ikemeghara

sedation with aripiprazole

5 posts in this topic

I am aware that aripiprazole is a partial agonist at d2 receptors and as such has an activating effect. Lately, I have been having patients reporting sedation on aripiprazole. Has anyone had similar experiences?

It can go either way. Some people seem to get more blockade effects, some people seem to get more agonist effects.  Research results ie nice and bnf give us some info, but in the end, it's an N=1 trial. I tell my patients they have to suck it and see. The list of side-effects is twice as long, and contradictory, (insomnia and somnolence) but they won't get all- or even half- of them.

Hi there. I literally had a patient in clinic this week complaining of sedation on Aripiprazole. I said it was very unusual but could happen (as Dr Wood explains above). I guess its partial agonist status renders it less predictable than other antipsychotics we use. The few patients (3!) I have had who felt sedated stuck with it and seemed less so after a month or thereabouts.

Yes I had and they were actually more happy with it as they are using it as sleeping tablets.