Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
KS2

Samsung Galaxy 4

7 posts in this topic

Samsung Galaxy 4 launched in NY ---

''A handset which allows users to control the screen using their eyes.''

Any views Folks?

read about the event.. and what Sammy is bringing to the S4.. more of an evolution over S3 than anything else.. the airtouch (or whatever they are calling it) and the eye movement based scrolling seem more gimmicky than a necessity..

the basic design of the handset has not changed and they instead went for a 5" size, which is the size of the original Note and a bit too large for many hands..

hardware specs are really good and it is probably the fastest of the Android phones at the moment.. however, HTC and the rumoured Droid X will soon be at its heels..

one thing that bothered me a bit was that Sammy didnt attach ANY importance to Android.. and it makes me wonder whether Samsung think that Android is not really essential to their existence and ambition for domination.. there are confirmed reports that Sammy is developing its own Tizen platform and might plan to distance itself from Android..

if i remember correctly, Sammy has got rid of some of the features that are part of the 2.2 Jellybean update and replaced it with its own customised software..

i dont know what their plan in the long term is but if they decide to ditch Android in the future and go totally indpedently, then i fear that they will soon be on the downhill slope...

one thing for certain is that my next phone will either be a pure Android Nexus device or Sonys Xperia Z..

waiting for Google's I/O conference in May/June to see what they announce.. my heart lies with Android.. not Samsung, although i use and like the S3 at the moment. HTC Sense is still the best interface for my needs..

by the time i compare different mobil phones available in the market and decide which one to buy they release newer version.

i feel my model is outdated now , i should have waited few more months and would have got latest version but again by the time i finish researching new model and buy new one another upgrade comes to market.

s4 didn't excite especially when compared to the note 2 or s3 release . the public announcement was also a snafu

if one were to go for an upgrade today, one would probably want a s4, simply because it's the latest. otherwise there isn't any strong compulsion to upgrade.

overall though, this is my view - if you want a gadget just for bragging rights, then read no far. if you think you are a gadget geek simply because you buy the latest, or your product has an 'i' at the start, then stop here.

else :

all innovations will come to a plateau stage. if you can recognize the plateau stage, then you can avoid being tempted by the next gadget release. most companies will launch at least one high end and two or three mid range products when they know that the plateau has been reached. in the meantime hopefully they will develop the next must have product... or launch a half baked product, hence hinting at better innovation in the future.

so what does that mean - lets see - for some time in 2011 i was posting re flat screen tv's = buy something that was launched one to two years ago - it will cost less, but you won't miss out on anything - hence the plateau stage. of course then came 'internet tv's' and 3d tvs, and i kept saying stay put, don't buy a 3d tv - hence the promise of better things in the future

.... while i would still like a glass-less 3d tv, i feel today's 3d tv's are worth buying and the same models should be worth buying two years hence.

going back to the half baked product launch analogy - there was a time when we had huge discussions about plasma vs lcd - this was the stage when lcd was making it's initial forays into the market.

i view the s4 launch as a launch where they are still trying to gain mileage off technology and harware that they have truly designed well... i think their innovation was still worth noting when they launched the note 2 - and it was very clever to have allowed s3 etc to have the relevant firmware upgrades. now they are trying to make money by this launch. there should follow a few cheaper phones with some or most of these upgrades....

if the rumours about wearable phones are right, then airview, infra red sensors etc may suddenly become very useful, and samsung will have tried these features even before launching a 'prebaked' product.alongg those lines, btw i also think of the original google phone as a prebaked product

i'm happy for samsung. i think they got their strategies right when it came to taking over the tv market, and also when it came to selling products to other companies.

they were never in my opinion the centre of attention for phones etc until the start of the galaxy series. so they are in my view still very young players in this field. i hope they don't lose it all over the next few years [htc are you listening? i was a fan of htc when i got the htc desire, but gave up on it pretty quickly - for reasons that continued to be noted by users of newer htc phones ].

in the meantime for me, my galaxy note is as much a future proof phone as i cared to have 1.5 years ago. unless i get 4g at ridiculously cheap prices, i think i can manage with this phone. but those that did not get onto the bandwagon in the last 2-3 years -- they may be looking for a galaxy now...

btw - this is a nice video post, giving a slightly alternative view on the s4 . i don't agree with all the comments, but like how he's presented his view

Edited by Psychoanalytix

speaking of gadget lust - using a note 2 atm - simply setting it up for a relative. and logic says i don't need it.... gadget lust makes me drool :P

good post PA..

especially considering that you took the time from your LEAVE (!!!) to enlighten us thus ;)

enjoy ur holiday man..