Happydoc

Is it right or wrong to expect professional courtesy from your registered GP of more than 3 years

9 posts in this topic

I have had the unfortunate experience of having to request my GP for a letter of support confirming several problems for which I have been treated in the last 6 to 7 months. I need this letter for an extension for my MSc. I was completely disgusted and disappointed when I was asked to £25 for the letter yesterday. After all it is just 10 lines confirming what medical treatment this guy has himself given me, i am not asking for a botox injection!! I feel it a sad day for the medical profession and an even more sad day for the NHS. Has any one else had such an experience?

I have spent the last 9 years serving the NHS, and the first time I have needed a bit of help, I am being asked to pay.

Edited by Ninja Warrior

imagine if you were the GP and half the people on your case load kept asking you for some document or the other.

I had approached the GP for something once and was asked a fee of 10 pounds, which i paid.. working in a previous CMHT, we kept getting letters from councils, transport services, citizens advice bureau, solicitors, housing associations etc etc.. responding to all of these does put a strain on your time, more so if you are an acute service, a busy team or an under-staffed service. and there were many times i wished that we did not get all these requests, or were issued some form of remuneration for it.. only the DVLA, and in some cases solicitors for reports, paid a fee to respond to their requests for medical reports. 

so, i can understand the strain on GP's time given that they deal with a lot more people than we do in the CMHT... i will concede that 25 is a little too much.. maybe a tenner would probably be worth giving..  

as far as your point about 'professionals' courtesy' goes, i dont think there are very many people who follow that code.. that very bit is in great abundance in India and every time i need to see a doc, i dont even get charged consultation fees, and many investigations and stuff are discounted. maybe a cultural thing.. or it might be the fact, many people fear the regulated nature within the UK

If GP doesn't charge you(as you are doctor too) for doing report and charges others for similar report then he is potentially discriminating others.....Although personally GP might not want to charge you but he has to follow the procedures ...or he will be booked under discriminatory law I think  

If GP doesn't charge you(as you are doctor too) for doing report and charges others for similar report then he is potentially discriminating others.....Although personally GP might not want to charge you but he has to follow the procedures ...or he will be booked under discriminatory law I think

I appreciate your point, but every body can waive things at their discretion. That is my point.

imagine if you were the GP and half the people on your case load kept asking you for some document or the other.

I had approached the GP for something once and was asked a fee of 10 pounds, which i paid.. working in a previous CMHT, we kept getting letters from councils, transport services, citizens advice bureau, solicitors, housing associations etc etc.. responding to all of these does put a strain on your time, more so if you are an acute service, a busy team or an under-staffed service. and there were many times i wished that we did not get all these requests, or were issued some form of remuneration for it.. only the DVLA, and in some cases solicitors for reports, paid a fee to respond to their requests for medical reports. 

so, i can understand the strain on GP's time given that they deal with a lot more people than we do in the CMHT... i will concede that 25 is a little too much.. maybe a tenner would probably be worth giving..  

as far as your point about 'professionals' courtesy' goes, i dont think there are very many people who follow that code.. that very bit is in great abundance in India and every time i need to see a doc, i dont even get charged consultation fees, and many investigations and stuff are discounted. maybe a cultural thing.. or it might be the fact, many people fear the regulated nature within the UK

Well, I am not half the people on his case load, I am me, a fellow professional. You probably are right and it is a cultural issue, but the medical profession everywhere is being de-humanised. If i were a GP and had a doctor as my patient, i wouldn't charge them for doing a letter. Anyway it is probably a sign of old age when your principles seem out of time and out of place.

At least you agree that £25 is a bit too much.

Also why should GPs be allowed to charge and other doctors not for all that stuff you have mentioned like housing associations, councils etc, if I had got paid for all that stuff I have done in the last 9 years, I would be very nearly a millionaire!! They don't even pay us for MHA assessments done during 9 to 5 any more...

I suppose I was already annoyed by the GP by his less than adequate knowledge and skills, so it rankled even more. But I have paid it so........that's it.

Anyway it all seems rather trivial compared to the tragedy in Spain, I was hoping to go walking there in April, had my health permitted.....

may be you should change ur GP now,you lost ur trust in them

I agree that there should be a degree of professional respect between us. But everything is now financially driven...

1 person likes this

Not geting paid for MHA between 9 to 5? They tried that on us when we were SHO, but BMA or someone intervened. Nowadays even BMA may not get involved even if we pay them. Prof Courtesy be damned.

It is remarkable, this rather valuable opinion