Part II results explained

20 posts in this topic

What do the results mean?

MCQ paper = 6 out of what?

Essay Paper = 12 out of what?

Critical Review = 10 same question

Individual Patient = 8

Patient Management = 8

What is a pass? How is it all calculated?

Anybody know????

tthe written are over 20.don`t ask me how they got 20.

similarly the IPA and PMP are over 20.I think a minimum of 10 each is pass mark in clinicals

i agree with welsh wiz .we dont know how they come about the magic no of 20 in the theory exams.

the clinicals each section out of 20 ,u need 10 to pass

i think for the written part the score is peer referenced like the part 1, so for example (not correct figures follow):

20=>90%

18=85%-90%

16=80%-85%

etc

i think that because when i failed the part 1 the feedback sheet gave a list of percentages and what mark the percentage corresponded to - don't know if it's still the same though.

for the clinical, each section is scores out of (i think) 10, and the examiners gives you an overall mark (out of 20?)

Hi teh results of written exams are as follows

Essay  out of 20 : you have to score 8 to pass it

MCQ which is not peer referenced anymore - you have to score 8 or 6 to pass it - in relation to paper of CRP

CRP again you need to score 8 or 6 to pass it depending on MCQ paper

But to my knowledge after I had detailed discussion with many consultants and people who are inside Royal College its very clear

[sorry Childpsych - this paragraph has been removed. You should name your sources if you want to write something like this, and even then you might still be sued for libel. - Webmaster, 3/01/2004]

He or she has to score

At least 10 in two papers and 8 in the third paper to eventually pass the examination after clinics - although they may go to clinics but they would be failed unless they have scored at least 10 in two papers.

as far as i'm aware if you achieve marks to pass the written, you get to sit the clinical, then if you pass the clinical you've passed, they don't then go back and fail you overall cos you didn't do well enough at the written. the two exams are seperate, with apass in the written making you eleigible for the clinical.

Hiya Johnniespring,

You missed what childpsych said.OOPs! Am I not supposed to repeat it?Sorry webmaster.

i think what childpsych says makes sense.[maybe becoz am paranoid anyway about the rc] ;)

however,would definitely like to believe johnniespring.

but pray tell me,

why does it take one full month for the rc to publish the results? :-X

yes I agree with MCQCRAP why does it take a month to publish the overall result when already they have all the teory result they just have to feed the result of the clinical in to the computer (again not marks but pass or fail) it should be ready by atleast within a week and put us all out of our misery. it will also be helpful to strart preparing for the next if unsuccessful rather than having to wait another month!!!

I think we all missed what Childpych said because it has been removed by Webmaster( Isn't that true?)

How did you manage to read what have been removed from Childpsych post, Rhadica/ ???

I think I just managed to read it before it was removed!!

To Childpsyche: please verify your sources and if you are 100% sure please let us know again with the names of definite sources,etc.What you said is very important.We should do something about that if it is true.On the other hand are you just talking out of frustration...?

childpsych ,i know u must b under pressure.but i dont think there is any need to reveal ur sources.

we all know that there is some kinda tomfoolery going on with the results but we cannot put a finger on it.

everybody get on with ur lives and leave childpsych alone!!

Listen I cannot quote my sources OK but when any candidate is passed at the clinical examinations on teh day his clinic is held they why it takes a month to announce the result. The Royal College of Surgeons in Edinburgh, Glasgow and Dublin and Royal College of Physicians in Ireland announce the clinical results on teh day the examination is held. If a candidate has been passed by the four examiners what does teh Royal College of Psychiatrists have to think about it. A month. Come on give me a break. Ok it makes sense that you need a month to check teh essays but about clinical examinations it takes a month - i dont believe that.

All I am saying is that examination should be made more transparent and fair. Isnt it a fact that since the written and the clinical examinations were separated the number of nonEU candidates working in UK and Ireland started passing with a higher rate. If I am wrong go on the past pass lists of past ten years.

All we want is fairness.

Another thing. We should not be identifed in teh examination by our College ID number because that also indicates to teh examiner how old is teh examiner from teh attempts point of view. Obviously one with a candidate number of say 10000 is considered to be older as compared to 15000 (these figures are just for examples and I dont know which candidates they belong to)

On one end everyone is saying there is shortage of psychiatrists and on other hand examination is made so tough.

In USA American Board of Psychiatry has Part 1 and Part 2 examinations. Part 1 is only MCQ and Part 2 is clinical. Plus in the clinical when a doctor is seeing a patient the examiners DO NOT KNOW THE HISTORY OF THE PATIENT BEFORE HAND which makes sense. Plus candidates are observed taking history so there is no chance of patient changing his stories later on.

Childpsych

I fully agree with childpsych re clinical result the whole thing takes almost 3 months of your life (without considering the preparation depending on individuals) so having done it three time almost a year of my life has been taken by the college and all the uncertainities and anxieties of the WAITING GAME. I donot think there is any royal college exam that is stretched this long or this complicated

As childpsych puts it when they have dcided you have attained reasonable standards in theory and eligible to do the clinical the results will obviously be ready on the evening of the clinical ok to be fair to the college to do admin work (inspite the tecnological advantages in the world) I dont think it should take more than few days

it will help people to move on or start preparing again otherwise like my case you just put a halt to life expecting this result no holidays in case i fail cant prapare in case i pass oh dear god!!!! as professionals dealing with mental health issues they should understand out difficulties but i dont think so!!!!!

I fully agree with childpsych. the clinical exam is one of the most subjective exam one can write. it all depends on one's luck on the day and also on the fact whether examiners like u or not. i have been going through this 'torture' for last 2 yrs. the worst part is to write the theory again after passing it in the previous attempt.

we must try our best to inform the college of our concerns as i am loosing faith in the system by which this exam is conducted and in its fairness. the overall impact of writing this exam repeatedly, on family life, is dreadful which i believe most of u will agree. please reply. :-[ >:(

I agree , after a few attempts at the exam ,one after the other all fail , I decided that that was the end of my academic career .  It was so humiliating and degrading that I almost gave  up  being a doctor thinking that I incapabale .

Anything else like homeopathy or herbalism  sounded so attractive .  

I really decided to forget academia and be a staff grade doctor ,  earning a nice salary , with little responsibility . It has been cosy .  

However it is indeed a dead end job ( in my opinion)and also is degrading in its own way .  I alwys felt that the MRCPsych was unfinished business . I got a new and young consultant with whom I was working  . He asked me what he could do for me in terms of supervision .  I told him that I need a kick up the ass and he said sure I'll do that .....  

He was incredibley supportive in every way and incredibly inspiring .  The rest is history .  I got my exam while I was occupying a staff grade post out of academia for years  .  

In retrospect , I regret doing the exam previously so dogmatically one attempt after the other like a robot . I had zero supervision , and no -one showed the slightest interest in my case .  Now I can see that I was inadequately prepared for the written exams and I did them at times when I was in turmoil and should have been discouraged from writing at times .  

As far as the clinicals go ,  I dont believe that it is a matter of good luck at all .  I have funnily enough never failed a clinical exam and on a few occasions they thought that they had made a mistake with  my marks .  I have said it before and I will say it again ,we are supposed to be  experienced doctors and we should be able to assess any case the examiners throw at us under exam conditions .   Alot of the  time it comes down to experience and nothing can ever replace that . It should be second nature to us by this time .

My advice to anyone having trouble with the exams is the following :

Take a well earned long break from exam pressure , enjoy psychiatry for a change . Forget exams for a year or  more , take a staff grade job .  Then when your energy is strong , come back to it with a fresh and more mature approach .

This is my experience , maybe others can relate as well .      

I fully agree with neopallium.Some candidates seem to know a lot but keep faily.If one would care to carefully introspect, it will reveal that these candidates,though they know a lot are not 'exam focussed'. Apart from just studying the books,one should also talk to as many part 11 candidates as possible and analyse what the examiners really want in the exam.I had gone to Leeds for the exam and one consultant there mentioned (after the exam day was over - we got to talking about how I did the exam)-I would be considered to be a very good candidate if I pass the exam as only 30% of overseas doctors pass in the first attempt.I am not sure how far that is true.I think the main reason for overseas candidates failing the exam is not understanding the local exam system and preparing accordingly.

I thought about what what childpsyche said. No college can LEGALLY be partial to candidates and get away with it-not in this day and age.

Please do not be paranoid as this will further affect your motivation.Follow neopallium's advise (seems very sensible to me).Try to analyse what went wrong and discuss that with a motivated supervisor. Keep trying-and 99.9% of the candidates will pass eventually.

Hey everyone

I take your advice and I have stopped blaming the college for everything. My past score is - five attempts . The first two failed because of MCQs the third and fourth written was passed with long cases failing while the PMPs I passed and the last attempt I failed in written again - this time essay.

In the past my scores in essay were

first attempt 12

second attempt 14

third attempt 10

fourth attempt 10

fifth attempt 4

Can u believe it I got FOUR in the essay and the essay was about the shortage of beds in teh psychiatric hospital -its causes and how we can do best to rectify it. I think if anyone can ask a CPN also to write an essay on this topic he or she would also write.

Still as you all guys are saying I am paranoid and I am not taking my failures in grace I would say that I have preparing for another attempt with all the hardwork again as if I am attempting for the first attempt.

They say passing exams is not luck but WHEN OPPORTUNITY MEETS HARDWORK - THAT IS HOW YOU DEFINE SUCCESS

Lets us see what happens.

good on u child psych as u ave put it perseverance will fetch success i think it is about hardwork and also performance on that day i failed theory 3 times i am nonethewiser today

it is an act and you are being watches to perform so it depends on how hard u are approachin it on that day

please relax i am sure with your experiernce u need not put more hard work but focused preparation

JUST REMEMBER ON THAT DAY ITS GOING TO BE YOU

Good luck and best wishes we want you to pass