Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
folushile

ADHD linked station on 11/9/13

6 posts in this topic

Did anyone pass the ADHD linked station on the 11th. Could you please share how to go about it?

I remember the actor wanting me to diagnose ADHD quickly. When I asked her to tell me more about what's been happening with her son, she went 'its all in th notes'. Does any one know what the catch is in the station?

I failed and that is one of the stations I knew why I failed despite show of excellent communication skills in that station. I did not have the time to mention the medication and the actor did not ask a single question about medication. That is how going along with the actor and ignoring your own checklist gets you fail.

What you have to do is:

Explore their knowledge and understanding

Elicit his concerns all along

Give symptoms

Tell him that these symptoms suggest of a diagnosis

Ask him whether he knows about this diagnosis

Tell him epidemiology

Tell him aetiology; hopefully he will ask himself otherwise you tell him

Ask for concerns and questions

Tell him how you made that diagnosis

Signpost Biopsychosocial treatments and ask him what he wanted to know first (My mistake I did not and jsust followed the actor's cues)

Tell him about Medications

Tell him about Psychosocial Treatments and programmes for parents, for teachers, for child and extra supports at school

Summarise

Offer outpatients appointment

Offer leaflets and support groups.

Edited by Afterlife

Can you please tell us what questions role player asked?

Well my actor was more focussed towards aetiology and psychosocial management. He also asked questions about future risk of ADHD in the next coming child as his wife is currently pregnant. There were questions related to medications and people who were asked these questions can explain it more. 

Did anyone pass the ADHD linked station on the 11th. Could you please share how to go about it?

I remember the actor wanting me to diagnose ADHD quickly. When I asked her to tell me more about what's been happening with her son, she went 'its all in th notes'. Does any one know what the catch is in the station?

Yes the actor did not say anything openly so I ended up asking all closed Qs

Asked her all the core criteria:

Inattention

Impulsivity and

Hyperactivity. Interestingly I was asking with examples as she did not give me any examples when I asked for it!

For example, I asked her will he be able to sit and eat at the table without any problems?

Then, asked her about the symptoms in other situation like school and supermarket.

I also mentioned at this time that I have read through the GP letter and about his behaiour in the GP surgery.

Then went on to rule out, conduct disorder, autism, LD and any tics!

Then, family history, when she opened up saying her brother's child was diagnosed with ADHD and that he is taking Methyl phenidate and asked me whether his son also has ADHD, then I told her that we will send out questionnaire to her and his teachers and will make an appointment to see his son.

Then I carried on by asking his developmental and medical history.

And asked about current family situations, when she mentioned taht she is pregnant and worried about her growing baby, its just empathising with her and being honest with her that teh other child might also be affected and acknowledging her stress at this point!!

Finally, told her that it sounds that her son might be suffering form ADHD with the given symptoms and a positive family history but as mentioned before will see him and send out questionnaires.

I passed this station with a B

I failed and that is one of the stations I knew why I failed despite show of excellent communication skills in that station. I did not have the time to mention the medication and the actor did not ask a single question about medication. That is how going along with the actor and ignoring your own checklist gets you fail.

What you have to do is:

Explore their knowledge and understanding

Elicit his concerns all along

Give symptoms

Tell him that these symptoms suggest of a diagnosis

Ask him whether he knows about this diagnosis

Tell him epidemiology

Tell him aetiology; hopefully he will ask himself otherwise you tell him

Ask for concerns and questions

Tell him how you made that diagnosis

Signpost Biopsychosocial treatments and ask him what he wanted to know first (My mistake I did not and jsust followed the actor's cues)

Tell him about Medications

Tell him about Psychosocial Treatments and programmes for parents, for teachers, for child and extra supports at school

Summarise

Offer outpatients appointment

Offer leaflets and support groups.

I passed this station with a B.

I just went in and said to him that I am here to address his concerns and went with his flow.

He was asking about diagnosis which I explained.

Then he asked about treatment, when I told him the Bio psych social approach.

I talked about behavioural therapy at first and then went on to talk about Methyl phenidate and mentioned the side effects and the need for regular monitoring.

Then social approach like family therapy and educating the teacher and inviting his teacher for the meetings.

Others as mentioned by afterlife like websites and leaflets