Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest santhana

Interview Skills of examiners!!!!!

9 posts in this topic

Hi

recently I happened to take the DPM exam in Ireland it is designed for pre PartII people and there is neurology and Psychiatry papers and viva. I will not say the syllubus and standard is not like our PartII (if we really know what partII syllubus is!!!) but it was a breath of fresh air to go for the exam and meet the examiners both nerology and Psychiatry.

1 They did not have straight faces very welcoming and pleasant

2 at the outset they made clear attwmpts to put you at ease including asking questions like 'you look cheerful today are you enjoying this exam and dublin? '

3 if we are struggling they prompted positively or went to different topic.

4 gave plenty of time to talk and express yourself rather than cutting u every 30 seconds

5 they actually felt good about the whole exercise which unconsciously was transmitted to us and we all felt at ease

As a trainee we spend several sessions on developing interview techniques and the lot and I think it would be nice if the examiners also practiced a bit of it.

I can understand that they may be as anxious as we are in the whole exercise but the bottom line is they are on the other side of the table.

I dont know whwther the college gives them practice or clear instruction on what are the acceptable non verbal communications(actually none!!!!!)

I would be intersted to get some feed back from examiners on this but i dont think i can so i though i will share it with my favourite super ego folks!!!!!

From my experience in Galway doing the part II on 21st Nov I was made to feel very uneasy in my PMPS .  

I feel that no matter how much  I practised ,nothing could prepare me for some  arrogant git   sitting on the other side of the table grinning at me and constantly interrupting me  . This really unnerved me and I was beginning to feel reaaaally bad but I managed to recover my composure and come back to life :lol:.I left  with the feeling that he derived pleasure watching me sweat .

The other examiner was different ,  I saw him at  the tiny Galway airport waiting for my flight back to London .  I felt really unconfortable and the only way to break the ice was to approach him cos the reverse was not going to happen  ::).  I asked him if he is allowed to talk to me and he replied ' no ,not really' but then wished me good luck .  I do think that they are given strict instructions by the college on what not to do , but as you say , I bet they dont get instruction on how to exaimne .

I personally dont know what perverse pleasure examiners get from doing this job , what qudos ( spelling ?) is associated with this 2 day stint .

I recently read a quotation that went something like this , ' it takes intelligence to learn but any idiot to examine '

:lol:

Ta Neopallium for a reply

I was beginning to wonder whether i am being harsh on them it makesme feel better!!!!!!(why?) i am not the only one who felt like that.

i cant not understand between colleagues you cant exchange plesantaries I thik this ordeal happens probBLY ONLY WITH DOCTORS.

if you think of nurses and other multi disciplinary people they dont create an iron curtain between their hierarchies.

will that same consultant who examined you behave like that to his SHO or spR?

Ok they need to be unbiased, but I dont think any exam rule in the world will sayto be unsympathetic or be a human being with emotions!!!!

hi friends

interesting comments of examiners being examined!

I have to admit my experience was different.My exam taking was made a pleasent experience.

I was lucky i should say!

May be a rare phenomenon when examiners smile and make u feel at home.

By the way I always brooded on the selection bias!rather application bias of these examiners?

Is it certain personality traits that rules who applies to become examiner?

I was told it is pain to be examiner-all that travelling,hours of attention,so some one with stable traits would like to stay away!alas!

Another point i noted is the way other candidtaes behaved.It was refreshing to have others who were not sinking their head into books,grim faced and brittle.My clleagues were cheerful[defence?]joking and talking about our own trsuts,staffgrade options,specialities etc!

it was fun1 ;)

hi

i was also there at dublin for dpm this november. it really strikes you, the difference between the attitude of the examiners.

in dublin, they asked name, where do i work and how is it working in my job. putting you at ease before starting to fire away the questions. they had smiling faces and encouraging attitude which put everybody at ease.

even the question were asked in a very pleasent manner. if struggled were prompted, an easy way to know whether you know or not. if cant answer even after prompting means dont have a clue so switch to different questions.

i felt thats a more sensible way of examining someones knowledge rather than making someone more nervous that he/she already is.

I guess I was also a bit lucky with my examiners, both for long case and PMP.

Infact my examiner in the long case seemed cheerful and in a jovial mood.He even told the patient when I brought him in for the interview that I was the one who was being examined in funny, lighthearted kind of way, which made things less stressful and significantly reduced my level of anxiety.Jolly good fellow :lol:

Although in the PMP the examiners had Parkinsonian features, they did'nt interrupt me or try to rush things up, and even offered me a glass of water when they realised i was quite anxious.

But i know of people who have had very bad experience after coming out of the exams with nightmares and PTSD like symptoms!! :o

One guy even refused to be examined by the examiner because of his previous experience with him.

I think it would be a good idea to give feedback to the examiners about our experience of the exam.There are a few perverse examiners who like to make the candidates sweat in the exam and take pleasure in failing them.Unless we report such examiners to the Royal College we will keep getting them.

Just a quick note to say that I've always been told (on revision courses etc) that 'hawk' examiners have a very similar pass rate to 'dove' examiners. Now obviously there's no need for anyone to be rude, but it is reassuring to know that an examiner overflowing with arrogance and continually interrupting is no more likely to fail you than the sweet examiner who smiles at everything you say !

Be seeing you

i was under the impression there is a course for the examiners. also i think that the reason why examiners are not allowed to know your name, where you work etc, is to try and keep things fair from one person to the next ie so people cant say an examiner was easier on someone else cos they trained at the same medical school or whatever.

i do not feel that the exam should be relaxed, but i do think the examiners should be polite and not interupt etc. however, bear in mindthe exam is very timepressured, there are things you have to cover to get marks and some interuptions will be to get you back onto a point-scoring track.