Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cage

Xbox One

59 posts in this topic

I thought a gaming device would have a few more curves but I guess it's what is on the inside that matters. The battle for the living room begins.

1 person likes this

Yes, it's a bit minimalistic design...

We'll have to wait for PS4 to see which one will win the battle of christmas shopping trolly!

what did you make of the announcement Cage ?

i remember you weren't very impressed with what Sony said in February..

more reports coming in - Kinect is mandatory... there will be an 'unlock' fee in order to play 2nd hand games.. high chance that the console will need to be online in order to do anything meaningful, and that includes ordering pizza.. 

and Sony's shares have gone up 8% immediately after this announcement.

Edited by SagirParkar

right.. watched the whole hour long reveal event last night.. and just like Sony, MS used a lot of business talk and hyped up rhetoric like 'revolutionise', 'integrate' etc etc.. and lot more of the same blah bigging themselves up..

neways, to the core nittygritties then - specs wise, no big surprise there.. months of 'leaks' had indicated towards what the innards were going to be like... we all knew that it was going to be an X86 based architecture and therefore no backwards compatibility innately.. 8GB of RAM had also been confirmed and it was more or less confirmed before the launch that it would be an AMD processor, more or less similar to the PS4..

tech wise, so far it is on par with the PS4, except that the PS4 has faster RAM - a GDDR5 vs Xbox's GDDR3... it shouldnt matter for cross platform games as devs work around the lowest denominator.. but for console exclusives, it does mean a big difference, not just in visual quality but also performance..

Controller - no new or major design changes.. i am not sure what they have done with the battery pack this time and whether the controller will still be wired or not if you dont have spare change for dozens of AA sized batteries.. feels more of an evolution rather than innovation.. thankfully, the D-pad appears to be better this time.

personally, i have never liked Xbox's controller as it feels clunky in my hands. i have small hands with fat fingers.

Box itself - plain, sleek, shiny... very minimalistic design.. reminds me of a VHS player we once had in the 80s.. and size wise looks about similar too.. i wonder if they tried to take insipiration from Apple on this one.

Games - No major exclusives shown off today. mention of Halo tv series.. meh...

Forza looks good.

CoD: Ghosts - meh... Activision really need to get that engine going... DICE had better graphics with Bad Company 2.. and with latest tweaks to Frostbite, they have lifted the bar..

my feeling is that they will show of the big exclusives at E3... so will have to wait..

dont likes - 1) always online requirement..

Edited by SagirParkar

back again..

so the dont likes for me -

1) the always online requirement..   Microsoft's own statement as follows -

"No, it does not have to be always connected, but Xbox One does require a connection to the Internet," Microsoft said

That sounds like it is going to be always online to function as intended...  the main implication being for games and other stuff that can be done offline.

2) Mandatory Kinect requirement

3) Having to pay MS a certain fee in order to play a used game. i dont see Samsonite charge me extra if i borrow a suitcase from my friend.. likewise for a DVD, or a chair, or umbrella, or bookshelf or a car.  If publishers want to do it, i just wont buy their games but surely MS, as a console manufacturer should not impose this on its customers.

4) continuing Xbox Live subscription fees.. i still dont see how people justify paying a subscription to MS just so they can play games online or watch Netflix or even do ANYTHING online...   a PC and PS3 do that without additional charges.

there are suggestions that sony might have something like this in place too but there is no official word yet.. and i hope Sony realises that their big trump card has been keeping online gaming free of additional charges.  they can do whatever they want with Gaikai, PS Plus subscriptions and other stuff, but i'd like to see basic online gameplay left as it is - FREE !

Kevin, from Gamespot has summed it up nicely..

http://uk.gamespot.com/features/the-xbox-one-reveal-60-minutes-of-silence-6408695/

there was an idiot reporter on Forbes this morning who said that MS have done the announcement very well and that showing off new iterations of NFL and FIFA games along with Call of Duty is much better than some Jonathan Blow showcasing an offbeat puzzler..

what this Forbes correspondent forgets is that as gamers we like varied experiences.. and offbeat puzzlers can often be better and more enriching gaming experiences than shiny reboots or yearly sequels... loved playing games like Journey and The Walking Dead.. and by TWD i mean the excellently done one by TellTale rather than the abomination that Activision belched out..

Official confirmation from Microsoft -

Xbox One does not need to be always online..

but..

hold it...

here it comes..

Xbox One requires an Internet connection and needs to check-in with the Xbox servers in order to continue functioning, Microsoft has clarified..

Microsoft executive Phil Harrison attempted to clarify the position. The Xbox One "requires, at some point in the beginning and at various times through its on state, to connect to our cloud and to our Internet. That is to deliver Xbox Live functionality, that is to deliver download content to you, that is to deliver some of the innovations around TV and entertainment that we showed today."

and apparently you have to do this at least once daily..  the measure still sucks although it is not as draconian as 'always-online'.. this reminds me of how EA stated that Sim City has to be always online so that a lot of calculations take place server side and gamers will get a 'smooth uninterrupted and enriching experience'... we all know how that ended up.

more info here..

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/xbox-one-games-will-need-to-check-in-online-possibly-once-a-day-6408714

Edited by SagirParkar

Flame wars!!!! yippeeeee!!

I am of course going to support htc one till the end.... by htc one I mean the xbox one of course.

Sorry, I could not follow the whole thing, so of course I had to rely on youtube for an update. Let me know if this clip leaves out anything worht noting..

On a serious note. The X1 is trying to keep up with the smart tv, google tv, apple tv market. we have always recommended ps3 to non gamers for it's straight out of the box media capabilities - blu ray player, optical sound output, dlna support etc etc. It's not wonder that more ps3 users use netflix as compared to any other gaming console, and perhaps also more than any tablet or phone. I think the x1 also does not see the point of investing in gaming, as - lets face it - most games do come up on each and every console. I think they are also sensible in trying to promote skype and unify their services and interface across platforms.

Whether their strategy will outlast the ps4, I don't know.

However, after all my criticism about not seeing a ps4 console , I will be surprised if the ps4 doesn't look more appealing ... I also feel that I am more likely to return to sony for the same reasons I preferred the ps3. As far as machine's go, it's looking mean. There will be enough for me in the non subscription model and it will be more variety for me - be that because of a greater scope for affrdable indie games, or because i will have a different os / interface to fiddle with.

So far, microsoft does not seem to have made much inroads into the app market for phones, I'm yet to see someone using a surface, I hope that the xbox keeps them in business..

Finally, criticism and fan adolation apart, I don't think there is a significant difference between the two consoles. it's goinf to be about individual preferences. And perhaps about who launches first!! Last time xbox had the advantage because of the earlier launch. This time it's anybody's guess

Edit: sagir you missed out the 'non replaceable hard drive' . Imagine what that means - given how we take it for granted that our 60 gb original / classic ps3 can be upgraded to a higher capacity hard drive within minutes...

Edited by Psychoanalytix

i have nothing against MS putting forth an all-in-one but if that is their sole focus, because of which they are implementing some unpopular measures such as always online connectivity and payment for 2nd hand games, then they will eventually fall... and badly at that too..

they forget that the the primary market for devices like Xbox and Playstation is the core gaming market.. casual gamers are not interested in shelling out 300-odd bucks for a console and then 40-odd per game just so they can stream and watch TV programms on their... hang on.... TV !!!

and if they do not make their device appealing to this gaming demographic, then they can kiss good bye to their chances of living room domination...

i see a reason behind MS pushing for Win 8 across mobile, tablet, PC and now a console... they want Windows (or MS software for that matter) to once again dominate and rule.. sadly, they do not account for change and any mighty empire will come to its knees..  if MS want to recapture the loyalty of consumers, then bullying, monopolising, restricting and taunting (read 'Scroogled' ads) is not the way to go about it.. that only breeds ill will and a negative sentiment...

the reason gamers are fiercely loyal and protective of companies like Valve is because of one sole reason - Valve understands gamers and their needs.... and doesnt do anything to annoy them.. yes they will delay a game for few years but they dont release sub-standard products or charge hefty fees for meaningless DLC

So far, Sony has made the right sounds, courted the right kind and variety of devs, showcased a good range of games, gave space on the stage to indie devs and have confidently said that the console does not need an internet connection to play offline games. Although, they said that THEY will not charge for used games, they have left the decision to the publishers... and something tells me we might end up seeing a similar unlock-fee on the PS4..  Likewise, my brother tells me that Sony is considering implementing a subscription model for online play, a la Xbox Live.. after all, if MS can make so much money out of gullible people, why should Sony lose out..  of course, it will hurt people like us but then we are just small fry.

Hi Sagir

Thanks for tips mate. 

I am disappointed that both Sony and MS have literally fucked up their business announcements and did not provide much  in terms of specs. 

It seems that Xbox One will run 3 operating systems? and will use various GPU and CPU power. The interface will be new. 

We would be able to run old games and we don't need to be always connected to internet (maybe every other day? so what's the point). I guess they are doing their best to tackle piracy issues. 

The only thing I was fascinated with was the accuracy and features of Kinect. I guess it will open up lots of potentials but wait... they are introducing Kinect for PC too so why bother and buy the Xbox?

All in all I may be interested to buy the Xbox One, just because I am on Mac and cannot play some of the favourite games. I don't care about accessing face book and twitter on Xbox, frankly I don't know who will...

the 20 something alfa male will access fb maybe?? although they say that teenagers are moving away from fb, and i wonder if it's cool for 20 somethings to highlight their nerd status ?? is it finally cool with the girls???

Maybe the market for gamers is going to get increasingly fragmented and Microsoft are going for a bigger market, in which case they won't mind annoying gamers.

It seems that Xbox One will run 3 operating systems? and will use various GPU and CPU power. The interface will be new. 

We would be able to run old games and we don't need to be always connected to internet (maybe every other day? so what's the point). I guess they are doing their best to tackle piracy issues. 

The only thing I was fascinated with was the accuracy and features of Kinect. I guess it will open up lots of potentials but wait... they are introducing Kinect for PC too so why bother and buy the Xbox?

Kinect is a brilliant interfacing device... after touch, gestures seems to be the next logical step in interacting with devices and Kinect is bang out there.. but it would make more sense to use it with PC applications (that includes Mac too, although i doubt if Apple will let MS do it for Macs) rather than try to impose it on a games machine..

in any case, i am waiting for E3 to see more of what each console can (and can not) do and what the fuss is.. to be fair, Sony did provide system specs at their reveal event.. and so far from what tech websites report, Sony's appears to be the better hardware.. graphical prowess and RAM is where Sony is ahead of MS...

but to me, games is what matters most - variety and quality of them....

WM >> 

you are right... with the increase in mobile gaming, many publishers are focusing on that end of the spectrum.. but they need to realise that you cannot have the same quality of games on a mobile device as compared to a PC or console experience... well, atleast not yet..  if AMD's roadmap is to be believed, they have a good line up of mobile SoCs lined up that use less power for better performance.. and it appears that Intel is trying to bare its muscles in this area too.. the future definitely looks good.. but then again, i'd rather sit on my couch with good surround sound and game on a big screen rather than play it on a 7" device..  matter of personal preference really..

anyways, back to fragmented markets... in that type of scenario, Sony still has the upper hand with smartphones, tablets, portable consoles (PSP and PSV) and the big console too.. if MS were a publisher i;d understand their stance.. but so far, MS have only shut down their studios, Ensemble, being prime example.. even studios like Bungie, who were Xbox exclusive at a time, are going cross platform now.  it definitely does appear that MS wants to leave games behind and go multi-media and challenge the likes of Apple and Google (and potentially Valve) to be preferred entertainment hub...

In any case. june 9th and 10th will provide us with more answers.

for anyone who missed or did not watch the MicroSoft reveal event, here is a little synopsis..

he has included almost all the important bits and statements.. he left out one where some suit on stage said "this is rocket science stuff" when talking about Kinect 2....  very patronising but i forgave his ignorance..

anyways, enjoy the video..

Edited by SagirParkar

umm sagir, how is this different from the video link posted higher up on the page???

Does that include the kinect ? It might be reasonable if it does include kinect and 2 controllers, or a decent sized hard disk. ps4 i beleive will have different models - based on different hard disk capacities, and so the more practical ps4 options would probably have a similar price scale. 

btw, I've looked at 4K capabilities. Apparently the ps4 games can be streamed at 4k, not sure about media playback. That said good projectors linke the x90 are supposed to be able to upscale videos...  

The sad thing is it may be priced at 500quid and above.

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2013/05/the-xbox-one-might-be-really-expensive/

i think that is 500 USD... i had earlier read that both consoles will be around 350-370 in the UK.. 

and yes PA, Kinect 2.0 is bundled with the X1.. but just one controller..  to dream of 2 controllers is being very optimistic

found this today... 

post-806-0-21432000-1370592773_thumb.jpg

i cant believe how arrogant and stubborn some of these MS execs are... these are some of their comments in the wake of all the wrath they are experiencing from gamers.

The definition of ownership is "morphing," Xbox boss Phil Spencer told GameSpot today in response to a question asking if consumers truly own the 0s and 1s that make up the digital experiences they partake in.

"I do think the idea of ownership is morphing," Spencer said. "I think it's morphing in a way that gives the consumer more ability with the content that they have."

One example Spencer pointed out was the ability for up to 10 family members to log in and play Xbox One games wherever they are."

that is the way they see the idea of ownership ?  that you can share your game with 10 family members ?  what about my friend who lives next door ?  or the one who lives halfway across the country ?

and here's another...

Asked if Microsoft anticipated pushback concerning the Xbox One's connectivity and used-game policies, Mattrick said "absolutely," due in part to the vocal nature of gamers.

"It's a super passionate community of people. They're loving what we do," Mattrick said. "It's very important to them and they're opinionated. And they're smart. So they look at all those things and say, 'Hey, is this going to impact me in a negative way?' And until you use it, it's really hard to understand what all the advantages are."

so Mr Mattrick thinks that most gamers are really applauding what MS is doing with the X1 ???   how thick do you have to be..

and rather than use the X1 to see what its advantages are, i already know what the disadvantages are even without using it... and MS are not giving people a compelling reason to buy their product.

the one comment that took the cake -

For those who don't have an Internet connection--Mattrick brought up an example of a person living on a submarine--he pointed out that the Xbox 360 is not going away anytime soon.

"Fortunately we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity; it's called Xbox 360," Mattrick said. "If you have zero access to the Internet, that is an offline device."

Does this guy really think that people who want to play a 'next-gen' console offline will buy a 360 ?  chances are that this particular consumer already has a 360...

i have never seen more arrogant, ignorant, and patronising suits in the gaming industry....

there is no indication whatsoever as of now that MS will retrack on the online requirement and used games policy... they deserve to go down this time..

Sagir, he is right , gamers are loving it. Deal with it... :)

[note to self: look up ps4 pre orders]

yes you are right.. gamers are loving it.. albeit, only a handful of Xbox faithfuls...

any rationally thinking person would not purchase the Xbox given its higher cost, online requirements, restrictions on used games, mandatory Kinect snooping, and need to an XLive subscription to do anything online, let alone play games..

as for PS4 pre-orders, i had gone to Tesco few days ago.. they are taking a 20 pound deposit on a pre-order at the moment.. that day the sales person thought the PS4 woud retail around £400. i told him it would be between £350 and £370... guess who was right ?  ;)

your brother? hehe

i'll pre order if they allow me to refund it later on!