kreely

Wimbledon 2013

55 posts in this topic

2 weeks on the grass at SW19 andvi guess its the usual favourites for the title. Can't see past Djokovic, Federer, Murray & Nadal in that order. There's just nobody else at the moment able to break into that top 4 so there won't be any surprises. Saying that, Nadal has just been unceremonially dumped out in straight sets. Hope no more top seed falls before I attend next monday.

In the ladies draw its Serena all the way for me.

For me it's Sania Mirza any time

Not totally surprised by Nadal's exit. He spends too much energy running around and grinding out titles in the clay court season, and he is not getting younger. The physical nature of his game is bound to take its toll and he was too flat today- a pale shadow of his self. Djokers has an easy draw and would be surprised not to see him in the finals. The other is a toss up between Federer and Murray, but I think Murray may finally beat Fedex at Wimbledon- whether he can beat Djokers after that is the big question. On the women's I agree- it is Serena

For me it's Sania Mirza any time

are you sure that Sania will qualify even for the last 16 ????  come on man.. she maybe good amongst indian women in tennis.. but at a global stage she is way, WAY behind many other players..

i was surprised about Nadal crashing out.. didn't expect him to..  without him it is a shootout between Djokers and Federer..  end of story..

Already!?

Already!?

surprise that it is Wimbledon already or that Nadal was dumped out first round ?

i must admit, i am surprised that he lost first round.

none the less, life moves on and Murray now has a solid change to get to the finals... as far as the BBC this morning was concerned, he has already won the championship..

it will be b/w murray and djoko...

i think murray will win it..

what is the issue with all these injuries today ???

way too many of them in one day, dont you think ?

Also, i am not impressed with the Wimbledon suits who say that The Fed did not conform to the 'predominantly white' dress code when they hauled him up for having orange soles on his shoes.. when the rest of his attire was immaculately white.. 

i wonder then why didnt haul up Serena, who had lots of coloured trinkets and underwear on predominant display... esp when compared to Federer's soles.. 

Oh dear, just 2 rounds and Nadal & Federer are out + Tsonga & Cilic. Murray's path now made extremely easy.

1 person likes this

Something is wrong with the world when nadal loses in the 1st round and federer in the 2nd

why IPL is coming to my mind..sreesanth etc

surely, there is something wrong in the cosmos and the stars and constellations are conspiring...

everything going in Murray's favour this year... or is it that the Wimbledon turf is really messed up this year ??

Sharapova dumped out too.. not that Serena had any tough competition.. but even then, you just dont expect Sharapova to be ousted in the 2nd round.. 

may be something is wrong in the water( I mean Thames water)

Don't think nadal and federer are sreesanth kind of guys to stoop low and fix matches. They are both great champions who want to win every single match they play. In my opinion age is slowly catching up with the 2 guys. Federer is 32 and surely he is past his best. He is still capable of flashes of brilliance, but we won't see the sublime federer anymore. Nadal is 27 and he still has a good couple of years of tennis, but he plays too many matches in the clay court swing and wins them all- and his physical style of play takes its toll. When he was younger he could recover faster, but now he may require more time to recover.

Fortune is smiling on Murray now, with them 2 out. Another dangerous opponent tsonga is also out. Unless there are more shocks I feel it is a djokers- Murray final.

Sharapova outplayed and outshrieked by an unknown opponent. Azarenka is out as well. Can't see serena not winning this one.

All going crazy at this year's Wimbledon.

..Serena now surprisingly out too.

Was there today, great atmosphere all round but missing the glitch & x-factor of Federer and Nadal. Did manage to get Novak's autograph& pic so left a happy man.

1 person likes this

now I know who you are, I saw you in the TV running for autograph... :D

this Wimbledon has become really interesting now..  looks like the women's draw will have a new champion.. Men's group is a bit predictable unless injuries throw a spanner in the works..

couple of talented people who can get to the top in the future - Robson in the women's and Bernard Tomic in the men's. 

robson has the variety of shots but way too many unforced errors.. however, she has age on her side and can improve with the right coaching.. 

good win for Murray, esp being 2 sets down... he did play well in the last 3 sets and scored when it mattered.. Verdasco on the other hand, being very good initially, let off the pressure in the 3rd set.. i suppose he thought he might take a rest and then get on top again in the 4th or 5th set, which never happened..

Janowicz, who is proving to be a very good player, awaits Murray in the semis now.. personally, i think Djokovic is still favourite to lift the trophy... let's see what happens.

I think lisicki or radwanska will win the women's title. The men's trophy has djokers written all over it

Don't rule Murray out. This has been a strange tournament & he's more experienced now....I think whoever is more hungrier will win it. If Novak plays well he wins.

Don't rule Murray out. This has been a strange tournament & he's more experienced now....I think whoever is more hungrier will win it. If Novak plays well he wins.

well, Murray has Janowicz to face in the semis.. i am not dismissing Murray's chances at all, but Janowicz will prove to be a more formidable opponent than Verdasco.. Janowicz has a good powerful serve and he moves better on the court.. Verdasco's main shots were his forehand rallies and he did seem too inclined to use that than a backhand volley or return..

whatever happens, the last 3 games will be very interesting...

and on that note, the Lisciki and Radwanska semi-final is looking as if it should have been the final match !  those two have produced good tennis today... Lisciki with her power strokes and Radwanska with her finesse and placement.. if she had the power that Lisciki has, she'd have the edge..

I think Lisciki is a worthy finalist and would be a deserved winner if she wins on Saturday. She's got a great serve and lots of power and has managed to cope under pressure many times this tournament. I was impressed with her against Serena but more do today. She showed spirit in that 3rd set even when a break down and also being broken back when serving for the match. She was more hungrier than Radwanska. I see her as a clear favourite for the championship. The question is what happens after that...as many female 1st slam winners then to fizzle out afterwards.

Janowicz is good but Murray is a tougher opponent than any he's faced so far. ...I think Murray shouldn't be too troubled by him.

Novak remains the favourite and will be unstoppable if he plays his A game.

watched the replay of the semis after returning from work and yes Lisciki does look the clear favourite, although i will admit, Bartoli looks dogged in her determination too and packs more power in her shots than Radwanska...

in the long run, i suppose Lisciki is the one to bet on for multiple Slam trophies..  she just looks a complete package.. and the more i watch her play, the more impressed i get.. some of her forehands remind me of a certain Miss Graf, my all time favourite. 

Not sure of lisicki as a multi grand slam winner. She has a good grass court game, but she is nowhere to be seen on other courts. Same with bartoli who plays best at Wimbledon. Bartoli is a former finalist at Wimbledon and this is her best chance, but then lisicki has been very impressive as well.

I think Murray will overcome janowicz in a tough 4 set match. Janowicz needs to serve really well to upset Murray's rhythm. If he does that, he is well capable of an upset. The other match between djokovic and del Porto will be intriguing. Can't see anyone beating djokers when he plays his best, but if he is slightly below par, delpo has got the weapons to cause an upset. I wonder about the state of his knees though after that fall in the match against ferrer.

i am getting really irritated at the bias in the media... 

the other day, Murray's match got 25 minutes of an hour long highlight package when there were 3 other games that needed to be shown. and today, on the radio, the commentators declared that Murray is one of the greats because he has reached 5 semis in a row... and that a guy like Janowicz might be playing his first and last semi-final and that it would be 'heart breaking' for him if/when he loses..

i mean COME ON guys !!!!  atleast do a fair bit of coverage and give credit to ALL the players who make it big.. i have nothing against Murray.. i actually like the poor fellow and he has improved a hell lot over the past 18-odd months... but such a bias in reporting is disgusting...  it really does my head in..  and it is the same damn thing everywhere, whether it is cricket, tennis, F1, football, golf etc etc.. 

1 person likes this