Ranamoharram

CASC September 2015 Results Interpreter

26 posts in this topic

Hello. In the result letter they say things like "mse or history" and I can never tell which station that was. Could anyone tell me the title they give and what the relevant station was as i failed and want to see what I can improve. Thank you

1 person likes this

Yes I also would like to ask if anyone sitting CASC on 9 September can recall the stations by number.

In the feedback it says

AFTERNOON SIMPLE STATIONS

1. Specific treatment explanation: Can anyone recall if this is ECT or Dementia drugs?

2. Cognitive state: This is about a man wandering in the street ended up in A&E as far as I can remember. I did MMSE and Frontal lobe and I failed. Anyone who pass please share your approach?

3. History: Can anyone recall if this is LD/ASD or Akathesia or Alcohol&depression?

4. History: same as 3

5. Risk Assessment: I think this is erotomania

6. Illness explanation: Is this the one with 12 weeks pregnant lady with schizophrenia worried about risk of schizophrenia to her baby?

7. Specific treatment explanation: same as 1

8. History: same as 3 and 4

I will appreciate it much if anyone able to recall those stations in order

Edited by ppaung
Need to clarify I am asking about SIMPLE stations

1 was antidementia medications, 3 Ld,4 akathisia,6 pregnant with scizophrenia,   7 ect, 8 alcohol and depression

1 person likes this

I also failed the cognitive states but only did and MMSE really don't know what they wanted!!

2 people like this

Hi Many thanks for the response 

I passed 1, 4, 5, 8. Does anyone pass the LD and the pregnant woman stations? Can you please share how you approach?

many thanks 

On the same day 9 September in the morning paired station

Station 7&8 Mental state examination and management

Again, will appreciate it if anyone can share your experience/approach to them as I did not pass

I can only recall that the actor was a young man who was quiet

Edited by ppaung

I did not these as well. He was looking as was hearing voices he had paranoid ideas about food poision by roommates also parents, was hearing voices from his roommates, was low in mood and i believe had some risk to self too. explaination to mum i believe was about nice guideline 2014 for schizophrenia management, i did wrong explaining how it is more in real life, she was asking about cbt in acute phase, medications, prognosis

Can you give your feedback about passed stantions

I think in that station was non verbal clue how he looked somewhere as he was listening or seeing something need to ask him about it 

Edited by dianushka

I passed MMSE but didn't pass the CASC.

I asked him if he had any  problem with hearing or vision.

Then covered Confabulation etc

MMSE plus Frontal and digit span.

Did anyone pass the Akathasia station and the 

pregnant lady station as I did not.I didn't remember the percentage so I didn't give her wrong information but that's not enough.

My Akathasia patient was so restless and agitated and I kept on standing with him.Maybe that's why I failed.

I passed akathisia first tried to calm him down saying i want to help commented that it must be very difficult etc asked some questions  what happened he was difficult as wanted immedaite relief of his problem i think i was saying we are here to help him again he told he had problem at work and girlfriend and had medication from gp caused restlessness  stopped taking it i expained treatment with b blocker and benzo told may take some time to work said will come back again to clarify more details about what happened before he was given medication by gp  he did not have psychotic symptoms 

Did he sit on the chair 

I tried everything but he didn't calm down.

Did you sit?

Yes i sat he sat for a short time only 

What about Ld station

Edited by dianushka

I passed Akathesia I asked if it is ok if I sit then a while later he also sit I asked him about all EPSE then explained the management according to the maudsley 

Doc2 what do you ask about Confabulation in MMSE? Was he confused? Did you cover All in MMSE? 

I asked about time place person he was not able to tell who he is. I think I forget to ask naming. I didn't do digit span. 

I passed capacity assessment. I asked registration and he asked me why. I told him I wanted to see if he is able to register the information. I couldn't cover four areas but still pass. 

Cognitive exam I have passed twice before but failed this time. Even when I felt my approach was more realistic this time. Depends on the examiner as well.

im so heart broken after failing my third attempt ,i have lost confidence completely and dont have courage to sit this unfair exam again.im not a uk trained doctor but am working in psych for last 6 years ,i dont knw what on earth must the candidates do to make these unfair and biased examiners happy,loosing all the money in travelling and fees i dont have energy to loose more i think its like a gamble you want to try once and then loose ,very difficult to stop.........

1 person likes this

im so heart broken after failing my third attempt ,i have lost confidence completely and dont have courage to sit this unfair exam again.im not a uk trained doctor but am working in psych for last 6 years ,i dont knw what on earth must the candidates do to make these unfair and biased examiners happy,loosing all the money in travelling and fees i dont have energy to loose more i think its like a gamble you want to try once and then loose ,very difficult to stop.........

I know it's difficult but you have to put it behind you and keep trying.  Once you pass it will all be behind you just have to keep trying until luck, knowledge and communication all come together and you get the pass.

Luck plays a huge part, particularly for overseas candidates, but it's not everything, focus on the parts you can change, the knowledge and communication, don't just fall into trap of thinking it's all luck and bias, they play a part, but you can't change that, you can change the other parts and keep improving and practising.  Don't give up.

1 person likes this

I asked him how did he come to A&E?

who did he come here with

Then whole MMSE.I said I am going to do a memory test I will give you clear instructions if you are not sure you can ask me again.

Was polite but had good practice of MMSE so was fluent.

What did you guys do in the Capacity assessment part B as I failed that.

I didn't pass the LD one although I had thought I would.

I covered all risk in Erotomania station and still failed ? No idea why?

1 person likes this

I passed erotomania. Asked about sexual fantasy as well. Followed the format of HCR. Finished with historic risk where he handcuffed the previous partner. Just followed SPMM video.

Asked what will you do next if you see her and he said he would have taken her to bed. Then will handcuff her. Then I asked if he has ever done. He said yes. 

Edited by ppaung
1 person likes this

Ok, thanks for that information.He told me he never had any partner in the past.Had fantasies about having children with her. He said he didn't have any information about the nurse where she lived etc or if had any partner.I covered all risk past present future,forensic, drugs alcohol, mental health, children, jobless ,homeless. Acess to weapons DSH, third party, Homicide

Maybe I should have explored it more about his fantasies.

can anyone please comment on Capacity station B? I passed the first one but failed the linked one, discussion with daughter.

they used to send out mark sheets so you know what actually went wrong for those who didn't make it. For some reason they stop doing that, I still found the first and only set of mark sheets very useful because you know what they're marking on (3-5 broad domains only). 
The so called general feedback is not very helpful in general.

1 person likes this

Has anyone who failed received feedback about their exam cause I haven't received any yet and I thought they were supposed to send it within 2 weeks?

1. Not yet, I think they will email it. It is not very useful or helpful at all. It is the same feedback to everyone who failed in particular area .

English trainees fail the exam too, but don't loose your courage. Put the money concern to aside. There is something you are not demonstrating they are expecting as a higher speciality trainee I mean to become a consultant so focus on that. It may not be to do with knowledge but perhaps how you demonstrate knowing the knowledge plus whether you understand what patients/ relative want. It may be the cue. 

The exam in not about you but about your handling of the person in front of you.

Thomas Edison failed 1000times before inventing the light!

Keep courage and persevere 

1 person likes this