kreely

Wimbledon 2013

55 posts in this topic

Djokovic was making lots of unforced errors and he appeared not himself. But Murray was just superior to him on the final day. I could have been more exciting if not 3 sets to nil.

Here we go again.....Murray wins Wimbledon and the PM is rooting for him to be knighted.

hehe.. so you noticed it as well eh ?

i read somewhere today, probably on BBC, that Murray deserves to be knighted over sportsmen like Chris Hoy and Steve Redgrave, two men who performed consistently well over a period of years..

i have no qualms against Murray being nominated for a knighthood but i dont like that it has to be because he won at Wimbledon.. prior to this, he had won the Olympic gold and the US Open and was the first British man to do so for God knows how many decades... that was his momentous achievement.. 

From what i gather, knighthoods are awarded for exceptional service or achievement.. Edmund Hilary received one for being the first to climb Everest.. others who have followed him do not receive one because their achievement is a bit immaterial now.. the deed has been done.. based on that 'logic', Murray definitely deserves to be awarded one, for he is the only British guy (perhaps only Scot in history as well) in a long long time.. 

heck if Bradley Wiggins can get one for winning the Tour de France just ONCE, Murray definitely deserves it !

personally, i think Murray should get the knighthood.. but not just yet.. maybe when he retires for his lifetime accomplishments and achievements, and by then what influence he'd have had on British tennis.

The British media reaction has been on expected lines. But I am quite impressed with Murray's reaction. He has been down to earth, sensible and seems to be focused on winning more grand slams. He has given due credit to his coach Ivan Lendl, who has really made a big difference since he became his coach 18 months ago.

The British media reaction has been on expected lines. But I am quite impressed with Murray's reaction. He has been down to earth, sensible and seems to be focused on winning more grand slams. He has given due credit to his coach Ivan Lendl, who has really made a big difference since he became his coach 18 months ago.

aye well said.. even his acceptance speech was one of humble dignity and gratitude towards those who have helped him get there.. he is a nice guy for sure.. unlike some other spoilt prats - yes Mr Hamilton, i am looking at you. 

Im quite a big tennis fan, and will watch it if its on the TV. I remember watching the epic Isner vs Mahut match the 70-68 final set match and being drawn in by their determination to keep going.

I also feel like Andy will be really missed when he retires, as currently there arent really any other male players that are capable of getting anywhere at the moment. Although things are really looking up for the women with Kontas emergence, hoping shell star at Wimbledon this year