khoker

Exam on friday 11 sep 2015

10 posts in this topic

Hi any body who passed their casc on friday 11 september 2015,i havent heard from any body

Anyone who passed on 11th sept, please post here your advice/experience here

Dear Whiterabbit

I gave my CASC on the last day i.e Sept 11th and passed 13/16 stations and scored above the average pass mark calculated.

My advice would be whilst its good to be aware of what other people's experience has been, at the end of the day 'it's each to their own'.

My approach was rather conventional and orthodox, in the sense that I was told by seniors and peers to practise as much as I could, see videos, go for mocks but I did none and only relied on reading the seshni moodliar book. What I am trying to explain is that you know yourself best and should try and prepare for the exam accordingly whether that be practising with colleagues or reading on your own.

As far as the experience of the exam was concerned it was my first attempt at it and I was quite nervous. I guess luck played a huge factor as candidates on the last day had a few repeats from the first three days and so when I went into the first cubicle and realised I had read up on that particular station more recently I felt at ease and in my stride. However I would also like to add that even if you are aware of stations from previous days in advance that in in itself does not guarantee you passing as you would still have to go and perform the task. The important thing to remember is that just be yourself as you would during day to day practise. There is no expectation of you to know everything, besides even if you did there is a very small chance you would be able to cover it all in the allocated time. Time flies very quick and even stations you might have felt you messed up, in might not actually be the case. I felt I was horribly poor in the cranial nerves station and was dead confident I had failed it but to my surprise passed it. There were others such as psychotherapy which I was sure I would pass but ended up failing. So dont let a bad station affect you as you dont know how you ar being marked and although might think you have done poorly in it, could still pass.

Good luck and i hope this helps.

Edited by docgmchrc
1 person likes this

Dear Whiterabbit

I gave my CASC on the last day i.e Sept 11th and passed 13/16 stations and scored above the average pass mark calculated.

My advice would be whilst its good to be aware of what other people's experience has been, at the end of the day 'it's each to their own'.

My approach was rather conventional and orthodox, in the sense that I was told by seniors and peers to practise as much as I could, see videos, go for mocks but I did none and only relied on reading the seshni moodliar book. What I am trying to explain is that you know yourself best and should try and prepare for the exam accordingly whether that be practising with colleagues or reading on your own.

As far as the experience of the exam was concerned it was my first attempt at it and I was quite nervous. I guess luck played a huge factor as candidates on the last day had a few repeats from the first three days and so when I went into the first cubicle and realised I had read up on that particular station more recently I felt at ease and in my stride. However I would also like to add that even if you are aware of stations from previous days in advance that in in itself does not guarantee you passing as you would still have to go and perform the task. The important thing to remember is that just be yourself as you would during day to day practise. There is no expectation of you to know everything, besides even if you did there is a very small chance you would be able to cover it all in the allocated time. Time flies very quick and even stations you might have felt you messed up, in might not actually be the case. I felt I was horribly poor in the cranial nerves station and was dead confident I had failed it but to my surprise passed it. There were others such as psychotherapy which I was sure I would pass but ended up failing. So dont let a bad station affect you as you dont know how you ar being marked and although might think you have done poorly in it, could still pass.

Good luck and i hope this helps.

Hi thnks for ur reply,what you did in frontal lobe examination station 

The frontal lobe station was pretty standard from the pass the casc book. Start by ensuring patient does not have any deficits in hearing or vision, reading or writing. Explain you need to carry out a few tests pertaining to his memory and that you will go slow but should he have any difficulty following you, then you would be happy to repeat yourself and make it easier to understand.

Start by asking to name as many words with the letter a/s/f as he can think of in 1 minute, Next difference and similarity between apple/orange. Next proverb testing then cognitive estimates. Luria test and go-no-go test. The task clearly stated that the cognitive exam should focus on frontal lobe but not be limited to it so i also checked for executive functioning and did MMSE. Hope that helps

The frontal lobe station was pretty standard from the pass the casc book. Start by ensuring patient does not have any deficits in hearing or vision, reading or writing. Explain you need to carry out a few tests pertaining to his memory and that you will go slow but should he have any difficulty following you, then you would be happy to repeat yourself and make it easier to understand.

Start by asking to name as many words with the letter a/s/f as he can think of in 1 minute, Next difference and similarity between apple/orange. Next proverb testing then cognitive estimates. Luria test and go-no-go test. The task clearly stated that the cognitive exam should focus on frontal lobe but not be limited to it so i also checked for executive functioning and did MMSE. Hope that helps

Did u have time for whole mmse as frontal lobe takes time

wow........In addition to the Frontal lobe test .............Executive functioning and MMSE..........by the way what did u do for the executive fn:

Edited by whiterabbit

I didn't have time to complete the entire MMSE. As long as you get to Recall you should be fine. For executive functioning draw a large square and ask patient to imagine its a field which he walked into and then went back to his car only to realise he had dropped his keys in the field. Ask him to show you how he would go about looking for the keys

My approach is building the scene first, having a general conversation and try to elicit their orientation to time and place (one of the domains in the exam mark sheet, and it makes sense to check that first). Then explain that you're going to run a few memory test but you will explain yourself as you go along, may it be frontal, parietal/temporal etc.

I agree the actual test bit, everyone would be doing the same thing, but it's the setup that will differentiate.
If you're doing a full MMSE, do it as though you're tracking the score, so it looks like you know what you're doing.