wannablocum

Starting a new Locum post - acceptable hourly rates

9 posts in this topic

I am going back into Locum job after been in a Substantive job for a good few years. the last time I checked the going rates were in 2010, and it was between 54-60 for a Locum Staff Grade post.

recently been forwarded for a post and been offered 56 per hour and was wondering what the ongoing rates these days are - I am well aware that it depends on various factors - i.e - location - esp rural compared to urban hospitals, locum agencies, NHS/Private Trusts, abundance of ideal candidates availability, demand and supply and the list go on........ but I am looking to hear from people who are currently in post or been offered post recently and what was the best possible rates achievable.

One thing, I have noticed is that, us doctors are quite naïve in this area of negotiation and end up having to take whatever is been offered.

and another query is with regards to the mandatory 30 mins lunch break (37.5 hours instead of 40hr /week- is it the general norm these days every where? would like to hear about that as well

Hi there,

Are you available to discuss the current market with one of my team?

Thanks,

Steve

Steven Anthony

01277 245866

Hi
I think I have been underpaid in 2 NHS Locum job. 1st job as a specialty doctor I had nop experience in the field and so accepted 47.45. Second job after 7 months I was offered 48.33. They told me it was the best they could do. In hindsight I should have asked for more. On the agency's website they state 50-65 for specialty doctor. I see them offering some SHOs more than me!

Can anyone kindly advise from their experience? Also, how does locum rate foR NHS compare to private sector?

Thanks everyone

I was wondering what is the rate for NHS locum jobs for staff grade post as I am very new in this area and this is my first locum job. Can anyone comment.

I think 50-65 sounds about right for locum staff grade posts, depending mainly on the location and urgency

Hi

thanks for all your replies. Would specialty doctor attract less than staff grade? Also, are the rates people have replied with PAYE or ltd company?

Thanks everyone 

I was wondering what is the rate for NHS locum jobs for staff grade post as I am very new in this area and this is my first locum job. Can anyone comment.

Hi Sulgana

Happy to discuss pay rates and opportunities available at your convenience.

Psychiatry Team @ ProMedical | psychiatry@promedical.co.uk | 01277 212 797

Doctor-Good looking, strong, energetic, humorous,can work for a long time before getting tired:D

I hope I have your attention at the first line.....

I know the thread is almost a year old but I was hoping I could get an answer.

There is a saying that: The man who asks a question is a fool for a minute, the man who does not ask is a fool for life.

I am considering my first locum job and i will like some directions from anyone who is currently doing psychiatry locums.

I have 10yrs post primary medical qualification.

5yrs experience in psychiatry of which 3 was as a core trainee.

Passed all written and exams and CASC so effectively a member(Mrpsych)

Experience-Rich and varied from GA, OA,LD, Forensic, CAMHS, Rehab, PICU ,etc the whole gamut

Question- What is my job title in locum term village ?(specialty Dr or ?)

Question 2- What are the hourly rates lowest  to highest(range) I should consider reasonable bear it in my mind that I am good looking, strong, energetic.....etc. Please PM me the rates if preferred though I think many might be in similar situation and need to know this too.

Also I need to pay loans and buy a Ferrari .

Thanks in advance.