khushbakht

trust grade junior doctor psychiatry

9 posts in this topic

does anyone has any experience of working as a sho psychiatry.i m new to england hoping to work as a sho to get into training early...

I am a SHO in psych now. It is a beautiful job I have to say. To do the job well, you need some broad medical knowledge. 

Currently a CT1 in psych and enjoying it! I find it more rewarding seeing patients get well and discharged compared to other specialties I had worked during my foundation years.

You will need sound medical knowledge as your reg/consultants will be looking to you for medical advice. 

does anyone has any experience of working as a sho psychiatry.i m new to england hoping to work as a sho to get into training early...

hello, 

its a brilliant field and I thoroughly enjoy wiring in psychiatry. I am a ct3 , apply for training which usually is out by Feb for August intake . All the best 

Before joining the training programme I worked as SHO in psychiatry. It gave me the necessary experience and exposure 

Edited by HB

I have really enjoyed my job

Agree that you do need a good grounding in medicine as you will be seen as the medical person in the team/ward.

As above, a really good, well rounded medical knowledge is needed.

Working is great but dealing with MRCPsych exams and contracts can be demoralising 

you are gonna be the GP of the ward, so be prepared for that :)