silent_menace

MRCPSYCH in F2

12 posts in this topic

Hello all

I am aFY2 looking to apply for psych training next year. I am deciding on whether to do my part A exam. I have started some revision but judging from the mock exams it really seems like something I should do when I have some training.  I would be grateful for people opinions on whether sitting the exam eely is beneficial- I know it would look great on my application. –How many people have MRCPsych on their application as a rule? Is it something I need to help me get a place?

Thank you

I believe that starting the training will help with exams. However on the other hand, having passed one of the papers will give the interview panel the impression that you are really serious about joining the training programme. It is however not mandatory to pass exams before you start your training

You didnt used to be able to sit the mrcpsych if you werent trianing. That might have changed when they changed the papers. To be honest, psych isnt particlarly competitive and you are probably  better off waiting to be in training...so you can actually integrate the knowledge and have a better chance of passing

Hi,

It depends what you want,if it's a  training post you want,you will get it if you are  appointable.

There is no harm in attempting exams  but money,time, and effort  generally are to be taken into consideration.

Having a Part A may be an advantage for an interview but it is not essential . The theory papers have reduced in no,you may have more time during your training to attempt exams,

All the best,Please see attached eligibilty criteria

http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/pdf/MRCPsych Exams Eligibility Criteria and Regulations effective 14 January 2015.pdf

You won't have any trouble getting a core training post! I would wait until you are in post, you'll have peer support, advice from the scheme and your supervisor etc. 

you'd be more likely to pass when you're training. I personally really benefited from having other trainees in the same boat. Also you'd be cramming random psych info into your brain when you're trying to do a busy medical job, maybe just focus on getting a good breadth of experience in other medical specialities; this will help you in the practical aspects of your psych jobs as no one else ever knows anything vaguely medical! 

silent_menace.... as you have already started revising, then keep the momentum going  

Nothing ventured nothing gained! It's never too early to start IMO 

1 person likes this

It's very impressive you are keen! There is time to do it all in core training and they won't expect you to have started your exams. I think the best way might be to get some extra psychiatry exposure which will give you something to talk about at interview. I am sure your local psych department would be happy to help with work experience days.  I don't know what deanery you are thinking about, but mine has an excellent MRCPSYCH course, which was really helpful for exam prep, plus you have the ability to study with others, which will be really important when you get to do the CASC. 

I agree.  The written exams have now been reduced to 2 so plenty of time during core training to complete them.  The eligibility was such that you could not take them before you entered the training programme and I think that makes sense as the exams are difficult and it ill make more sense once you are in practise.  If you want to show commitment or you are keen or want something to impress the interview panel join a psychsoc, attend conferences, do a shadowing week, do some research - plenty of things which will interest the interviewers more!

Thanks for all your help. I did start to revise for the exam and my previous degree in psychology helped with a lot of the theory, but I had to cancel my plans  due to unforseen circumstances. I appreciate all of your help, nice to know i'll be joining such a supportive group.

And don't worry - as everyone has said, loads of time to revise once you actually start... good luck with the application.