

Please represent this issue strongly to the RUTHLESS Royal College of Psychiatry.

Hasit