xxsat2011

CASC tips please

36 posts in this topic

Any CASC preparation or performance tips from people who have passed? Anything would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Hi,

I passed in my 3rd attempt. I am white European, English is not my first language and my qualifications were not in English.

What I found useful in my preparation was:

- I attended Oxford Course which was helpful for communication skills. I would advise this for non British graduates well before the CASC, probably as CT1. It tough me skills but when I attended it did not contain so many practice stations. nonetheless the skills learnt were useful and applicable to exam and clinical practice

-I practiced with people who passed, who sat the exam before me. The structures and scenarios that I've learnt this way were priceless.

-I attended SPMM mock before my first attempt. the result was very close to the real thing, useful experience, but if you perform badly is very demoralising close to the exam. I did not like the written feed back, half of it I couldn't read.

-I attended SPMM course after failing with 11 stations last time. Very useful to see so many stations in a 2 days. I wouldn't advise it for people whose communication skills are an issue as in the 3 minutes feed back after each station there is no time to change that. Priceless if you are very close to passing (10-11 stations passed)

In my experience, honest feed back is the most valuable thing. I practiced with a few people who told me exactly what I needed to change/ shift. The British consultants are too polite and nice to say it bluntly but I learnt to read between the lines. If they wouldn't say "it was a pass" I knew that there is still lots to improve. Before the last attempt I've got more feedback like "I would have pass you" and I knew that I was on the right track.

Good luck to all of you! it is possible, but unfortunately it might take a long time. I only passed 7 stations in my first attempt so it can be done!

2 people like this

Gosh been having early morning a Awakening since Monday. Anyways thanks mcmcmc congrads you did very well!!! keep thinking if only I had one more station if only but never mind!! Though surprises me how I failed young guy with psychosis and paediatric od. I thought I covered in depth and range but maybe I looked too anxious. The ECG still puzzles me as I felt there were some changes on st/t wave though I thought later it would be too cruel to make it that difficult. But the again I feel as though I am a doctor and I can't even figure out bloody st change etc? I old myself focus focus when walking to the exam but then somehow lost it in the stations!! I would like to know how you did and how you controlled this!!! I read notes I practiced went to mocks everything could not have worked harder but performance anxiety took over once again़ ़ how can I show my best self in the exam instead of the worst!?? Or at least my Average self? I told myself to be positive but somehow these ruminations won't stop...and I know it won't until I pass ..the uncertainty is killing me inside!!! Anyways never mind!!! Thanks for your tips!!

Ramu do not unnecessary blame yourself. You have shown by passing 11 stations that you are a good doctor by RCPsych standard. one station does not make a big difference. Honestly for me people who have passed even 7 or 8 station are no way less than a good doctor as long as you are a safe competent doctor and working. You would not be allowed to work in this country if you were not good or better than local doctors.

Have trust in your self. Look at how many exams you have passed in the past. Why to put yourself down by this unpredictable exam where it standard has always been questionable.

Please do not do this because you do not deserve this.

Just try your best. Aim to be a good doctor by your standard and by the standards of people who are  reputed not by CASC result.

You are putting CASC at highest pedestal in your mind.

Not every county cricketer can come into the national team and people who are brilliant, can come into the national team can enter it at as early as 18 years of age. It is a matter of ability and God gifted capability of passing. If we are not passing why are we lingering on. At least me. Why don't I quit it. Am not able to find the answer. I don't want to discourage others but that is how I feel myself. So far I have not made a decision to quit or to continue trying to be a part of international cricket despite getting closer to the age of retirement.

Just being a good doctor is not enough to get through the exam . one has to be a good actor too.

3 people like this

Not every county cricketer can come into the national team and people who are brilliant, can come into the national team can enter it at as early as 18 years of age. It is a matter of ability and God gifted capability of passing. If we are not passing why are we lingering on. At least me. Why don't I quit it. Am not able to find the answer. I don't want to discourage others but that is how I feel myself. So far I have not made a decision to quit or to continue trying to be a part of international cricket despite getting closer to the age of retirement.

Hi Kamran,

I am confident you will get your day. CASC is something that to me feels like bullying and checks your mental strength especially if you have failed a few times. The danger of negative thinking is that we go into a vicious circle with low confidence levels and hopelessness and there by close the doors of success ourselves. I mean to say that we need to deal with the enemy within us so that we are strong enough to deal with the enemy outside.The only way to move forward is to believe in yourself and remain positive amidst all misery.

What worked for me this time is I never allowed any negative thoughts to come into my mind. With this attitude you at least give yourself a good chance to pass. I am not saying all this because I passed but to let you know that a change in attitude is going to make a difference. You cant change the attitude of the college or the actor but can change your own attitude to help yourselves.

Kiran

3 people like this

Thanks Kiran for your kind and motivational words. Kamran.

1 person likes this

I do remember when i failed Paper 3 second time, I changed my user name to "far from MRCPSych" and "zero1". My husband told me next attempt will be your last attempt, than never talk about exam again. I told him irrespective of the fact that I pass or fail, I will keep giving on next attempt otherwise what will I tell my children if I had given next attempt I would have passed.....Hope it does make sense.

2 people like this

Furthermore people like Misbah ul Haq are an example who came to cricke team at the age of 35 or 36 and became a skipper at the age of 37 and is still a skipper. It was late but he never left hope and finally came into the cricket team and became a captain within a year. Afridi had his own luck who came to the team at 16 but is in and out of the team on a continual basis. I guess similar examples of late debutants can be found in Indian team as well.

I guess moral of story is giving up is not easy as well.

Tip for CASC is ;

Start preparing from day 1 & pray for success from Day 1 az well...)

I think with Misbah ul haq being consistent and hard working he earned more respect & success.

Afridi ...hmmm...sometime being lucky alone cannot solve all problems...)

2 people like this

we all will pass like kiran one day.keep on thinking positively. keep you face up. pray and practice.never loss hope .

3 people like this

we shall over come, we shall over come

we shall over come some day

oh ,deep in my heart, I do believe

we shall over come some day....................when?

1 person likes this

If anyone will give up now he/she just tries to escape middle adulthood crisis"generativity versus stagnation" but beware you may face permanent despair later ,I KNOW it is late for some including me but still not too late............persistence

2 people like this

mcmcmcmc's post is best advice for IMG's to get through casc in their first attempt and destroy the prevailing notion saying its not an exam for IMG's. 

I passed. Its after a long and hard fight since failing part 2 osces. I cant  give extra tips other than endorsing mcmcmcmc's views. Just one point though I do not think its test of acting skills please do not promote that idea. The answer lies in mcmcmcmc's post where he/she talks about culture differences.

Ofcourse luck is luck for lucky ones..I am not ashamed to admit I was lucky this time. "Dont give up" this is the message I want to pass on.

Good Luck

3 people like this

such helpful feedback from fellow IMGs.......secrets the british trained doctors/medical grads. find difficult to share :unsure: Thanks you all. Now if only I knew where these BMGs held their 'secret meetings'(practise groups).............LOL :ph34r:

Hi

There are so many casc courses and mock exams all over the country.

Does anyone know which are the best to attend?

yes... practice with colleagues and consultants at work.  and get some tips.  Look at my post on "hidden tasks" under CASC

Hi

There are so many casc courses and mock exams all over the country.

Does anyone know which are the best to attend?

Depends what's your level. If in a mock you pass 10-11 I'd go for something like SPMM, where you see like 60 stations in 2 days, but there isn't time to learn new skills.

If you'd pass less then that, I'd try to find something that teaches skills, like Oxford.

If you are in the pass range I wouldn't go for any.

Edited by aly

i found the spmm weekend course very helpful.

also attending as many mocks you can is really helpful.

i attended the oxford course mock and seshni mock..

also try to get hold of old oxford course notes if u can.