Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest cormacfenton

Psychotherapy requirements for Part2

9 posts in this topic

I was wondering what the general feeling toward our Psychotherapy requirements was.

My Tutor told me yesterday that the Royal College will stop candidates from getting their Part2 if they have not fulfilled the following:

One long case (typically one year psychoanalysis) +

Three short cases, with each case in a different model eg: CBT, CAT etc.

You also need experience in group or family therapy.

Has anybody else had difficulty getting supervision for the various types of therapy we're supposed to use?

I was speaking to some Irish SHOs who have not been told anything about these requirements, despite the fact that they do the same exams as us.

I don't know anyone who has come anywhere near close to getting 4 separate cases. Is this the norm? Is it just my roatation that is having this difficulty? I'm on the UCL North-East London scheme.

If candidates are going to be refused membership on these grounds shouldn't there be more clarity and organisation?

What do you reckon?

this information is rubbish .

The college are not interested in how many cases you have had in psychotherapy . The only limitation to date is the requirement of either 6 months in child and adolescent or mental handicap .

I have just passed the exam and got membership without having patients in psychotherapy .

I agree with neopallium one small point you can still do part II without a posting in LD or child but you can not put the title until you complete the reqirement but re psychotherapy there is no ste rule hope the tutors attend their trainers meeting and goide trainees apprpriately rhather than scarin ppl off the exam

guys,i have done loads of EMDR which is not recognised as psychotherapy i guess. i havent got a single psychoanalytic /other case.has anyone been stopped from writing exams . they have clearly written that it is compulsory.also i worked in rural scotland were no consultant was interested in psycho-analysis and thought it was somewhat useless (not exactly).

The requirement is that you should have 3 short cases and one long case, if you are going to take exams in 2005, probably not before that. And that you should at least have started the long case by the time you give your exams

There are some guidelines in the Royal College website check it.

Here is a link I found on the college website . www.rcpsych.ac.uk/traindev/postgrad/ptBasic.pdf

it tells you all about the requirements for psychotherapy . These rules are NOT mentioned in the examination regulations however . This link tells you that it is up to your trainer to make sure that you fullfill the requirements . So I guess it will come down to individual experiences I am afraid and your trainer may insist that you complete all the requirements . :(

hi from what i know, if you start your training in 2002, when u sit for exams in2005, u need the psychotherapy requirements for exams/ membership. anytime before that, u must have just completed child/ LD posting to get membership

Though it has been advised by the College to go undergo training in psychotherapy (one long, 3 short cases) for completing your basic psych training it is yet to be made mandatory meaning sometime in 2006 the College would start barring the candidates from appearing in part II unless they have completed these many cases in psychotherapy. So if you are appearing now (Part II) or in the near future then you could get away with it.

Having said this it would be better to try and do as much psychotherapy training (cases) as possible so that you meet the College guidelines and also it would be helpful towards long case in clinical exam if they ask you to do a psychoanalytic formulation.

It is not surprising to find Consultants who do not have any interest in psychotherapy especially psychoanalytic, this probably indicates their exposure to psychotherapy training during their basic psych training and emphasis given by their trainers to learn it.

If you contact the College or your local Tutor they should be able to give to you the details of the psychotherapy training cases one is supposed to have done, so you would have an idea what is expected of you. These days College is increasingly giving emphasis on psychotherapy training and understanding of psychiatric illnesses.

Its not easy for anyone.....

Best of luck.......

Re emphasis on psychotherapy training - anyone out there with good training in their scheme re same.

In Ireland there is very little available to trainees - any ideas re crash books/courses for PMPs Part or long case psychotherapy formulations???